FOMM, FOSE Stop working - Hell, they won't even start

ItchyAlgae

I really didn't want to be the guy to post a tired topic, much less as a first post, so much appreciation for those who stick this out with me. I've read the readme files, searched Google, searched the forum, watched tutorials and YouTube vids and I'm coming up empty.

Whether I try to launch via FOMM or Steam or directly from FOSE I get the same crash as the game tries to load - "Fallout 3 stopped working." I'm running Windows 7/64-bit. Fallout 3 GOTY edition from Steam. FOMM and Fallout 3 are both installed under Program Files. I installed all my mods via FOMM and had BOSS auto-sort everything. FOSE is located in the correct spot, inside the Fallout 3 GOTY folder and not in Data.

A few questions, in addition to my general "Help! Get me out of this!" plea:

If I uninstall FOMM and reinstall it on the C: outside Program Files, will I lose all my mods and have to start over?
Should/can I simply move the Fallout 3 GOTY folder out of Program Files/Steam and into C:\Games?

For anyone who wants to see my load order as set by BOSS, look below. Note: BOSS didn't recognize FO3 WRP and Sydney PB Appearance (naturally, since I made that last one according to the Sydney Follower mod's instructions), so it put them at the bottom. I've tried putting Sydney PB Appearance above the Sydney Load Order Fix as well, but that did nothing.

Fallout 3.esm

Anchorage.esm

ThePitt.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

PointLookout.esm

Zeta.esm

CRAFT.esm

CALIBR.esm

Project Beauty.esm

EVE.esm

FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - Alternate Travel.esp

Sydney Follower.esp

Project Beauty - Broken Steel.esp

Project Beauty - Point Lookout.esp

DynamicCrosshair.esp

eyes_hairpack_en.esp (Saram Hair)

CASM.esp

GNR Enhanced.esp

megalight.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - Followers Enhanced (Broken Steel).esp

Sydney Follower - Recruitment Fix.esp

Sydney Follower - FWE Dialog Fix.esp

Fellout-Full.esp

Fellout-Anchorage.esp

Fellout-BrokenSteel.eso

Fellout-PointLookout.esp

Sydney Follower - Load Order Fix.esp

Blackened FWE + MMM + EVE + Project Beauty.esp

FO3-WRP.esp

Sydney PB Appearance.esp (copied over Sydney's face from Project Beauty and custom hair from Saram Hair to the Sydney's default appearance)

Edited by ItchyAlgae

Uninstall and delete Blackened FWE + MMM + EVE + Project Beauty.esp. You do not have Marts Mutant Mod (MMM) and having this without the master will cause an immediate CTD.

You do not have to do anything with FOMM. Leave it alone. You cannot just move FO3. It must be uninstalled and reinstalled. There are programs that rely on the registry entry to locate FO3. Of course, if you know how to edit the reistry you can just move it.

Also, see this for proper instructions for installing FO3 in Windows 7 with a multicore CPU. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1465357-installing-fallout-3-with-windows-78-and-xp/

Uninstall and delete Blackened FWE + MMM + EVE + Project Beauty.esp. You do not have Marts Mutant Mod (MMM) and having this without the master will cause an immediate CTD.

Ahhh, bingo. Uncheck, deactivate, and delete and it starts up just fine. Much thanks. I see recommendations to run either FOIP (which is stated by modders to interfere with several of my mods) or Blackened when combining these particular mods. They've got a FWE - EVE patch, but no FWE - EVE - Project Beauty patch. Should I bother installing Blackened FWE - EVE?

Also, my PC is multi-core, but I just went through the install normally, as in not in step with the link you provided. Since it's working right now, should I just leave it as is (at least unless or until I run into a problem)? Or is this something I should nip in the bud and do now? And if I do uninstall/reinstall FO3 into the Games folder, will I have to reload all my mods?

Edited by ItchyAlgae

The instructions in the link I provided are not a pick and choose proposition. They are instructions on how to get the game running with multicore CPUs on a Windows 7 or higher system. It is either do all or suffer a poor game experience.

As far as your mods go, you don't have that many to worry about having to reinstall them.

About your patches, I can't give you an answer since we only have FWE in common. I don't use EVE, Project Beauty or MMM or other mods that require mutiple patches to make them work. There are plenty of alternatives available that do just about the same things without adding a lot of extra strain on my old equipment.

The instructions in the link I provided are not a pick and choose proposition. They are instructions on how to get the game running with multicore CPUs on a Windows 7 or higher system. It is either do all or suffer a poor game experience.

As far as your mods go, you don't have that many to worry about having to reinstall them.

Not quite what I meant, but I figured in the time it'd take me to keep jawing about it I could just do a clean install, so that's what I did. It's all set up according to that link, though since it was last updated Steam removed the need for Fallout 3 users to have Games for Windows Live installed, so anybody reading this from here on out should ignore that part.

I see recommendations to run either FOIP (which is stated by modders to interfere with several of my mods) or Blackened when combining these particular mods. They've got a FWE - EVE patch, but no FWE - EVE - Project Beauty patch. Should I bother installing Blackened FWE - EVE?

Well, nobody ever asked for a FWE - EVE - Project Beauty patch.

Regardless, there's very few conflicts between FWE and Project Beauty, but there are quite a few conflicts between FWE and EVE. Enough to recommend using a patch.

Game starts up fine, but when I get to the Hair section of the Character Creation, I get this:

http://s20.postimg.org/j2cy40xul/Fallout3_2012_12_28_22_58_49_26.png

Looks like a missing mesh or texture. I made sure there's no mesh folder inside another mesh folder, but there wasn't. I disabled Project Beauty and still got the screen. Everything installed over fine this morning when I started from scratch. Any guesses?

Edit - Here are a few pictures of all the hair meshes found in Data/Meshes/Characters/Hair. The Character Creation was fine up until Hair.

Edited by ItchyAlgae

Solved. I'd had Sarem Hair Pack installed but also Project Beauty. PB includes Sarem already, turns out, so disabling Sarem got the hair textures working. Thanks again M48A5 and Rampage for pointing me in the right direction to get it all working.

Edited by ItchyAlgae