Unable to save using Creation Kit through Mod Organizer

StarfighterPilot

I've been trying to create a simple follower mod with Creation Kit running through Mod Organizer but when trying to save it displays the following error.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\modname.esp

You don't have permission to modify files in this network location."

I have tried messing with the permission settings of the Skyrim and MO folders as well as running both MO and CK as admin but to no avail. The issue only exists in MO as it works perfectly fine when running straight from Steam. It was working fine yesterday so the issue somehow arose while I was using it today.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by StarfighterPilot

The primary function of MO is to keep your Skyrim vanilla installation clean of other mods, so that you can easily identify your own mod plugin and resource files. It's best to use the CK outside MO's data environment. Once you have complete your mod, you can pack any resource files into a BSA, archive it along with the plugin, and install it through MO (or alternatively, just leave it there. It's your mod so you should know what it contains, especially if you have intentions of releasing it).

If there are plugins installed you can select them in the CK. I don't use MO frequently, but I can't see why the installation tool should have anything to do with actually using the installed plugin in any way. You don't even need to run skyrim via MO, you may use the skse_loader.exe as well and get the same skyrim

Edited by Xelan255

@ripple

I see that it would be cleaner to do it that way. This is my first attempt at modding and I wasn't going to release it so I thought this method would be quicker.

@Xelan255

The plugins weren't showing up when launching CK from Steam which is why I had been using it through MO. I'll try running it normally and just including the resources with the plugin when I install it. I just thought that maybe someone would be familiar with the permission issue since it randomly arose.

Are you saying that you want your plugin to be dependent another mod's plugin as a master (for example, cosmetic or hair mods), that was installed through MO? Hmm...have you tried searching MO's support thread to see if anyone has reported issues with the CK? Unfortunately, I no longer use MO (not because I don't think it's a great mod manager, but for other entirely unrelated reasons), so I cannot tell you if there are problems with trying to run the CK in MO's 'virtual data' environment.

Yeah, I created a character using a couple hair and eye mods so I needed them when I imported it to CK. I looked around for people with similar problems but didn't find anything. I don't know what I did to mess it up since my first try worked yesterday. The whole thing is a little messy through MO anyway so it's probably a better idea to pack the textures in with the plugin.