Player Character Randomly Dies

ReeseHolmes

I'm not just posting a problem; I'm also posting its solution.

There is a rare and seemingly random bug in Vanilla Skyrim where the player, rather than experiencing a normal death, gets back up. Everything seems normal until 10-30 minutes later (timing varies), they experience a scripted death. If you're the type who doesn't save vigilantly (don't laugh, we've all been guilty of it at some point), all hope seems lost. Suddenly, it's like Death is having a field day teasing and prodding your player at the most inconvenient times, like for instance, while you're merrily skipping across a stream in the middle of a safe and lovely town.

And the worst part is, if you've SAVED since then, all of the following saves are corrupted by this vicious and nasty bug. Yeah, so you're thinking, by the Nine, do I have to go back to a save from before this nightmare happened?

The answer is a resounding, I don't think you do, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

You see, I believe I experienced this bug... and survived. Wanna know how? Of course you do. And Google unfortunately scarcely helped me, hence why I'm writing this out. But I did find an obscure, tiny little post on the internet and in my desperation, I followed its advice.

I punched a guard. That's right. Violence. Got myself thrown in jail and served my time. Haven't experienced a single randomly scripted death since.

However, I have a mod installed called DAYMOYL, which complicates things a tad. For instance, rather than just getting up again after being defeated, my body froze and the DAYMOYL mod's menu never popped up. I had to reset my player's body and then all seemed normal until the random death bug of doom reared its ugly noggin.

And instead of simply getting arrested, I allowed myself to be defeated by the guards, which with DAYMOYL just throws you in jail instead of killing you.

So, my questions are:

Have you experienced the randomly scripted defeat bug?

Have you experienced the randomly scripted defeat bug with DAYMOYL installed?

If so, what did you do to fix it? I really hope this post helps people who experience this horrible glitch.

This can also happen with script lag,

I think I used the utility in Death Alternative "reset player state"

Could just consul command up the active effects ID's and remove them.

Mine was I'd randomly jump and "wasted". Jump in my house. Wasted. Jump on the road? Wasted. Turns out I needed to update DAYMOYL, after that, not a single problem since.

I've seen the fix of punching a guard, but keep in mind, DAYMOYL 5.0 has fixed a scripting issue where jumping would inadvertently trigger a death event like you had succumbed to your wounds, and it would be fatal, causing a reload, and there was no way to anticipate when it would trigger.

So, my double lincolns, try the punching a guard first, if that doesn't work, and you aren't against updating mods ( I don't like to update because it usually means a broken save) then update your DAYMOYL.

This can also happen with script lag,

I think I used the utility in Death Alternative "reset player state"

Could just consul command up the active effects ID's and remove them.

Also, just to warn people, DO NOT SELECT death alternative if you do not know what you are doing. After you do, you can never "un select" it, as it will ruin that save game. You cannot clean it, there is no safety loading method to get around it, it will be ruined, the DAYMOYL mod developer has this warning on his page specifically about that option in the DAYMOYL settings.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey this is how i fixed it

player.setav health (a very high number) and then it stopped
Yep thats how i fixed my bug in the game

Now this probably only fixes it if you actually had more health then you should have in the begining and went to the skill menu to upgrade a few things and upgraded your health and it bugged now this worked for me anyway hope it helps someone out.