Well, this is awkward... (werewolf + dead NPC questions!)

marieclairek

FIRST ISSUE

I chose the werewolf option at the end of the Companions quest-line, mainly because I never (everEVER) wanted to risk being a vampire again. Those vamps are high maintenance! Anyway, I appreciated the immunity to diseases and such, too, and have really enjoyed not having to worry about those throughout the course of the game ever since. Earlier today, however, when I was playing with the Thieves Guild, I started getting those "you look sick" comments from the locals. At first, I honestly didn't even think anything of it. You know how it is... NPCs have their standard lines, so you just tune them out after a while. But then I had my big WTF moment, and went to a shrine for a cure just to be safe.

Why would this happen? Why would I start getting those comments again? I'm still a werewolf, so this shouldn't be happening, right? I didn't see anything unusual in my various list of powers, either, as you normally would when you contract a disease. Any ideas?

SECOND ISSUE

Funny story, actually...

I took my husband (Vilkas) out on a quest with me and my usual gang, because the poor fella never got out of the house once we were married. I thought he'd appreciate some fresh air and bloodshed. Unfortunately, he died somewhere in the dungeon, because I went in with 5 followers, thanks to a mod, but I only came out with three. When I realized Vilkas was one of the ones missing ("NOOOO, THAT'S THE FATHER OF MY CHILDREN!"), I went all the way back through the dungeon looking for his body, so I could resurrect him. I never found it. Panicked, I immediately googled for a possible remote resurrection sort of deal, and found a suggestion wherein one uses the console command "placeatme". This wouldn't bring back the old Vilkas, but it would spawn a new one. I figured that would be okay. I'd just go through the whole marriage thing again, right? Easypeasy! I did it, and yaaay, he was back!!

... You know how in most fantasy/magickal books and movies, they always warn that it's not a good idea to bring someone back from the dead? That the person you miss is gone, and you would only succeed in bringing back something terrible and unnatural?

It's the same in Skryim, apparently.

When he first appeared, everything was great. I opened up his dialog menu, and saw that it was all back to the original, pre-nuptial, options. So, I parted ways and sent him back to the Companions until I could finish my quests (I still had to look up how to get re-married, too). After everything was done, and I had learned how to go about getting married again, I went back to Jorrvaskr to pick up my hot date.

Y'all... I walked in, and he was sitting there buttass naked, eating bread, asking me if I'd found some strange creatures in my travels.

He has no idea.

At that point, I tried making him a follower again, trading some stuff with him, so he'd have clothes and whatnot, and then parted ways again. No dice. He went right back to being naked, wandering around, eating and drinking, and though I'm sure it's all in my head, I swear he even sounded like he'd lost his mind. Not being able to fix the bug, I decided to marry Farkas (look, I already know I'm going to hell, okay?! don't get judgy!) and move on, but every time I went to Jorrvaskr for something, there he'd be, all naked and loony. Finally, I figured, screwit. I'll just kill off this demon spawn clone I'd created. Put the poor man out of his misery, y'know? So, I took him all the way up north, as far as we could go, and I killed him. I even gave him a burial at sea, so to speak, by sliding him off the glacier we were on.

As soon as I returned to Solitude, the courier found me and delivered an inheritance letter. Finally! It was fixed!

I should know better.

I went back to Jorrvaskr, and guess who was there? Still naked. Still eating his bread.

At this point, I'm sure I'm getting exactly what I deserve, but shot in the dark... does anyone have ANY clue how I can fix this? I tried killing him off again, but it worked about as well as it did the first time (no letter after the second killing, though).

How far back is the last save you had your original husband with you?

Doesn't really matter for method #2, as long as you have -any- save with Farkas alive. Load up that save, open the console, click on Farkas (now you've got his RefID, better try to remember it, although it's not needed) and load your current save. This time, don' use the placeatme, since, as you've noticed, clones the subject of your desire. Instead, use either "moveto player" or "player.moveto xxxxxx" (where xxxxxx is Farkas' RedID). The first one delivers the body to your location (provided that it hasn't been cleaned), while the second moves you to whereever he's hiding.

FIRST ISSUE

I chose the werewolf option at the end of the Companions quest-line, mainly because I never (everEVER) wanted to risk being a vampire again. Those vamps are high maintenance! Anyway, I appreciated the immunity to diseases and such, too, and have really enjoyed not having to worry about those throughout the course of the game ever since. Earlier today, however, when I was playing with the Thieves Guild, I started getting those "you look sick" comments from the locals. At first, I honestly didn't even think anything of it. You know how it is... NPCs have their standard lines, so you just tune them out after a while. But then I had my big WTF moment, and went to a shrine for a cure just to be safe.

Why would this happen? Why would I start getting those comments again? I'm still a werewolf, so this shouldn't be happening, right? I didn't see anything unusual in my various list of powers, either, as you normally would when you contract a disease. Any ideas?

Have you let your character sleep regular?

You can get that comment if your character hasn't been sleeping enough as well as from being ill or diseased.

I do not have any saves from back that far, but when I was doing the placeatme thing, I used both. Only one worked. It's been a few days now, as you can imagine, so I'm pretty sure his body is gone. Just in case that is true, is there a way to delete him through the console? Or are we pretty much now stuck with "special" Vilkas, if the moveto option doesn't work?

Dante, I do sleep as regularly as I can. I TRY (though sometimes I clearly fail) to keep it as immersed as possible. So, if I hop the carriage clear across Skyrim, I will sleep again, if it's nighttime in the new location, even if I just slept before heading out. When I'm in the middle of a questline, however, it's a toss-up as to whether or not I can be that thorough with it, so I'm glad you pointed out that sleep can also be a culprit. I'll try that next time and see if the comments stop again. Thank you!! :)

FIRST ISSUE

Fun fact! When a vampire/werewolf, you cannot get the Well Rested perk (which you would normally get after sleeping for ~6+ hours) and this perk lasts all day, so if you do not have the perk active on your character for more then a day (I believe) you will get the sick comments.

Fun fact pt.2! I have no idea what to do about Vilkas. If loading up a save doesn't work, I believe there is a command to kill NPC's permanently... but I'm not certain.

Ideally, the best route would've been to reload your last save before Farkas's death.

Failing that, if you saved before respawning Farkas, then instead of placeatme, you could do prid 1A693 (to select Farkas's RefID) and then moveto player. Then the original Farkas would be in front of you to resurrect.

(Spawning a new copy of a unique NPC can sometimes confuse the game and cause problems later on.)

Edited by AaronOfMpls

"Disable" removes them from the game... sort of. Actually, they're still there, just invisible, untouchable and unable to interact. So, as far as the game goes, they're gone. But you can re-enable them via "prid xxxxxxx" (you can get the number from the internet) and then "enable".

"Markfordelete" however gets rid of the target completely. That's the cleaner way.

Fingers crossed... I think I may now be Vilkasless. I tried one more time to kill him, and so far, he hasn't shown back up. I'll keep checking Jorrvaskr. If he appears again, he's getting disabled. Thank you all so much for the help!! You rock! xD