Long War for Mac OS/X - pointers / advice?

thither

Thank a ton!!!

That link was great, and now at least I have some better idea of how terminal works.

Just one question, I don't seem to have the 8 classes, only four with a rearranged starting skill and ? marks for all the skills other after the first level. Is this normal? do I have to do research to unlock new skills? And why does the game seem easier?

Also when I restarted the game after playing it the first time it seems that all the classes reset to vanilla.

After the restart the entire game reset its self to vanilla... I assume something went wrong in installation... working on a reinstall but the unistaller seemed to have some issues so I figured I might as well reinstall xcom (give me time to work on my homework for a change) and start fresh that way I can take not of everything that goes wrong.

Edited by DonSwordsman

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :pirate: :pinch: :wallbash:

I apologize for the emoticons, but this is just getting frustrating.

So I re-downloaded XCOM, opened it to the menu so it would load the files... The I spent the last 4 days trying to download EW with no success (terrible internet connection in China, and it wont save the data that it has already loaded after it disconnects for no reason)...

I thought that I could still add Long War in even without EW (I thought I grabbed a file that said it was for EU), but when I tried to load it as directed it could not find the XEW.

So I went into the library to see and found that there was in fact no XEW folder that had been there before... is that a EW thing???

After realizing that I did not know where the tell the shell program to upload I tried to manually modify XCOM with the results that you would expect (failure).

So where is my XEW folder or how can I get it to generate so that I can finally get this mod working?

Thank you so much everyone who is helping to make this possible... as you can tell I'm no good at this stuff and am incrediably thankful to everyone who takes the time to respond.

-Don Swordsman

(Still waiting for someone to make a project stardust mod)

Long War since Beta version 12 has been exclusively for EW. To the best of my knowledge it has never been ported to the Mac in an EU version prior to the EW's release. The installer does indeed check for the XEW folder, which is created when EW is installed. But just having that folder won't be enough; it needs other files in an EW install.

With such a bad internet connection, you should look into a downloader that can "resume" an interrupted file transfer. If the App Store supports them they should have something telling you ones you can use on their support page. (It's not enough to have a "client side" resumption component; there has to be support on the server side as well.)

If you already have EW, then you may need to reinstall it after you reinstalled or reverted XCOM. That is unusual, but if you are missing the XEW folder, it's necessary.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Thanks dubious,

You help have been invaluable. I did end up reinstalling XCOM (which takes a full re-download because I bought it on the app store - Take note every mac user who wants XCOM, don't do it on the App store, its so much more trouble when modding or even downloading!).

Now of course the in-app option for downloading EW wont even start to download, let alone let me resume. I have contacted Feral Support (as directed in the XCOM app) and am waiting for a response. I also checked their FAQ to look for the DLC download other places but there was nothing to solve my problem.

Once again, everyone on here has been invaluable. However, at this point any more messages I might send would just be complaining. Once I have EW installed again I will post if I can still not get Long War to run successfully.

Also If i stumble upon any other Mac app-store specific knowledge I will try my best to share it (I heard there was a app-store specific thread somewhere, but was unable to find it).

Thank again!

Don Swordsman

Hello Again,

An update! Fearl solved my problem with the EW download by sending me a link the direct DLC download.

However, Im still having issues getting Long War to work.

Currently XCOM says Long War b15c instead of single player (i picked b15c as I thought it might be more stable then the newest update that wasn't working)

Also the difficulty choices and advanced option choices are correct for Long War. However, when I go to pick my starting country its the same as the vanilla game.

After that the mission starts with just 4 soldiers just like Vanilla.

(Some times, right after I install, I get six soldiers for the regular mission but they will just be wearing normal vanilla armor and just have a traditional rifle and one grenade)

This is very similar to the first time I tried getting Long War working when I played a few missions with six soldiers but was not able to pick classes and only got a redone staring class (which reverted to the normal starting class after reloading the game)

This is what the installer says now

Last login: Tue May 12 00:23:23 on ttys000
/Users/admin/Desktop/long\ war/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-b15c-compat/install-LW-OSX.sh ; exit;
london:~ admin$ /Users/admin/Desktop/long\ war/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-b15c-compat/install-LW-OSX.sh ; exit;
Installing Long War for XCOM:EW, please, be patient...
User files dir: /Users/admin/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition/XEW
\e[0;31mOld version of Long War found. Keep savegames?\e[0m (y/n)n
not keeping savegames
uninstalling old version now
found old Long War backup in /Users/admin/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition/backup_oldLW or /Users/admin/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition/XEW/backup_oldLW
\e[0;31mremove old Long War backup files?\e[0m (y/n)y
Removing old Long War backup and all its content...
mv: rename /Users/admin/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition/Data/XEW/XComGame//xcomgame/config/defaultcontent.ini to /Users/admin/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition/backup_oldLW/defaultcontent.ini: No such file or directory
logout

[Process completed]

I tried running the uninstaller with no luck

any advice, or has anyone else had the same issues?

DonSwordsman, several users have reported that uninstaller is not working properly under Mac. This was originally Linux script, adapted for Mac by one of our Mac testers, but currently none of the LW devs have access to Mac, so, unfortunately, we can't test it and fix the issues.

There should be hidden .lw_install file located under your XEW folder. Deleting it will make the installer unaware of any previously installed LW versions, so it won't try to run uninstaller anymore.

While experimenting like this, always create backups of vanilla game, especially if you have problems downloading it. It will save you a lot of trouble and a lot of time. :wink:

Edited by wghost81

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I've not been having much success with the mod. I've run the install scripts and it completes successfully. A manual check seems to verify that the necessary files have been copied over but the game crashes after launching from Steam. The few times I managed to launch into the game, I can start a new game and go into the first mission. On completing the first mission, I get the mission results summary screen and continue to the cutscene of the ship returning to base, the game crashes and exits.

Hi I've not been having much success with the mod. I've run the install scripts and it completes successfully. A manual check seems to verify that the necessary files have been copied over but the game crashes after launching from Steam. The few times I managed to launch into the game, I can start a new game and go into the first mission. On completing the first mission, I get the mission results summary screen and continue to the cutscene of the ship returning to base, the game crashes and exits.

We need more details.

First question that occurs to me is: Are you running Steam in "off-line" mode?

2: Are you seeing any error messages? What do they say?

3: What (if any) other mods are you running?

4: Which version of LW are you running?

5. Which game options (Training Roulette, Red Fog, etc.) did you select?

Please review the LW troubleshooting steps (included in the download).

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

We need more details.

First question that occurs to me is: Are you running Steam in "off-line" mode?

2: Are you seeing any error messages? What do they say?

3: What (if any) other mods are you running?

4: Which version of LW are you running?

5. Which game options (Training Roulette, Red Fog, etc.) did you select?

Please review the LW troubleshooting steps (included in the download).

-Dubious-

1. Yes offline

2. Mac crash logs.

3. No other mods

4. The latest b15d

5. I think Strict Screening, and a few other options

Yes, I've gone through the documents, and I find that if I delete the profile.bin I'm able to start the game, I do get a series of prompts about ambiguous file names in the Voice files directory (I'll attach the screenshot if I figure how to do it) but I'm able to start successfully successfully nevertheless. The moment I complete the first mission and click on the "Continue" button, the game crashes to desktop. Do you want me to attached the logs?