Trying out new installation order, suggestions are very welcome

I've never used the NMM, but my understanding is that it cannot install override mods, and it cannot correctly handle an archive that contains more than one DAZIP, or a DAZIP and other files.

Working from that assumption, of the mods you've listed that I am conversant with, and off the top of my head, these are problematic/worth commenting on:

6. Make CONSOLE commands visible - This is just a font file. it doesn't conflict with anything.

7. JB3 Textures - This is an override mod, and should not be installed with the NMM.

8. JB3 Environment - This is an override mod, and should not be installed with the NMM.

11. Lock Bash - Cannot be installed using the Nexus Mod Manager. (Even if there is a green button that tricks you into thinking otherwise.) The archive contains TWO DAZIPs; the NMM won't install them. Also, this mod requires a manual edit of your DragonAge.ini file.

12. FtG UI Mod - Probably should not be installed with NMM; the archive also contains a configuration utility.

13. Madd Gift Guide - This is an override mod, and should not be installed with the NMM.

15. White Teeth - This is an override mod, and should not be installed with the NMM.
12. FtG UI Mod - I wouldn't install this with NMM. The archive also contains a configuration utility.

18. ZDF Dialog Fix (ZDF Complete v2_1 Dialog Tweaks Compatible) - This is an override mod, and should not be installed using the Nexus Mod Manager.

21. DLC in Awakening and Awakening Fixes - This is an override mod, and should not be installed using the Nexus Mod Manager.

23. Origins Faster Combat, Faster_Combat_v1 - This is an override mod, and should not be installed using the Nexus Mod Manager.

26. Extended Dog Talents - The archive contains two DAZIPs. Don't use the NMM.

28. Tiny Fixes - Another override mod. Cannot be installed using the Nexus Mod Manager.

29. Forced Deathblows (Deathblows Lieutenants version) - Override. Ixnay on the NMM.

30. Awakening Silverite Mines Bugfix - Override. Don't use NMM.

31. Auto Loot 1.12 - The download link for v 1.13 is bugged. You can download the most recent version from BSN. (Note that this mod requires carefully configuration by an edit of the DragonAge.ini file, else it can break certain quests by looting containers - i.e. the Carta stashes. It will also make storage like the Warden's Keep chest unusable unless it is configured to ignore those containers. Another, less intrusive solution to looting is Area Loot.)

35. Gift Guide - Awakening - This is an override mod, and should not be installed using the Nexus Mod Manager.

34. No Follower Auto Level - Not needed, since you've already disabled autoleveling with DA Mutator, no? FWIW, this mod can be configured with a DragonAge.ini edit for more... nuance in how follows don't auto level. *shrug*

36. Less barking dog - Override. Don't use NMM.

tl;dr: It's very very important to read the install instructions for each mod and follow them. The Nexus Mod Manager is not the best choice for managing and installing mods for DAO/DAA. (I recommend the native DAUpdater to install most DAZIPs, and DAO-Modmanager for management.) One should not assume that a 'Download with Manager' button means the NMM can actually handle that mod; it appears by default, and requires action by the mod's author to remove it.

Finally, if the conflict you've noted between DA Redesigned and JB3 textures is the replacement of the default skin/eye textures added by the latter mod, those files can be removed from the override.

Edited by theskymoves

With the Eclipse game engine used by DAO/DA2, mods don't "conflict" (at least, not very often. Improved Atmosphere is the best-known exception) and there is no "load order" in the conventional (BethSoft) sense. What there is, is a strict "alphanumeric search, by filename-and-(sub-)folder level" performed by the game engine looking for the appropriate files.

The game can/will use ONLY ONE version of any given file.

It works like this:

Say you want to use an NPC facemorph for Wynne.

The file that the game uses for Wynne's appearance is: "hf_genfl_wynne.mor".

The game looks first in its own "\Program Files (x86)\Dragon Age\bin_ship..." folders and obviously finds such a file.

So the "Use this" flag gets set.

Then it looks in the "\Program Files (x86)\Dragon Age\packages\core\override" folder.

If it finds a file with that name, the first file's "Use this" flag gets cleared, and the new one's get set.

Then it looks in the PLAYER'S profile "\Bioware\Dragon Age\packages\core\override" folder.

If it finds a file with that name, any previous "Use this" flag gets cleared, and this new one's get set.

And now things get even trickier...

Let's say you have TWO sub-folders under your "\Bioware\Dragon Age\packages\core\override" folder, both containing a file named; "hf_genfl_wynne.mor". One folder is named "Better Wynne", and the other "Pretty Wynne".

Since the game will look at each folder level in alphanumeric order, it finds the one in "Better Wynne" first, sets the "Use this" flag, then finds the "Pretty Wynne" one next, and voilà, "Pretty Wynne" wins!

But change the FOLDER name of the second one to "A Pretty Wynne", and the one found in "Better Wynne" will be used instead. :tongue:

See? Simple! :thumbsup:

So, for your situation, to know which files would be used when there are multiple copies in different mods, you'd have to know what FOLDER names you selected for them when you put them on your machine, (Oh, and which sub-folder level they were in, since all the folders at each level are searched for any relevant files before the next sub-level is examined at all. Then those are searched, again in alphanumeric order.)

The way I think of it is this: "The last file (by name) in an alphanumeric/folder-level hierarchy is the one that will appear in-game! What mod that file is part of makes no difference." :cool:

[EDIT: I have been running with both Qwinn's Unofficial FixPack, and the DA Rules FixPack for years now. I know that some of the latter's changes are not actually being used because the former has some of the exact same filenames and is placed in a "later" foldername. If I really cared to examine things in detail I'd do a listing of the two mods and scrutinize the readmes, (both have excellent documentation) then determine which file I wanted to keep and delete the other. But ya' know what? I've completed over two-dozen playthroughs this way. Doesn't seem to be that big a deal! :laugh: ]

Edited by Thandal
Forgot to answer the specific question.

I actively use:

o Manual installs

o DAUpdater

o DAO-ModManager (DAMM) my personal favourite and required for any ".override" mods

o Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) which was not designed for the DA-series and has the limitations that TSM mentions above

o Terra_Ex's outstanding utility "CharGenMorph Compiler"

All of these work well together, if you pay attention to what you're doing!

See the article: Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies.

NOTE: I've never used DA-Modder (DAM), so can't speak to how well it works.