Fose

tony1892

:wallbash: well i have just re-installed my fallout 3 game along with the dlc and latest updates but when i try to use FOSE it says you have the retail version of fallout 3 please update :blink: i dont know what to do........ oh and i have the stable version of Fose also.

hahahah I think I can remember doing that. Fose can be sort of complex if you haven't done it before. FOSE was updated along with each of the Game updates (patches) So one version of FOSE works for 1.0 then 1.0.32 or 1.4 or 1.5 1.6 1.7 there's a bunch of them. All you need is the 1.7 patch update for fallout 3 then the FOSE version which is for 1.7. stable/beta doesn't really matter, FOSE is a good Clean program.

You can jump right on in if you like, but eventually you'll see that you need to follow a guide for this kind of thing. I would say read the ones which Nexus uses, as it would be the most current.

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=120735

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=125185

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=83642

It's only ever going to run as smooth as the amount of effort you put into the build an set up. Which is why I might drag a build out into a few days time or even spread that build out over a few months depending on how complex it is.

I start with installing the game (outside of program files) cause that's what we used to do, an I figure it's good luck. C:/bethesda softworks/fallout3 instead of C:/program files/bethesda softworks/fallout3 which is the default path. It's not as common nowdays but we used to run into problems from windows putting security risks on things inside of program files. Then someone who has gone mod crazy might end up with a fallout 3 folder which is about 15-20 Gb in size which would be a good idea to have it's own folder on the hard drive anyway besides the old trick an good luck thing.

Once I get it installed I'll patch it to 1.7 then immediatly I create a RAOTW (random a*****e of the wastes) Which is just a funny way to say a test game, then I go run around an try to make the game crash, and get a feel for how smooth it's running. Then I install the DLC's which are totally worth it BTW, and run another RAOTW test trying to make it crash. Which I'll see any issues if they come up durring this time. Kind of to get a baseline on what it should run like. Either now or as soon as I have updated the game I go ahead an get all the tools for it. GECK, GECK update, FOMM, FOSE, FO3edit, which all get installed to the bethesda softworks/fallout 3 folder (the one that has the data folder in it) I'm just used to having them an launching the game that way. FOMM will detect FOSE if it's installed so you launch FOMM, then FOMM will launch the game via FOSE.

Okay so I've been messing around an don't really know where to start on how to make things better. So I take my basic build an put it thru the ringer with the help from the tweekguide, making good decisions an testing when I make changes. http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

This is where and how I polish all the games grapics settings, plus the fallout 3 .ini notepad options files. Besides the stuff I learned in the tweek guide, the only thing I really do different is turn off fallout 3's AA an AF settings, then force whatever AA and AF I want via my grapics card control panel's "Override any application setting for AA" The AA an AF inside Fallout 3's software is low quality an also low performance. So you speed things up a bit keeping AA an AF being handled on the grapics card. YAY TIME FOR ANOTHER RAOTW.

I might even spent a few days doing this looking for issues an trying to fix them. Eventually I need mods. Which I found the best way is to get about 60-80 tiny really simple mods which just add a few things. The don't even really have much content in them if you ask me. It's just as hard to fix 60-80 of those as it is to fix a huge overhawl mod. Some of the overhawls use auto installers so you kind of need to ask yourself is it better for me to overwrite those files by installing 60-80 mods on top of the autoinstaller, or run the auto installer on top of just installing 60-80 mods. You see depending on which way you do it, where ever mods have changed the vanilla content or the same things, either one is going to overwrite the other where ever matching content shows up. Manual installs are best, opening the rar in one window then the data folder in the other, following them both down to see what they will or will not replace before you decide if you even want to use them. Yeah sure you can just blindly drag an drop the mod into your data folder an select yes to all, but there's no telling what you'll end up with.

So at the point where I ether have 60-80 tiny mods installed, or one huge overhawl. I come up with a load order, following the old rules or what the read me said. Fallout.esm is at the top of the list, then the DLC follows in the order they came out, then player made mod .esm's and then the plug in's which follow a tier system, but to tell the truth I never understood the tier system. So pretty much just put things that are alike together into groups. Armor with armor, perks with perks, weapons with weapons, and such. Once you think the load order is right try to launch fallout 3 to see if it crashes when you get to the load screen if you even get that far. Then if it crashes you can open and load the whole load order with FO3edit which will tell you where the problem is. Move something around, an yay now it will reach the load screen an even launch into the game world.

