help making a bow.

kylemk16

so im trying to make a bow mod and require a little guidance. first what im using. blender for making the model, nif for well the nif files, gimp for the texture, and of course the creation kit.

so i have my bow mesh. the bow body and string are all one mesh, no idea if thats right but thats what i did.

now how do i continue from here?

how do i make the bow move and bend like a bow?

do i follow this video, or is it all done in nifskope?

ok its bending now, how do i set up the nifskope files?

can i just use an ingame bow mesh and replace all the important stuff with my bows stuff?

You're starting from the wrong end of the problem. Rather than making an entire bow from scratch, take an existing bow, import the nif into blender, and break it down/change the model as you see fit. I've never made a bow before, but I'm guessing there are reference points attached to the nif that tell the game where/how it should bend.

You're starting from the wrong end of the problem. Rather than making an entire bow from scratch, take an existing bow, import the nif into blender, and break it down/change the model as you see fit. I've never made a bow before, but I'm guessing there are reference points attached to the nif that tell the game where/how it should bend.

well umm no offense but like you said you have never made a bow so....... yeah i'll just leave it at that. also im using 2.7 which is unsupported by the nifskope plugins and, im sure as hell not going back to 2.49b just to use a plugin the developers themselves say is buggy.

ok so if thats the gist of what i have to do, how do i do it. you've told me i need to open a nif file in blender and edit it. ok i've looked in to it and have all the files and programs i need, i can open a nif in blender after i delete some of the bs files.

now what? i can open a nif in blender what do i do now? how do i switch the meshes? how do i export it? how do i fix all the stuff i changed to open the file in blender in the first place?

I'm afraid that I can't help you with that. I don't do meshing and texturing. There are plenty of tutorials on this online. Just look those things up on the internet.

no there's not

the best thing i've found is how to open armor nifs in blender. skyrim modding when it comes to the free to use programs is highly undocumented or just badly tagged making it hard to find.

http://puu.sh/9vviF/92c9516f2e.png

none of these returned any strong leads on what i need to do just old ways to open nifs in blender. and by old im talking about using plugins for a blender that came out in 2009.

and before anyone comes on that can help but wont because they are unsure if i can even make a mesh. i am more then capable of making weapons of the static non-bone variety. heres my current project, a 14 century bastard sword.

http://puu.sh/9vvRX/d93873e832.jpg

mesh is pretty much done, working on textures now.

Edited by kylemk16