DA:O, Game not seeing the mods?

Korten12

Edit: Thanks for moving it.

So I had to reinstall DA:O, but I made sure to backup my:

Addins, Characters, and Packages, folders in my Bioware folder in My Documents.

After reinstalling, I put back the folders and... Now the game doesn't see them. I downloaded

Modmanger v1.9d, and I also checked DA Modder, and neither of them see any of the mdos in the folders, despite them being there.

Why is this?

Edited by Korten12

Topic moved as requested.

Gratuitous vulgarity automagiically edited by SiteBot.

(Consider that a friendly reminder of Nexus site etiquette. Next time it'll be a Warning. :armscrossed: )

As for your actual problem, the answer is, "It depends".

(I don't use DAModder (DAM) so can't speak to any issues there.)

As for DAO ModManager (DAMM), it expects you to place the ".dazip" and ".override" mods it handles into a separate folder from your "\addins" one. DAMM then takes care of putting all the pieces where they belong so that they work in-game.

(NOTE: Almost all mods that aren't packaged as ".dazip" files go in your "\<player profile>\Bioware\Dragon Age\packages\core\override" folder anyway, and aren't even noticed by DAMM.)

So unless you specifically set things up that way, mods handled by DAMM won't (and shouldn't) be in any of the folders you say you backed-up. Check the "Options" tab (last one on the right) and be sure you've set the paths correctly for your situation.

More importantly, you should be sure you understand all the different kinds of mods for the DA-series and how they each need to be installed. None of the managers, not even the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) can handle all of them correctly.

See this article: Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies on the Nexus wiki.

When there are problems it really helps to know how a given mod is supposed to be installed so you can correct the issue. :thumbsup:

Sorry to put my oar in, but Korten, have you thought to backup your Settings directory ?

In that folder you have a file called "Addins.xml" that lists all the mods you have installed, and it's overwritten when your re-install your game.
So, if you didn't restored your Addins.xml, it explains your issue : your mods are properly "installed" again but the game isn't able to recognize them.

Well, to make them work again, I think the better (= easier for you) solution is, alas, to reinstall them with Daupdater or DAModder.

<snip>

In that folder you have a file called "Addins.xml" that lists all the mods you have installed, and it's overwritten when your re-install your game.

To be clear, that file contain entries for the "official" DLC and any other ".dazip" mods installed in your game. Nothing else.

Which is why I say that you need to understand all the different kinds of mods and how each type needs to be handled.

As for your actual problem, the answer is, "It depends".

(I don't use DAModder (DAM) so can't speak to any issues there.)

As for DAO ModManager (DAMM), it expects you to place the ".dazip" and ".override" mods it handles into a separate folder from your "\addins" one. DAMM then takes care of putting all the pieces where they belong so that they work in-game.

(NOTE: Almost all mods that aren't packaged as ".dazip" files go in your "\<player profile>\Bioware\Dragon Age\packages\core\override" folder anyway, and aren't even noticed by DAMM.)

So unless you specifically set things up that way, mods handled by DAMM won't (and shouldn't) be in any of the folders you say you backed-up. Check the "Options" tab (last one on the right) and be sure you've set the paths correctly for your situation.

More importantly, you should be sure you understand all the different kinds of mods for the DA-series and how they each need to be installed. None of the managers, not even the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) can handle all of them correctly.

See this article: Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies on the Nexus wiki.

When there are problems it really helps to know how a given mod is supposed to be installed so you can correct the issue. :thumbsup:

So should I just reinstall the mods?

So should I just reinstall the mods?

Basically, yes.

But as I said, "It depends..."

You should have a clear understanding of what types of mods you're installing.

Be sure that you're using the appropriate method for the particular mod(s) involved. :thumbsup: