Long War for Mac OS/X - pointers / advice?

thither

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: is LW Beta15f3 "stable"? Sort of depends upon your personal definition of "stable". I know the devs thought it was probably the last beta, but I don't track it and have no idea what has turned up in use. I suggest you look at the FeedBack thread and see if there is anything you can't live with.

Re: Avoiding the problems you had the last time. Follow the "Basic Guide", with the adjustments noted for the Mac. It's just as essential for LW as any other mod, perhaps even more so. Pay attention to the LW provided ReadMe. Run the vanilla game to the menu twice, maybe run thru the tutorial just to be sure everything is working correctly, then install LW. Make sure it is working correctly before adding any other mods. Remember that TexMod (if you use it) has to be installed LAST, and uninstalled before you add any other mods later.

Trying to continue a previous game from older versions of LW is always going to be risky, the older the original version the riskier. A new game is your best bet for a trouble-free campaign.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Well I finally got a true back up working so I don't have to reinstall everything every time I try and get the mod working.

That being said I am still having the same error as every other time. I have tried to read through the Forum and find out why my Long War always gets set up so that all my solders get super moves will and 1% aim.

I have read through the installation guide and the only thing I can't figure out is the Phone Home thing... there is some info about finding it on mac but nothing about the App store version... any one figure this out as I know other mac store users have got long war working.

The Linux "Hosts" file is covered in the "Linux Differences" section of the "Basic Guide" (under the "note box" about "Packages under cookedpcconsole"). That is a standard Linux file and location so it shouldn't make any difference as to the source of your game. And yes, that could be enough to be causing your problems.

-Dubious-

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, all...not new to XCOM, just finally getting around to downloading Long War on my Macbook Air...and naturally, I'm being stumped by the process.

I have The Unarchiver app downloaded yet I get an error message that this file (the b15f3-1.exe version) cannot be opened with this app?

I'd love to get my feet wet (bloody?) in Long War...!

Thanks in advance.

edit: NEVER MIND...I see a basic guide up there...going to check that out.

Edited by serlancelot

Well I finally got a true back up working so I don't have to reinstall everything every time I try and get the mod working.

That being said I am still having the same error as every other time. I have tried to read through the Forum and find out why my Long War always gets set up so that all my solders get super moves will and 1% aim.

I have read through the installation guide and the only thing I can't figure out is the Phone Home thing... there is some info about finding it on mac but nothing about the App store version... any one figure this out as I know other mac store users have got long war working.

Looking like you and I have the same problem...you ever get yours resolved? Mac Airbook here...

I have The Unarchiver app downloaded yet I get an error message that this file (the b15f3-1.exe version) cannot be opened with this app?

Does "The Unarchiver" app handle 7z compression formats? Not all unpackers handle all the possible compression methods available to the native packer version, so you might need another unpacker app.

Once you get the 7z archive unpacked, the EXE is an installer for LW. It should be run like any other app, not with another app. See the ReadMe about possible command line parameters you may need.

Just to be clear: LW for the Mac is for the OS/X OS. (Basically Linux.) If you aren't running that OS, it would explain the error message.

-Dubious-

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I guess I wrote a new post which I should have posted here.

I'm new to modding. I just downloaded the latest xcom long war mod and tried to install it by running the script for mac. But it stopped halfway with "Can not find game files. Please specify xew dir location."

I don't know what to do so I pressed Enter and this is what came out.

/Users/~name/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-b15f/install-LW-OSX.sh: line 230: [: !=: unary operator expected

invalid directory specified.

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

Apparently, the install didn't work for me. Please help. I want to play Long War.

PS: I purchased via Mac App Store. Not Steam.

@sceezoe, you have to identify the folder where the game files are stored. I don't have a mac so it may be a bit different, but on pc the file directory is steam/steamapps/common/xcom-enemy-unknown/XEW IIRC.