"Jagged Mountains" Distant Terrain Texture/Mesh Glitch

BigAl2539

I've been getting this odd glitch when I'm looking at the hills near the NCR Correctional Facility and the Desert to the south of Nipton. The mountains appear jagged and glitched until I approach them and they slowly regain their normal appearance. It only appears to be in these two locations (so far; I haven't explored much farther). The problem persists even after a complete uninstall of all mods and game files. Any help is appreciated.
Here is an imgur link to a picture of the problem (the screenshot was too big for here):
http://imgur.com/gallery/9NC3Cgr/new

Edited by BigAl2539

i get the same thing man, the source is a buggy LOD. you can try to mess with the lod settings so it wont render until you are closer, or that might be the issue, you may need to bump it up.

i first noticed it after installing.....replacing 90% of the vanilla textures with mods, but ive never played a "vanilla" NV on pc, and ive never had the issue on ps3

anyways im using a toshiba laptop with an AMD raedon (spelling?) chipset and i play on very high settings. idk what your using but what im getting at is that certain gfx cards may not be able to render the lod correctly

ive always ignored it.....every now and then i play with it XD

• 8 months later...

Had exact same problem, Fixed it.

It's definitely a LOD issue. No LOD patches nor any of the un-official patch mods worked to fix it so don't use them.

I uninstalled everything via Nexus Mod Manager with "uninstall all mods" option (kept track of my load order), the glitch disappeared in vanilla. So I then started to reinstall everything an did a test character an double checked between every series of mod installs (character alterations, sfx, textures, etc). Glitch was still gone an I just had NVInteriors left, I re-downloaded everything even thou the file sizes were the same (that's a common problem, a file download that does not finish an is 1mb short yet still installs).

Installed NVInteriors an no glitch, so either it was a file corruption on NVInteriors OR more likely A world of Pain (AWOP), because it was a buggy install, so bad I gave up on it because it crashed on startup an I could not deal with all the conflicts. AWOP must have permanently altered my LOD because even when I uninstalled NVInteriors during my first bug check the glitch remained.

Edited by Dman66

• 4 months later...

Okay, here goes. I haven't seen that area in my game in a while. I have other issues, but I will try to help with this one. I strongly recommend using mod organizer, loot, and FNVedit when dealing with mods. I am going to, when I can, check out this area in my game, and see if it still is glitched. However, I do recommend those with nvidia cards to please rerun geforce experience, and get those settings back to normal, and seeing if normal. If not, there is something else wrong, and that could be a mod that needs cleaning.

• 2 months later...

Confirmed on XRE cars. Installed it an WOILA, there it is again. Just started my new game an after I knew it was gone, installed XRE cars an it came back. Thought it was the new Nexus Mod Manager, it had to uninstall then reinstall all my mods but I remembered doing a test character an seeing that area un-jagged.

How I fixed it. Uninstalled XRE cars, reset the FalloutNV.ini file to default (I always keep a backup copy), uninstalled then reinstalled NVinteriors to reset any LOD stuff. Then played a save file before the bug an everything is fixed.

Stay away from XRE until they fix this, who knows what other terrain bugs are present.

Someone notify the modder or whomever is authorized to work on XRE, this bug has been around for quite awhile.

Edited by Dman66