Homosexuality: The Mental Illness That Went Away

standalone09

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern day scientists and psychiatrists consider homosexuality to be normal. We are also studying the behaviour in animals. It is very common in goats and we are now discovering and understanding the reasons why this happens in nature. :smile:

Homosexuality in animals is almost always an expression of pathology or extreme environmental turmoil.

Actually... not quite. Homosexuality in animals is fairly common and is usually an expression of dominance over other members of a social group, among those animals which form social groups where males do not outright kill eachother. It is also fairly common for males of all species to try and have sex with anything that does not kill them immediately. So, probably not saying much.

Also... We are talking about two entirely different things. Animals may form social connections, but they do not love in the same way that humans do. The emotional attachment between two humans is a far deeper matter than just the mechanics of intercourse or what anatomy goes where or who is on top.

Thank you. I really get infuriated when people are forced by others to bring in the Animal kingdom to justify an natural human activity, just because those doing the forcing are incapable of looking past their own ideology. It is wrong for them to do it, because they are not homosexual and they reason those that are have something wrong with them.

I'd really hate to see the state of the world and humanity itself if that was the standard for all people. We'd still be looking at the wheel with skeptical eyes.

Please show me where it has been proven to be a "natural human activity". So far as I know, the jury is still out on that one. It was removed from the mental illness list because of politics, not because of any scientific proof.

It

Please show me where it has been proven to be a "natural human activity". So far as I know, the jury is still out on that one. It was removed from the mental illness list because of politics, not because of any scientific proof.

It is a natural human activity. The proof is in the history records that date back to Roman and Greek times where it was normal for men to have young male lovers. But you just have to look around. Men and women are in same sex relationships in every country in the world regardless of race or creed. If you want proof then I suggest you go to University and study Psychology or medicine or social work but posting links from the internet from obscure web sites just to support your idea of normal is an activity I can only laugh at. You can find anything on the internet if you look long enough. Link something from a reputable university and maybe then I will find the time to continue this discussion

Edited by oOtailspinOo

It

It is a natural human activity. The proof is in the history records that date back to Roman and Greek times where it was normal for men to have young male lovers. But you just have to look around. Men and women are in same sex relationships in every country in the world regardless of race or creed. If you want proof then I suggest you go to University and study Psychology or medicine or social work but posting links from the internet from obscure web sites just to support your idea of normal is an activity I can only laugh at. You can find anything on the internet if you look long enough. Link something from a reputable university and maybe then I will find the time to continue this discussion

I was going to stay out of this but Hey You needs a University degree for his opinion to have validity? Talk about dismissive elitism, OK then, I have a Bachelors, a Masters, took Psych courses and agree with the carefully selected snippet you decided to respond to from his overall posts.

One caveat I would add is that treating anyone poorly for their opinions, predilections, lifestyle or sexual orientation because you do not agree with it, is simply bad manners...something I was always taught / raised not to do.

I do not have a degree, but, I did have a minor in psychology while in college....... Not that I think I need a degree to read the works of others, and see what conclusions they drew from them....... If you need to attack me personally in an attempt to discredit my arguement, what does that say about YOUR arguement?

To date, there is NO scientific consensus on the gay lifestyle being anything other than an aberation.

We have had murders, rapes, wars, genocides, etc, throughout history as well. Are those to become acceptable behaviors also? And what about pedophiles? At one time, it was accepted for adult men to have sex with very young boys. Is THAT a behavior you want to bring back as well??? (or, at least, make it legal) Are we discriminating against pedo's by putting them in jail?? Which behaviors do we allow, and which do we not?? Where do we draw the line?

If you go back far enough, you can find a time period where just about anything was 'normal'. Does that mean it is behavior we should accept? Hardly. Trying to use animal behavior to justify a human behavior is also somewhat less than scientific. Not like you can ask a pair of female albatrosses WHY they pair bonded. Shortage of males? Seemed like the thing to do at the time? Other?

That said, I don't have a problem with gays. They can live however they choose. Some of my friends are gay. I don't care. It isn't a criterion that I use to measure them by any means. What I DO have a problem with, is the various gay organizations screaming to high heaven about their 'rights', and 'discrimination'. It seems that today, gay rights trump the rights of freedom of religion, in that a business owner cannot refuse service to someone because they are gay. So, for instance, a very religious business owner cannot refuse to provide wedding cakes for a gay wedding, even though that goes against his religious beleifs. He is forced to provide the service even against his objections. So, it would seem that somewhere in the neighborhood of 3% of our population, have more rights than the other 97%. What ever happened to "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, for ANY reason."?? Does business no longer have that right? You MUST provide service to EVERYONE that walks thru the door, regardless of how objectionable you find them? Does that mean that "No shoes, no shirt, no service" is ALSO a form of discrimination? and should be illegal??

Edited by HeyYou

It

It

I was going to stay out of this but Hey You needs a University degree for his opinion to have validity? Talk about dismissive elitism, OK then, I have a Bachelors, a Masters, took Psych courses and agree with the carefully selected snippet you decided to respond to from his overall posts.

One caveat I would add is that treating anyone poorly for their opinions, predilections, lifestyle or sexual orientation because you do not agree with it, is simply bad manners...something I was always taught / raised not to do.

