Edited UTI files in-game

jolly2807

I've edited the item properties on a few of the .UTI files on one of my mods, however, the abilities appear the same as before in-game. I managed to do it before on the Legacy of Sundown so that it would benefit mages rather rogues and loaded it in-game, though can't quite remember how.

Anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas?

Many Thanks

EDIT: I tried copying them to the override folder, but to no avail :confused:

I've edited the item properties on a few of the .UTI files on one of my mods, however, the abilities appear the same as before in-game. I managed to do it before on the Legacy of Sundown so that it would benefit mages rather rogues and loaded it in-game, though can't quite remember how.

Anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas?

Many Thanks

EDIT: I tried copying them to the override folder, but to no avail :confused:

Once an item is actually in the character's inventory , it's properties are saved in the savegame file and are no longer based on the item's original uti file. This is why mods like The Winter Forge work. In order to get the modified version of an item into the game, you need to write a script to add the item back into the game. Another trick that MIGHT work is to sell the item (with any runes removed first) , go to another region, return to the shop and buy the item back. This should reset the item to match any mods or uti files.

It's worthwhile to note that there are a couple of exceptions to this. First, runestones that are in an item always have the properties of the uti file. This is true even if the runestone displays different attributes while outside of the weapon. Second, new copies of an existing item alway have the attributes assigned by the uti file. For example, a mod allows you to get the Summer Sword early in the game. Later, you alter the Summer Sword's uti to make it a Dragonbone weapon instead of Silverite. Your original Summer Sword that is in your inventory will stay Silverite. But the Summer Sword you can aquire during the Rescue the Queen/Landsmeet quest chain will be Dragonbone because it is spawned in game based on the new uti file.

Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

So lets throw a scenario here. I'll use an example of the grey warden runic weapons. there is a standard version of the mod, and an Arcane Warrior version of the mod. Say that I had loaded the original version of the mod up on both of my warrior characters, and they had the gear in their saved game.

If I uninstalled the mod and installed the AW version of it, and started up a new character...say a mage...the mage would still have the AW version while the warriors have the standard version?

Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

So lets throw a scenario here. I'll use an example of the grey warden runic weapons. there is a standard version of the mod, and an Arcane Warrior version of the mod. Say that I had loaded the original version of the mod up on both of my warrior characters, and they had the gear in their saved game.

If I uninstalled the mod and installed the AW version of it, and started up a new character...say a mage...the mage would still have the AW version while the warriors have the standard version?

Yes. Now,let's take it a step further. If you have the standard version on your character, and uninstall the mod, then install the AW version and run a script to add the weapon to the game, you will now have an original version (due to the save game) AND an AW version.

Also, I have discovered that the appearance of an item is changed if you alter the UTI. The item data saved in the Savegame file does not contain info about the item's appearance. So if you uninstall a mod with a custom appearance, the item will not have a working appearance in-game. If you alter the item's a[[earance by editing the UTI, all versions of the item are altered.

Also, I have discovered that the appearance of an item is changed if you alter the UTI. The item data saved in the Savegame file does not contain info about the item's appearance. So if you uninstall a mod with a custom appearance, the item will not have a working appearance in-game. If you alter the item's a[[earance by editing the UTI, all versions of the item are altered.

Yeah it seems that almost everything EXCEPT the item properties will update if you change the UTI. Cost, name, description, item variant, onhit stuff, and also the tint override I believe. The only other thing that I know won't change on an existing item if you modify the UTI is the material type, which makes sense anyway given how material/item scaling works (and changing materialprogression DOES impact existing items, from what I can tell -- though in order to see the effect of that you'd have to force your items to be re-scaled, via the Warden's Keep vendor or script calls).