Long War for Mac OS/X - pointers / advice?

thither

Here you go, Thither.

http://pastebin.com/JuPHfi2d

I guess it's not looking too hopeful. That is a shame. Thanks for all your help nonetheless, it is most appreciated. Is there some way I can "like" you to indicate to others how helpful you've been? I'd feel bad taking up all this time of yours and not at least giving something back.

Edited by jellyrollsoul

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, without finding any UPKs in there, or other similar files, I'm kind of flummoxed. Just to double-check, are you running this as root? (Wondering about the "invalid user access" bits at the end there.) If not, try running your dtrace command again with "sudo" in front of it and enter your machine password at the prompt. Otherwise I'm stumped.

You're kind to ask for a way to thank me, but unless you have a way to make my computer print beer, there's no need. ;) Sorry I couldn't actually fix anything.

I think I ran it as root. The command I used was "sudo open snoop -n XCOM" which seemed to do the trick. I tried it with the complete XCOM pathway (dragging and dropping the XCOM app into terminal which produced the pathway) but that said "token too large, exceeds YYLMAX". For the more successful one I was prompted for my password.

Ah well, it has been fun. Thanks again and take care :)

ps. Sorry, my computer only prints aged single malts. Such a pity ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, without finding any UPKs in there, or other similar files, I'm kind of flummoxed. Just to double-check, are you running this as root? (Wondering about the "invalid user access" bits at the end there.) If not, try running your dtrace command again with "sudo" in front of it and enter your machine password at the prompt. Otherwise I'm stumped.

You're kind to ask for a way to thank me, but unless you have a way to make my computer print beer, there's no need. :wink: Sorry I couldn't actually fix anything.

Hi,

I have an Appstore version of the game (Elite Edition that has been patched with EW) and I got the same installer problems than jellyrollsoul. However, I made some changes to the installer python script (paths are a bit different in my version) and I got all the files included in the zip installation package to be applied to their correct locations. I also verified that manually by comparing file sizes and everything seems to be like they should. So far so good.

Now that I start up the application, I can see the "Long War" button in the main menu but when I start a fresh campaign, I still get only 4 soldiers in start so I guess something is still not right. I also followed troubleshooting tips from 'Long_War_EW_Detailed_Install_Troubleshooting.txt' with no luck so far.

Any ideas?

I actually just started to reinstall the whole chabang from scratch and I'll report after if it had any effect. I can also provide you a diff for the installation script in case I get this thing working and you want to support Appstore versions as well.

Cheers!

Edited by dadacafe

Hi!

I finally managed to test this out and it looks like it works a bit better now. However, each of my 6 rookies have strange attributes (will: 301, aim 1) with a fresh start.

:D Uh.

Hi.

I also tried to install LW mod on top of App Store (a.k.a Elite Edition) of XCOM Enemy Within. I think I found all the proper files that needed patching or removing. I have tried updating game manually by following instructions on this thread and I have also modified the installation script.

However, running the game always crashes on "pointer being freed was not allocated" just after first splash screen. I start the game with click on XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition.app. Disabling the loading menu, running in windowed mode, changing resolutions all result the same.

Should I run the game by other means or is there something that I have overlooked?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I noticed that the new OSX released a few days ago is not compatible with the mac installer. Is there anyone that can update xcode to OSX 11.0?

I have installed Yosemite on a machine, but haven't had time to check out the installer on it yet (I will hopefully have time this weekend). Are you getting an error?

(The installer is written in standard python, and the version of python included in OS/X hasn't changed too much from Mavericks to Yosemite, so I'm hoping it will still work correctly.)

Edited by thither