can't import face with wyrebash

starkbier

hi,

i am trying to import a face from a decent savegame to a self-created plugin (npc mod). But it simply won't change anything. am i doing something wrong?

rightclick on plugin / import face / selecting savegame / and i get message: face imported.

1. No change. Any idea?

oh, and, this face was created with facegen modeller. i converted it for a character with facegen to oblivion converter.

BUT: i tried with a savegame (face made ingame, so original), still no effect.

2. is there another way besides using wyrebash to import a face from a savegame to a plugin??

chris

Okay, I could be wrong about this.

But I think Wrye Bash is only able to copy a face from one save file to another save file.

I don't think it's actually able to put the face into the CS.

Maybe I'm wrong about that?

If all else fails, you can manually create the face in the CS.

it should be able to put the face into the plugin, why else would there this option be ?

and creating a new face in the cs will NEVER have the result i wanted to have. so thats not an option ..

pls help.

I will help, I suspect you're doing things backwards.

What is the name of the file with the FACE IN IT?

What is the name of your plugin, which is where you'd like to put the face?

Say, your saved game file is called: Save 57 - Lolita - Sigillum Sanguis, Level 10, Playing Time 31.13.14 and it's Lolita's face you're wanting to put in your new mod, which we'll call Nabokov's Lament.

You have to select the mod, so go to the mods tab and find "Nabokov's Lament" and right click, from the context menu choose Import and then Face.

Your saved game folder should open automatically, search through it to find Save 57 - Lolita - Sigillum Sanguis, Level 10, Playing Time 31.13.14 , to get her since that's her source.

Then select it and open and you'll get a message that says [ Imported face to sg.something.Lolita.and.some.number ]

Then open your mod in the CS and look for Lolita in the NPCs and make sure she transferred properly.. as she may need to be dependent on the cosmetic mod used to create her.

and creating a new face in the cs will NEVER have the result i wanted to have. so thats not an option ..

It's very easy to copy faces in the CS, as long as it's from mod to mod. It's useful to use Wrye bash to create a face library plugin of characters you have made in game, for that purpose.

Edited by myrmaad

err, how do i make the plugin dependent on the cosmetic mod used to create it? in wyrebash or in the cs? how do i make a face library plugin? how do i use them?

i got all steps till where u say "Then open your mod in the CS and look for Lolita in the NPCs and make sure she transferred properly.. as she may need to be dependent on the cosmetic mod used to create her."

i applied the face on a character mod because you said "It's very easy to copy faces in the CS, as long as it's from mod to mod. It's useful to use Wrye bash to create a face library plugin of characters you have made in game, for that purpose." but then importing from that face has still 0 effect like before.

im very sorry for being such a bloody noob ... and wasting your time ... my skills with this modding are extremely limited ... thx for helping though

err, how do i make the plugin dependent on the cosmetic mod used to create it? in wyrebash or in the cs? how do i make a face library plugin? how do i use them?

i got all steps till where u say "Then open your mod in the CS and look for Lolita in the NPCs and make sure she transferred properly.. as she may need to be dependent on the cosmetic mod used to create her."

i applied the face on a character mod because you said "It's very easy to copy faces in the CS, as long as it's from mod to mod. It's useful to use Wrye bash to create a face library plugin of characters you have made in game, for that purpose." but then importing from that face has still 0 effect like before.

im very sorry for being such a bloody noob ... and wasting your time ... my skills with this modding are extremely limited ... thx for helping though

hmm.

Let's see..

You can check your mod by looking in the NPC list for your character, "Lolita"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image_1.jpg

In my case the character is "Siobhan"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image19.jpg

You can copy her face and paste it onto any other NPC, even other races. It only copies the bone structure, not the hair, eyes or textures.

Here are some examples of copying and pasting faces:

NPC I want to change: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image6-2.jpg Face I'm going to copy: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image8-1.jpg Copied Face: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image7-2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image11.jpg http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image9-1.jpg http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image10.jpg

You can even copy the facial structure across races but I forgot to get screens of that.

Now, once you have your copied NPC from Face Library, it could look like this if you don't have the mods loaded it depends on it could look like a mess so make sure you when you load your face library plugin, you also load Oblivion.esm (of course) and any beauty plugins you use. I use a master file and plugin combination I created myself so when I load Siobhan face libaray this is what happens when I only select Oblivion.esm and Face Library.esp :

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image18.jpg http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/otherstuff/oblivion/techstuff/th_Image24.jpg

So in order to get the hair skin and eyes I have to load all my beauty mods I used to make the character originally. Since I have changed my beauty mods drastically since I originally created this character, she has a completely different head mesh and skin texture than she did when I made her. So she still looks off to me, but much better than without the beauty mods loaded.

After you've loaded Oblivion.esm and your beauty mod, you can use the construction set to combine them into a new plugin that's independent of the others:

In my case I have selected closed the construction set, and reopened, marking an X next to

Oblivion.esm

Hair and eyes by me.esm

Pretty People.esp

and selecting Faces Library.esp as my ACTIVE PLUGIN and clicking OK, to load them all.

Then click File / Tools / Combine Loaded Plugins

and then save with a new name.

