Long War for Mac OS/X - pointers / advice?

thither

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a way to simply get the .upk files from the linux distro and replace the ones currently in the OSX directories? Would that be the bug fix we're looking for?

As it is, I can't really build anything, which puts the arc thrower out of reach....

Sure.

1. Download the Linux installer (it's a .zip file)

2. Unzip it

3. The three files you want are in LW-EW-Linux/install-files/:

• localization/int/xcomstrategygame.int
  • cookedpcconsole/xcomgame.upk
  • cookedpcconsole/xcomstrategygame.upk

4. Copy the upks to XCOMData/XEW/XcomGame/CookedPCConsole

5. Copy the .int file to XCOMData/XEW/Localization/INT

6. Also copy it the .int to "XCOM Enemy Unknown.app/Contents/Resources/MacOverrides"

I don't think you need to wipe out your Feral Interactive directory after this (if you do see above).

I can confirm that copying the upks and .int files does in fact correct the engineering buy/build bug.

And can confirm that you don't need to wipe out the Feral Interactive directory contents either.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my installer is reasonably feature-complete and documented (no GUI yet though). If anyone on a Mac could try it out and let me know how it works, I'd be grateful.

https://github.com/timgilbert/long-war-unix-installer

robdamanii, this is the same sawed-off shotgun bug as above. I'll try to package up the Linux fixes with my script and send them to johnnylump as an official release, but that probably won't be ready for a while.

Hi, the installer worked without a hitch, but I CTD each time I click "Confirm" when choosing an Ability for any soldier.

A problem. I follow the terminal instructions you provide for the installation, but when I attempt to install the using the .py file, my computer cannot find the Long_War_3_Beta_13-88-3-0b13-OSX.zip. I can see the file myself, clearly mounted in the DMG, but my computer cannot find it for some reason.

To be more specific, I'm on Maverick, and when I attempt to run the install via the terminal, it tells me this:

Extracting mod "Long_War_3_Beta_13-88-3-0b13-OSX" to temp directory...

Can't access Long_War_3_Beta_13-88-3-0b13-OSX.zip: No such file or directory

my-name's-MacBook-Pro:~ myname$

Edited by Raydeke

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my installer is reasonably feature-complete and documented (no GUI yet though). If anyone on a Mac could try it out and let me know how it works, I'd be grateful.

https://github.com/timgilbert/long-war-unix-installer

robdamanii, this is the same sawed-off shotgun bug as above. I'll try to package up the Linux fixes with my script and send them to johnnylump as an official release, but that probably won't be ready for a while.

Hi, the installer worked without a hitch, but I CTD each time I click "Confirm" when choosing an Ability for any soldier.

Same problem here, CTD whenever selecting an ability...

A problem. I follow the terminal instructions you provide for the installation, but when I attempt to install the using the .py file, my computer cannot find the Long_War_3_Beta_13-88-3-0b13-OSX.zip. I can see the file myself, clearly mounted in the DMG, but my computer cannot find it for some reason.

To be more specific, I'm on Maverick, and when I attempt to run the install via the terminal, it tells me this:

Extracting mod "Long_War_3_Beta_13-88-3-0b13-OSX" to temp directory...

Can't access Long_War_3_Beta_13-88-3-0b13-OSX.zip: No such file or directory

my-name's-MacBook-Pro:~ myname$

That's odd. You can use the --install flag to tell the script where to find the installation file (that would be the .zip file which at the top level of the disk image):

./LongWarInstaller.py --install /Volumes/Long-War-Mac-Installer/Long_War_3_Beta_13-88-3-0b13-OSX.zip

Version 1.1.1 of the script is a little better at handling pathnames and stuff (at least I thought it was), so if you downloaded it more than a few weeks back, you might want to make sure you've got the latest version.

Same problem here, CTD whenever selecting an ability...

Hi, just curious, did you guys select the "second wave" option "training roulette" when you started the game? (Some people have reported issues with that.)

Also, did you disable phoning home?

Hello.

Firstly, thank you for all the hard work and advice people are doing to make this work, it is much appreciated.

I'm having a real problem installing this mod. Please bear with me as I'm a bit rubbish at this stuff. I've tried following the instructions provided with the github download and have come across the following issues.

Firstly, the --install command responds with

"I couldn't figure out where your XCom install directory is. Please use the --game option"

I'm not entirely certain which file i should point it at. (Very daft of me, I know!)

Secondly, when I do point it at the file(s) I think it should be it responds with

"I couldn't find the Feral Interactive directory in App Support. Before you install Long War, you need to make sure phoning home is unblocked, launch the game, and exit to the desktop from the main menu.

Note that phoning home is currently *blocked*. Block it by running as root with the 
--phone-home-unblock option, launch the game, exit, and then run the installer as root
again with the --phone-home-block option to disable phoning home. Once that is done you 
can install Long War and run the game as usual.". 
I'm fairly certain it can phone home but in any case I've run XCom and closed it down again and then tried again but get the same response.
So I have some questions. Does it matter that my game is not on Steam? Does it also matter that my copy of XCom is the Elite Edition? I have the DLC XCom:Enemy Within too.
Sorry for asking so many confused and probably silly question!

Hello.

Firstly, thank you for all the hard work and advice people are doing to make this work, it is much appreciated.

I'm having a real problem installing this mod. Please bear with me as I'm a bit rubbish at this stuff. I've tried following the instructions provided with the github download and have come across the following issues.

Firstly, the --install command responds with

"I couldn't figure out where your XCom install directory is. Please use the --game option"

I'm not entirely certain which file i should point it at. (Very daft of me, I know!)

Secondly, when I do point it at the file(s) I think it should be it responds with

"I couldn't find the Feral Interactive directory in App Support. Before you install Long War, you need to make sure phoning home is unblocked, launch the game, and exit to the desktop from the main menu.

Note that phoning home is currently *blocked*. Block it by running as root with the 
--phone-home-unblock option, launch the game, exit, and then run the installer as root
again with the --phone-home-block option to disable phoning home. Once that is done you 
can install Long War and run the game as usual.". 
I'm fairly certain it can phone home but in any case I've run XCom and closed it down again and then tried again but get the same response.
So I have some questions. Does it matter that my game is not on Steam? Does it also matter that my copy of XCom is the Elite Edition? I have the DLC XCom:Enemy Within too.
Sorry for asking so many confused and probably silly question!

Ah. Sadly, the installer doesn't currently work with non-Steam installs of the game, but I would like to get it working for them. (I personally only own it on Steam, which is why it only supports that right now.)

Do you have the Apple app store version of the game? In principle there shouldn't be any reason the app store version would not work, but the directories the game is installed in would be different and that's probably why it refuses to install itself.

I also have no idea what the phone home situation is like for the app store version of the game. I would be somewhat surprised if the same hosts weren't used there, but Apple does love its walled garden ecosystem, so maybe everything is routed through the app store?

About the Enemy Within DLC, currently the mod files that are bundled with the installer are only applicable for Enemy Within (to be precise, with the Steam version of Enemy Within, but again there's no reason they couldn't work with a different distribution of the base game, as far as I know). Also, the installer installs the game in folder which are specific to Enemy Within, distinct from the vanilla game. If I hear enough public outcry for an Enemy Unknown installer I'll look into adapting it, but so far nobody has told me they want it.