This is where FO3edit comes in. I'll create a merge patch (semi automated gathering of stuff on lists so that everything is on the list) Then fix all the stuff in the merge patch, then fix all the other stuff, start at the top an work my way down the whole load order. Recently I started just scanning over the dialog, worldspace, cell entries because they are huge. Everything else get's fixed by checking everything. This might even take a day or two days. With the big mod or the little 60-80 ones it's all pretty simple stuff, but I'm also giving final aproval upon how the build will work, too much damage, or too much of one thing or the other. I'll edit all that so it suits my needs. Once it's all fixed I'll master update that with FO3edit an start playing a real game. Then maybe two weeks later I get bored, so I delete all the save games, an go get another mod, maybe a huge complex one this time, to which I'll work into the load order as a seperate job, so that I can focus only on that. So remove the master update, delete the merge patch, then install the new mod into the load order an do the same thing you did before.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9616 Web-ensized FO3edit guide by CSB

yeah you can download 300 mods an maybe even get to smoosh them down into 255 so that they can be loaded with the FO3 plug in utility, which is how two mods get merged into one http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5104 which is sort of complex but easy. It's going to take about two weeks for you to fix that huge load order which you just dumpped into your fallout 3 data folder in a days time. Even then because it's so complex in nature, you might get to the last day of fixing an end up causing a problem which spreads thru the whole load order, making it impossible to fix, bam you're done, you have to delete it or use a backup of your .esm .esp, more than likely you'll run screaming out of the house with your arms flapping wildly in the air, an un-install the whole thing or you windows system, an get into a even deeper hole.

Hence why it's better to start out small or even simple then build upon that over a period of time of a few months, so that the time spent working is spaced out between long periods of totally awesome game play. This last install I made has lasted about 6 months now. It doesn't really have much in it, but the 20 installs before that didn't last very long at all.

There's a few key issues, like never autosave or quicksave, an never use the continue button, always load a save game, always press Esc an create a new save, then never delete any saves until you are ready to delete them all, then don't add mods to existing save games, as it can be risky, so I'll get to a point where I die a horible death, bam, delete all the save games, an then go work in a new mod, start over. Sometimes if you double load your save games it makes fallout run faster, load one, fast travel somewhere then when you get there spin the camera around an load the save game again.

Then out in the wastes it's a good idea to purge the cell buffer every so often, I use Groovatron's teleport ablity, which allows me to place a teleport marker out in the wasteland, then teleport to the total black room, open the console ~ PCB is the command to purge the cell buffer, then I'll teleport to the total white room, an then teleport back into the wasteland where I was just standing only with a clean cell buffer which is ready for performance. You could just PCB without the teleport, but there isn't always a door you can go thru which will force a new load up of where ever you are at. The teleport way seems to be the most safe way to PCB, just PCB'ing out whereever you are not forcing the load can cause crashses. In the tweekguide it talks about selective purge on fast travel in the fallout.ini, which yeah I use that, but PCB is a little different than selective purge.

well reinstall FOSE it or use the beta... Do you launch FOSE with FOMM?

I know you have to use the default fallout 3 launcher and GFWL (games for windows live)

right after you install it the first time so that you can put the key in

After that though most people will launch fallout from FOMM which is just launching the FOSE.exe

I mean if you did everything in the read me for FOSE and it didn't work, do it again.

Sometimes the first download or install on things doesn't go so smooth.

Then check your fallout 3 version. You'll find the fallout3.exe in bethesda softworks/fallout3, right click, properties, then the version tab.

Did you try the suggestion of installing the game into a different folder than the default? I use \Games\Fallout3 for mine. If you are running Vista or Windows 7 you may be experiencing a UAC issue. Installing into a folder other than \program files will alleviate and UAC conflicts. Also, just to be sure, you can check what version of the game is installed by going into Settings --> Display from the games main menu. The version is displayed on the lower left of the screen. 1.7.0.3 is the latest (English) version.