low FPS and GPU usage ( GTX 780 )

IDuB7

I played it vanilla at first and didnt know my true FPS since it was capped at 60 FPS via v-sync. Since everything above 60 fps screws up the physics, I decided to let it enabled. Now as I installed (along with the other basics like SKSE and all the patches ) the 2K Texture Pack, Static Mesh Improvement Mod, enhanced lighting and fx, WATER, and CoT ( nothing that should let my performence go down that much ), I instantly noticed that I still got about 70 FPS when I walk in a small town, but when Im watching a town from above and a bit of a distance or from right outside of the town where I see a few houeses at once, the framerate dips in the 40s. I then measured the GPU usage and it was at about 30-50% and 1.5 GB VRAM usage.
This cant be normal since those are some basic mods and a 780 should run this easily.
Any help?
(PS: when I played vanilla and stood on top of the stairs to dragonsreach and looked down on the city, the fps also went down to about 55, but only in such specific places )

Edit.

Specs:

MoBo - ASRock H97 Pro4 ( it is a rather new Mobo, so it already has the latest Bios; also I checked it to be compatible before I got it )

PSU - 500 Watt be quiet! Power 7

RAM - 8GB @ 1600 Mhz

CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1231v3

GPU - Inno3D GTX 780 iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra

GPU isnt OC.

Like I said, I dont have problems with other games so far. BF4 and Far Cry 3 for example have the performence that is expected with this system and the 3DMark Fire Strike Score is also fitting.

Edited by IDuB7

Thx, but I doubt that it is that. I installed those basic mods via Gophers Tutorial which was very easy and so far all of it worked. Also used LOOT. I have too few mods for it too be this. Especially since I did it 1:1 to Gopher.

Also I have those drops when playing vanilla and standing on top of the stairs to dragonsreach and looking down to the city. It then goes to like 57 fps.

CPU is a Xeon E3-1231v3 which should be more than enough.

I reach common scores in 3DMark Fire Strike for that set up and I also run games like Far Cry 3 and BF4 on Ulltra with the usual framerate for such a set up.

So I dont think that there is something wrong with my hardware.

• 1 month later...

bump. I still couldnt fix it...

Without knowing your full system specs no one can answer that.

Have you updated all drivers and BIOS' ? and VBIOS ?

What motherboard and PSU ?

The BIOS is not something you update on a regular basis. You only need to update the bios if the new version fixes an issue you are having, or you need to to support your CPU of choice.

The BIOS I am using is 3+ versions old for the motherboard, but the newest version won't fix anything for me unless I want to upgrade the RAM as it adds support for up to 128GB of RAM.

PS

Also a failed bios update for most users will mean buying new hardware to fix the failed update.

Edited by Guest

The BIOS is not something you update on a regular basis. You only need to update the bios if the new version fixes an issue you are having, or you need to to support your CPU of choice.

The BIOS I am using is 3+ versions old for the motherboard, but the newest version won't fix anything for me unless I want to upgrade the RAM as it adds support for up to 128GB of RAM.

PS

Also a failed bios update for most users will mean buying new hardware to fix the failed update.

The reason that this was said......

"CPU is a Xeon E3-1231v3 which should be more than enough",

This is not the average LGA 1150 CPU. If it is on a board that does not support it, it could have issues.

The BIOS version not being updated can have substantial performance issues.

All performance variables are set within the BIOS.

All of the newer boards have a UEFI BIOS and Dual BIOS to keep from bricking the board.

I'm trying to help the O/P not engage in anecdotal speculation.

MoBo - ASRock H97 Pro4 ( it is a rather new Mobo, so it already has the latest Bios; also I checked it to be compatible before I got it )

PSU - 500 Watt be quiet! Power 7

RAM - 8GB @ 1600 Mhz

CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1231v3

GPU - Inno3D GTX 780 iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra

GPU isnt OC.

Like I said, I dont have problems with other games so far. BF4 and Far Cry 3 for example have the performence that is expected with this system and the 3DMark Fire Strike Score is also fitting.

Edited by IDuB7