Downloading issues update

Dark0ne

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame Steam.

And all the awesome mods we have here at the Nexus... So many great mods and enhancements from great folks. All the hard work and effort spent on making our games exciting and new despite how many times we've played them through. My thanks to all the modders out there, you folks rock!

A lot of my friends participated in that sale. They, very strict players, most of which do not mod at all, use Nexus. This is a primary hub for the Unofficial Patches and bug fixes, and more insight is shown on the development and future updates of these mods here more than anywhere else.

Well you have to consider that the quakecon sale also happened very recently. For 24 hours most of the TES games were up to 75% off. So compound with the previous summer sale and the fact that anyone who may have missed out (probably a crapload if these issues are any indication) then everyone and their mom got all of them in the quakecon sale. So I feel like this is why people are still hankering down and beating the crap out of the download servers. Edited by The 3rd Type

I one of those people that reformats often and generally messes around with my Skyrim installation alot, so I come to the nexus very often to re-download mods of all types, for the past year the site has always had issues, especially on the download side of things and when you enabled the new download system, it got a whole lot worse, infuriatingly noticing that it's trying to contact a download server I know never usually works for me, only to just be greeted by an error page 5-10 minutes after and I have to retry and desperately hope I'm lucky enough to get a non-crap server the next time, since you switched back to the old system and server selection has became available again I've been able to download files easily without fail, instead of having to waste loads of time praying it'll try a better server when it feels like it.

I would also like to add that something really needs to be done about how nexus mod manager goes about download files aswell, I'd say at least 80% of the time I use it to download a mod, it will fail multiple times before actually beginning to download, it usually takes at least 5 minutes for a single mod to begin downloading, adding on to this if I'm downloading alot of mods at the same time, I can almost safely assume without fail that an exception will crop up about a mod currently being open somehow, causing the entire program to crash and screw things up further.

I was actually experiencing a speed increase and such with the new download system, oddly having no issues until recently. I'm in agreement with the theory that the Quakecon and Steam Summer sales are pushing the server capacity issues. I may not be of the popular mindset on the issue of the new download system, but I for one, have to say I like the new one better.

That being said, I greatly appreciate the efforts you are all making to deal with this sudden increase in user download traffic and while laggy, I can still get the downloads that I need/want for my games. Thank you for taking the time to update all of us on the situation.

In response to post #16773919.

Were you aware that you could set your default download site for the new system in your profile settings? When the changeover occurred I too was pointed to a server that was not the best for my area. However I read the article on the new system, made the preference change that was recommended in the INSTRUCTIONS and had no problems. There is no difference in download speeds or reliability between the old and new system for me. Secondly, before you knock a site, I think you need to take a step back and objectively view the whole system. Had you also considered that your PROVIDER may have issues as well? Nexus is not responsible for problems there. Maybe I'm just lucky with my location and provider, but I think you should do a more in-depth analysis of what's happening to you and post specifics to the appropriate thread (i.e. the bug report site for NMM) rather than vent your spleen in a shotgun approach in a common area. No, I'm not affiliated with the site I'm just a regular premium member/user. I do, however, dislike seeing it bashed when I've experienced YEARS of excellent service and total honesty by Dark One when they do have problems. Very few sites accept responsibility for screw ups like this one does, the others would rather blame anything else but themselves. You will be hard pressed to find this level of honesty elsewhere. I trust you will take this to heart objectively and hope that you solve your issues soon, and you will if you work with them and not just sit there and whine.
Regards