WIP Elf Children

Hallgarth

how are things going?

Things are going well. Turns out Christmas is coming faster than I anticipated. Right now, I'm sorting out the child expression morphs so they aren't so crumply on the forehead. I was having issues with the brow morphs and clipping. I don't actually think I'll be able to fully solve the clipping issues if you have the morphs at their extremes. (Brow down/back eyes up/forward to max)

I'm also altering child NPC's, trying to make them look somewhat like their parents. Once that's done, I'll add some Orc children to strongholds and some elven to the cities.

I'm still concerned how to deal with the Orc kids. No way an Orc, adult or child would run from a fight. So do I unselect them as children, or have invincible Orc kids running about? Ones that might, if provoked into it, pursue and kill the PC without hope of defending ones self? I'll figure it out I suppose.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd keep the orc kids just like all the other kids if I were you, have them be invincible and run away from fights.

Doing it any other way might clash with other mods out there.

And tbh an orc doesn't go into battle just for any reason, even if it is a child.

Also remember that they worship Malacath and Orc want to honor him with "good" fights, not suicidal fights, so a child should have the common sense to not fight more then he can chew...aka run away.

Malacath does have, to a certain degree, a sense of honor and an almost paternal concern for his followers, especially the Orsimer.

Found this mod by pure luck with google. I'm glad to see progress is still ongoing as I've been trying to find something like this since release. I never understood why nords/imperials/bretons were the only one's w/ children. Kind of seemed like the dev's were either being lazy or simply out of time.

Amazing work, please keep it going! :D

My only request is: Please let the invincibility be optional! (protected if nothing else). Children should also be able to be pick-pocketed as anyone else.

Sounds like there have been some complications, but it also sounds like you know where you need to go with things next, great news! I like that you're taking the time to make the kids look like their parents, nice touch! (and yet another thing no other mod seems to have bothered doing).

Did you work out how to make the children adoptable in the end? I believe it is in fact just some flags that need to be set and not much beyond that :thumbsup:

For me the main thing I look forward to most of all is still dunmer children so I can adopt one in a brand new game (running Ac3s Tel Nalta in fact!) But a huge bonus will be to see other children of various races out and about, and more importantly, them actually looking like they fit in. Excellent work!

I highly suspect this mod will get a lot of attention once first release goes out :)

But make sure you take the time off to enjoy the holiday season properly!!

Thought I'd post an update. Started placing Elven children into Skyrim, but had to revert to an earlier esp causing me to lose all but one I'd done (3 altogether) I got a weird issue where having my elf kid in Solitude follow Minette via a really simple AI package (simply follow minette), made Minette think she was an orphan. removing it didn't fix it, so I had to roll back, losing my Orc kid and 2 Dunmer in Windhelm. I remade the Orc kid, but I still have to remake the 2 in Windhelm.

Another funny thing I noticed when I did have my 2 Dunmer kids, is that after loading a save in Windhelm, I found them playing tag with Grimvar Cruel-Sea. Weird thing is, he wasn't part of any AI package involving them. So I guess if three kids or more are in close proximity, the 'games' package must start or something.

Anyway, I decided to take some screens to quell the disappointment of losing some of my progress.

(Note, some of the faces aren't final.)

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/zoidgarth/TESV_2014_12_29_00_40_48_308.png

Ellerie, Great, Great Grandaughter of Taarie. I have a follow Taarie package that hasn't broken Taarie at all, so I don't know why the follow Minette package broke Minette. I now use the default Follow Kayd package Minette and Svari use. It appears that hasn't broken anything. This means she'll follow Taarie at around 8 till 10, where she'll start to run around with Kayd for another ten hours. She won't bring up "wanna play tag?" speech unless they're already playing, and even then she might only say "Yes?" or "Hello."

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/zoidgarth/TESV_2014_12_28_23_13_24_553.png

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/zoidgarth/TESV_2014_12_29_00_53_08_606.png

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/zoidgarth/TESV_2014_12_29_00_53_22_024.png

Virkmund looks a bit like Grimvar. I'll probably alter his appearance a bit. (both Virkmund and Grimvar use a custom hair mesh.)

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/zoidgarth/TESV_2014_12_29_01_02_46_753.png

Unlike Samuel, I made Aventus look a bit scary. Not as scary as Babette, who I made look like a small demon-child, but that's for another time.

Hello

Don't worry about it, I'm using the Teeth Plus mod that does make mouths look a little brighter than they should. I think I'll uninstall all my aesthetic mods that also affect children like eye textures and hair to give a better representation of how they look in the vanilla game.

I found this after starting work on my own version of the same thing. Mine was prompted mostly by wanting Orsimer children to go with a BYO Stronghold - the main mod I was working on. It's prompted me to separate the kid from the house-building part, so that it can be left out if yours is installed.

http://ghastley.org/skyrim/images/uziatlakeview.jpg

The outfit she's wearing is a hybrid of the Prison Rags and one of the hide armors, and the shoes are one of the standard adult meshes, I forget which. If it's useful to you, just ask.

My house mod is still struggling along - I have to create partial meshes for the longhouse and fix a bunch of issues around enabling and disabling at room start/completion - so yours will probably be released first.

And add my vote to keeping the kids invincible and running away. Orc kids should only fight other Orc kids, not adults. So if you can create a brawl between kids (check the one between Companions in Jorvaskr for a model) then that would be OK, but keep them sane, or they won't grow up!

Interesting look. I'm keeping the heavy brows to a minimum, as my thinking is the bones grow like that during puberty. It also helps to maintain the child look, but that's just my opinion. I have been playing with the aggression/bravery levels to see if there's a balance where they'll attack, but run away if things get a little too heavy, so I can keep them invincible, but also not a threat. I'm also going to keep them at level 1.