Then you can test it out by loading only this newly created plugin and it should work fine:

I named mine Faces.esp and only loaded Oblivion.esm and it:

And here she is again. I personally would not use this face for a main character without doing a lot of tweaking, though.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/Sea.../notsogreat.jpg

Edited by myrmaad

thank you, it works now. the face though doesnt really look like the original one on the main character i made, how's that? i copy and paste. u mentioned that it needs tweaking. is there no way to copy it 100%? its not really the same, u know ... and tweaking it again and again makes the result ... well, this is not what i expect after so many hours of work.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the tutorial that DesuChan gave me, that Fallen20 showed her, you can re-check all the steps to see if we missed something, this worked for me several times perfectly with my male character. The only step I didn't use was to make the cosmetic master, because I already have another I'm using now, and I was worried they would conflict. But, on rethinking it, if this plugin is the only one dependent on that master it should be fine. That was the one step that was different when I remade my Mannyx companion character into a playable character, I'm soon planning to have him re-unite with his wife, my original player character who will now be his companion, and I will have to use a beauty master to make her since, as I said, I've since made my own beauty mod.

PS I used this information, plus my wrye bash face exchange tutorial plus the companion face to player character tutorial to change Mannyx from companion to player character as referenced in my tutorial here.

1. Go to your Wrye Bash directory. You should see a folder called EXTRAS. Inside, there should be two files: one is a bashed list 0.esp (might not be there if you're using an older version of Wrye Bash) and 2. a file called blank.esp

2. Copy blank.esp and paste it into your Oblivion/data directory. Rename the .esp file to something you'll remember, like face library.esp. This file is going to keep all of the faces that you import into it. So techincally, you could import hundreds of faces into this file for safe-keeping if you wanted to.

3. Open up Wrye Bash

4. Click on the tab that says "mods".

5. Locate the file that you just named (face library.esp or whatever it was), right-click on it and choose Import -> Face

6. Locate the savegame that you want to import the face FROM. (in this case it would be the Jade the Tabaxi.ess savegame) then hit OK. You will get a message that says "Imported SG -something-something-name of character-PC.

NOTE: If the character that you want to use uses a cosmetic mod like beautiful people, you need to follow these extra steps:

a) Find the name of the cosmetic esp (ie beautiful people.esp) in the Wrye Bash "Mods" tab

B) Right-click, and then click on "Copy to .Esm". What this is going to do, is it's going to allow your companion mod to use the .esm instead of .esp file to look for hair/eyes/etc

7. Open up the TESCS (construction set)

8. Click on the little folder icon to load the .esp's you're going to be with. Put an X next to Face Library.esp, the name of the companion mod's .esp you're using (the popular choice would be Companion Neeshka, so put an X next to companion Neeshka.esp, or whatever mod you're using), and the name of the cosmetic .ESM you made if it applies (NOT the .esp. So for beautiful people, you would use beautiful people.esm, not .esp. Very important!) We'll also need to load the custom race plugin Tabaxi_whateverbody.esp you're using.

9. Set your companion mod's .esp as the Active file and click "OK"

10. After everything loads, look in the Object Window. Click once under the column "Name" to sort the list alphabetically by name so we can find what we're looking for faster.

11. Locate Jade under the name tab and double-click on her row to bring up her info

12. Locate your companion's name (in this case, Neeshka) under the name tab and double-click on it to bring up your companion's info

13. We're going to be transfering information FROM Jade and INTO Neeshka. So first thing we'll do is change Neeshka's name to Jade. NOTE: DO NOT CHANGE THE ID COLUMN (where it says 1ncmNeeshka) change ONLY the name (Neeshka) column.

14. Now lets change Neeshka's race from Dark Elf to Tabaxi.

15. Now click on the Face Advanced tab (it's the furthest right, you might have to click on the little arrows on the top left of the render window to get to it). Do this for both the Neeshka window and the Jade window.

16. Go to the Jade NPC window and click "COPY". Now go to the Neeshka NPC window and click "PASTE". You have just copied and pasted the slider settings from Neeshka to Jade.

17. Almost done. Now underneath the NPC box for Neeshka, you'll see options for "Hair" and "Eyes". Set the hair to "soyahair03" and the eyes to "tabaxi18".

18. Click OK on both NPC menus to close them.

19. Click on the little floppy drive icon on the top left of the TESCS menu to save your changes.

20. Open up the OBMM and activate everything like you normaly would, but DON'T FORGET TO ACTIVATE YOUR COSMETIC MOD'S .ESM. Even if you, lets say use Beautiful People for your companion and your main character, your character uses BP.esp, your companion uses BP.esm. Anytime you load your companion, you need to load your .esm as well! Otherwize she will end up bald in-game!

Edited by myrmaad

• 1 year later...

Im having problems as well, i cant get the face to be imported it comes up with this box with this:

wxPython: stdout/stderr

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "bash\basher", line 12802, in Execute

File "bash\bosh", line 13095, in save_getFace

File "bash\bosh", line 13185, in save_getPlayerFace

File "bash\bosh", line 13080, in save_getNamePos

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xb6 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

Dont get why its doing this, everything has been downloaded and installed, help please? Thanks.