FOOK2 vs FWE, which for a first-time mod player?

omniseed

FWE VS FOOK2  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather play?

• Fallout: Wanderer's Edition
    • Fallout Overhaul Kit 2

Which is more like the vanilla game, does one add more classic Fallout weapons than the other, which adds more weapons, you get the idea, tell me all about the two, even if you haven't played both yet, tell me about the one you did play.

Thanks guys, think I'm going to install one of them tonight, just looking for a little push one way or the other.

Oh and can you keep playing a save you already have with either of them? I don't think you can in FWE, but I'm not sure about FOOK2.

For fun I threw in FOOK 1 to the poll.

I have to say FOOK2, definately... It is more a graphics overhaul, leaving the game closer to vanilla in other aspects. It does alter some things, but those are mostly very minor changes overall. That will change in 1.1 though, as Phalanx gets added into FOOK2 1.1. You can continue on old saves with FOOK2, although I would strongly recommend starting a new game on it too.

FWE is more a complete overhaul on the gameplay, and has a lot of changes over the vanilla FO3, and personally I didn't like it at all, as it changed the game too much. If you want to play FO3 in hard mode (meaning everything gets more complicated and harder overall), then FWE is for you :) Some call it realism, I call it annoyance :D I play games for fun, so I like the gameflow to be as intended, and FWE does change the gameflow completely. Nothing wrong in FWE though, just a personal preference.

I have to say FOOK2, definately... It is more a graphics overhaul, leaving the game closer to vanilla in other aspects. It does alter some things, but those are mostly very minor changes overall. That will change in 1.1 though, as Phalanx gets added into FOOK2 1.1. You can continue on old saves with FOOK2, although I would strongly recommend starting a new game on it too.

FWE is more a complete overhaul on the gameplay, and has a lot of changes over the vanilla FO3, and personally I didn't like it at all, as it changed the game too much. If you want to play FO3 in hard mode (meaning everything gets more complicated and harder overall), then FWE is for you :) Some call it realism, I call it annoyance :D I play games for fun, so I like the gameflow to be as intended, and FWE does change the gameflow completely. Nothing wrong in FWE though, just a personal preference.

Beautiful, that's exactly the kind of review I was looking for. FOOK2 is a huge file, downloading it right now. I have FWE ready to go already, but the description of it made me a little nervous, seemed like a drastic change, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of commitment.

For your first modded game fook2, when you get to point everything is too easy try FWE.

Just a warning though I had a lot of trouble uninstalling fook2 (ended up re-installing all of fallout 3) and I found that FWE was more stable for me than fook2.

I haven't played in a while (graphics card kicked the bucket), but I've been running FOOK & FWE together for quite some time, along with a few other relatively major mods (MMM, WMK).

The experience has been great. They work really well together and are exactly what I was looking for to make the game more enjoyable.

FOOK adds a ton of content that provides the game with much needed substance that can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. FWE does change a lot of gameplay aspects, and there are definitely parts of it that you may not be into. The good thing is that a lot of these can be turned off or modified in-game if you so prefer. If you're looking for a bit of a challenge and/or a change of pace from vanilla gameplay, it's worth a shot to try it out and see if you dig it - you can always disable or change parts of it you don't like.

A few other mods I recommend:

Fallout Interoperability Project:

If you plan on using any of the major/popular/overhaul mods together, FOIP provides compatibility patches to fix many conflicts between these mods. A must have if you plan on using more than one big mod!

Sharing & Caring Companions:

Lets you recruit almost any NPC to fight alongside you. A little buggy sometimes (for me at least) but really fun.

Energy Visuals Enhanced:

If you don't end up using FOOK (I think EVE is part of FOOK it's been a while), EVE makes energy weapons so much...cooler :)

Better Living Through Chems:

I think this is part of FOOK as well but I could be wrong. It's one of the two so whichever one you don't get, look into this. BLTC adds a bunch of real-world drugs for you to trip out on, changes vanilla chems to their real-world counterparts (Med-X = Morphine, etc.), and lets you inject or shoot various substances into unsuspecting enemies. Fraking awesome.

Good luck!

FWE is pretty much ENTIRELY customizable. Personally I prefer playing with all the changes active, but it's up to you, really.

Personally, I think the default values on FWE aren't that difficult at all, considering fallout3 overall is a very easy game. In 5.0 they made the primary needs much easier to obtain, I think it's kind of silly personally, but whatev. I prefer FWE because it changes gameplay and I felt that was the biggest flaw in fallout3. FOOK just adds a bunch of prettiness and weapons, which are nice, but not exactly what I think of when I think "overhaul". But I mean, you can use both. So what's the issue?

FOOK2 is nice and all but the stuff it adds are ANYTHING but stuff that fits Fallout lore... FWE on the other hand adds lore friendly equipment and is completely customizable.

I don't really suggest using FOOK2 if you like Fallout lore as it is, with mostly imaginary weaponry and real weaponry/armor being from early-mid cold war. But if you are not bothered by lore conflicts, then there is no reason not to use FOOK2.