Ya Aurielius you know what, you should follow you first instinct and stay out of this if you are unable to control your emotions. You are now make accusations that have nothing to do with the topic. If you continue to insult people then I will report you. Please I welcome your input but conduct yourself appropriately. This is already a heated topic and there will be many different opinions. However opinions are different than facts. You can express your opinion even if it is not true but what we are doing here is having a discussion. If you continue to insult people here it only make yourself look bad. So where are those good manners you were raised with huh?

I am not liking the direction of this thread so I am happily leaving it alone. I am going to enjoy the rest of the evening with my elitist family :laugh: But just to reiterate; homosexuality is normal human behaviour. The burden is not on me to prove it to anyone but theirs to dis-prove it to the rest of the world. Good luck with that :thumbsup:

Edited by oOtailspinOo

It

It

Ya Aurielius you know what, you should follow you first instinct and stay out of this if you are unable to control your emotions. You are now make accusations that have nothing to do with the topic. If you continue to insult people then I will report you. Please I welcome your input but conduct yourself appropriately. This is already a heated topic and there will be many different opinions. However opinions are different than facts. You can express your opinion even if it is not true but what we are doing here is having a discussion. If you continue to insult people here it only make yourself look bad. So where are those good manners you were raised with huh?

I am not liking the direction of this thread so I am happily leaving it alone. I am going to enjoy the rest of the evening with my elitist family :laugh: But just to reiterate; homosexuality is normal human behaviour. The burden is not on me to prove it to anyone but theirs to dis-prove it to the rest of the world. Good luck with that :thumbsup:

I note you cleverly edited out the part in your post where you felt it was ok to insult me, and then have the audacity to take A to task for supposedly similar behavior?? (I would point out, the unedited text from your post is quoted in his.) I don't see where he is tossing insults..... (but then, I am not a mod, and therefore, my opinion doesn't count. :) )

Also, no, you cannot simply make a statement, and then declare that you are correct, and people have to prove you wrong. You would be laughed out of the scientific community if you tried to pull that stunt. You are just expressing an opinion otherwise. Terribly sorry, just doens't work.

Edited by HeyYou

It

It

I note you cleverly edited out the part in your post where you felt it was ok to insult me, and then have the audacity to take A to task for supposedly similar behavior?? (I would point out, the unedited text from your post is quoted in his.) I don't see where he is tossing insults..... (but then, I am not a mod, and therefore, my opinion doesn't count. :smile: )

Also, no, you cannot simply make a statement, and then declare that you are correct, and people have to prove you wrong. You would be laughed out of the scientific community if you tried to pull that stunt. You are just expressing an opinion otherwise. Terribly sorry, just doens't work.

Are you talking to me? I never insulted anyone here nor have I edited any of my posts. And yes I can simply make any statement I want and declare it is correct. I live in a country that protects my right to do that. But really internet debates on these subjects are pointless. So I now declare you right on everything. Believe whatever you want. I am not going to change you mind anyway and I am not trying too.

What I am doing is saying to all my sisters and brothers out there who are lesbian, gay,and transgender that I love you and no matter what anyone else says to you, you are beautifully normal :wub:

And now the senseless bickering, insults, and grandstanding begins. :facepalm:

This is why we cannot have nice and open discussions.

Anyway...

Modern day scientists and psychiatrists consider homosexuality to be normal. We are also studying the behaviour in animals. It is very common in goats and we are now discovering and understanding the reasons why this happens in nature. :smile:

Homosexuality in animals is almost always an expression of pathology or extreme environmental turmoil.

Actually... not quite. Homosexuality in animals is fairly common and is usually an expression of dominance over other members of a social group, among those animals which form social groups where males do not outright kill each other. It is also fairly common for males of all species to try and have sex with anything that does not kill them immediately. So, probably not saying much.

Also... We are talking about two entirely different things. Animals may form social connections, but they do not love in the same way that humans do. The emotional attachment between two humans is a far deeper matter than just the mechanics of intercourse or what anatomy goes where or who is on top.

Nope. I don't want to come across as a contrarian here but your understanding of animal behaviour is dated. For example lets look at K9s. The old school of thought was that "humping" was meant to show dominance. However the modern day animal behaviourists and other professionals who specialize in K9 behaviour have proven through years of recorded observation that humping behaviour has nothing to with dominance and today it is considered normal "PLAY" behaviour. In goats, homosexual behaviour is VERY common. This behaviour has been observed with all the members of the herd regardless of their standing in the pecking order (hierarchy). That is how scientists and behaviourists figured out that we had it all wrong. They started observing the behaviour in many different animal groups without any aggression and regardless of hierarchy rank. The evidence by today's scientific standards is overwhelming. We are now recognizing this behaviour in apes and chimpanzees and it is also very prevalent in another monkey family which name escapes me now.

This probably is the case since most of my information on the subject is a tad dated... However, general statement I was making is still valid. Anyone who tries to claim that homosexual acts are unnatural clearly doesn't know anything about Nature. Meaning that most stigmas related to these acts are largely based on cultural beliefs and practices.

This does not mean that open and permissible homosexuality is necessarily a good thing for society, just that it is, in itself, not a sign of disease, or evidence of a disorder, nor is it something that can easily be changed by means of force or indoctrination.