Running two games with different mods

creardon11

I've searched and searched, and found similar questions, but nothing that quite gives the answer I'm looking for, so I thought I'd give it a shot with a thread of my own. Sorry if it's a common question and I missed it somehow.

I'm thinking of running two games with separate sets of mods. My machine is pretty eh, and it has a hard time running Frostfall at the required 20 second script time if I'm running other scripty mods.

I'm currently playing a game with such mods (Save A, for example), and without Frostfall. I'm wondering if it would be possible to start another game (Save B, both existing at the same time) using a much shorter load order without other script heavy mods so I can get Frostfall running properly (it would be the essential mod for that game).

I'm using the NMM, and I'm wondering what to do. Should I remove the mods on Save A completely (take them out of the plugin list by making NMM uninstall them), play what I want on Save B, then reinstall and restore the Save A load order when I want to play Save A? Would this uninstall then reinstall process cause save issues? Or is unchecking the mod in the plugin list and starting a new game enough to keep the installed but inactive scripts from screwing with the save? Or is this whole set up just a bad idea?

Thanks for any sort of help, it's really appreciated.

You need Wrye Bash. Uncheck mods you dont need.

Find /Appdata/Local/Skyrim folder. 5 files there are loadorder of your game. After you made load order you need in Wrye Bash, copy those files to some other folder. Any time you need this exact mod setup, you can copy them in Local/Skyrim folder. You can create any amount of mod variances such way

Edited by mindw0rk2

Just to extend bit off what mindwork was saying. "copy those files to some other folder. Any time you need this exact mod setup, you can copy them in Local/Skyrim folder. You can create any amount of mod variances such way"

There's a cleaner way to do this.

Download all the mods you want (this won't work for replacers unless they're packed and have an esp). Enable the mods you want for a particular save and the same for another. When you need to load up your other save go to the saves tab in wrye smash right click -> load masters. The requirements for that save file have now been loaded and non-requirements unloaded.

For some reason, I'm having a hard time installing Wyre Bash. The installer gives me NSIS error, and the standalone 7z won't unpack.

I'm going to keep trying, but if I fail, would either of the methods I mentioned using NMM work (namely the first one involving uninstalling and reinstalling to achieve the correct load order)? If I pay close attention and make certain the load order is the same, would the uninstalling and reinstalling still cause issues even if I only ever entered saves (as in played the game) with their correct, respective load order? Thanks a lot.