Different color between members

Deleted3619564User

@jim_uk;

I agree the language should be consistent ("donate" / "contribution", not "buy" / "payment") and the distinction is important because there is no sales or service contract between the Nexus and the Premium Members.

To go back to another personal example, I've authorized an automatic monthly "payment" to my local public radio station. If they go off the air for hours-to-days (which has happened) am I entitled to a refund? Are they operating a scam? Was I defrauded? What agreement can I point to in court and say they broke their end of the deal? If I'm upset enough, my only recourse is simply to cancel my membership. (Which is what it's called in that case as well.)

Same thing here. Premium Members voluntarily contribute, they get some perks for doing so, and the Nexus could not operate without their support! But people who take the attitude that, "I paid for the service so you By-God better provide it!" get the response/clarification above.

Dark0ne goes out of his way to respond to individual problems that Premium Members might be having, especially regarding processing their donations or membership status change appropriately. But if there's a technical issue between that member's computer and the Nexus servers, (e.g. ISP-related) or it's something that's affecting everyone, (Premium or not) then there's not much he can do specifically for that member.

(And I know you know this jim, but for others who may not: The Moderators have no special inside track to the Nexus. We come in through the front door just like everybody else. Failures to connect, slow response times, and interrupted downloads affect us just as much as anyone else, and there's nothing we can do except "clear the cache", "log-off/log-on again", "try another browser", or "try later". :pinch: )

The minute the payment is made and accepted a contract exists, contracts don't have to be on bits of paper, the very act of making a purchase creates one. As for the radio station, in this country you would be entitled to a refund if the level of service wasn't of a satisfactory quality or as described, the odd outage wouldn't count, not being able to access the service at all certainly would. The same applies to premium here, the odd outage or slow patch can't be helped, it's reasonable to expect it to happen every now and again, what is not reasonable is to take someones money and then tell them the site is under no obligation to provide what was advertised. This is what the guy I referred to was being told, he'd paid his money but the account hadn't been upgraded, he'd handed over his money and was being told the site had no obligation to provide anything in return for his money because it was a "donation", legalities aside that looked really bad.

My problem with "Make and donation and we'll give you something in return" is it looks dodgy, it sounds like something Del Boy would come up with, it gives the impression the site is happy to take the money but wants the option to weasel out of its responsibilities. Those of us who know how the site is run know how far from the truth that is, Dark0ne goes way above and beyond what is required by any law.

I agree the language should be consistent, however where premium is concerned I think the word "donation" is the one that needs to go.

<snip>

My problem with "Make and donation and we'll give you something in return" is it looks dodgy, it sounds like something Del Boy would come up with, it gives the impression the site is happy to take the money but wants the option to weasel out of its responsibilities. Those of us who know how the site is run know how far from the truth that is, Dark0ne goes way above and beyond what is required by any law.

I agree the language should be consistent, however where premium is concerned I think the word "donation" is the one that needs to go.

(I just re-read this entire topic. No where did you refer to a particular individual or her/his issue. Until now. As I specifically noted, Dark0ne takes an immediate and personal interest in the cases of members who donate to the Nexus but find that their status hasn't updated. That is a distinct, and very rare, situation.)

But as for the overall topic: it is, in fact, a voluntary donation, not a purchase. So the word "Donation" will stay. Remember, the services available on the Nexus are FREE TO USE BY ALL who register. No donation necessary.

There is an expectation, of course, that making a donation and becoming a "Premium Member" will result in being able to use the perks associated with that status. It's an expectation that the Nexus strives to meet but which may, never-the-less, be disappointed on occasion.

Be that as it may, let's review just what those perks are as actually described on the "Go Premium" page:

Premium features

To say thank you to our members who support us we provide Premium Members with an improved experience on both the Nexus sites and within our Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) that normal members cannot access.

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/contents/images/icons/big/chart.png
Uncapped file downloads

All the files we offer on the sites are capped at 1024 kilobytes a second (1MB/second) to ensure we can offer a stable service for everyone. We remove this cap for Premium Members so you can download files faster than 1024kb/second if your connection can handle it.

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/contents/images/icons/big/favorite.png
Premium only file servers

On top of uncapped download speeds we also have four Premium-only file servers. These are file servers that only Premium Members can download from and they're based in different geographic locations.

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/contents/images/icons/big/user_add.png
Download multi-threading

While normal members are limited to 1 download thread per file Premium Members are allowed up to 4 which can greatly improve your download speeds whether you're using NMM or downloading manually through your browser.

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/contents/images/icons/big/application_edit.png
No advertising

No matter what amount of time you choose to buy you'll never see adverts on any Nexus site ever again, even after your Premium Membership expires.

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/contents/images/icons/big/comment.png
Private message capacity

All premium members can store 5 times as many private messages. The total archive size is 500 compared to 100 for normal members. Your archive size will remain at 500 even after your Premium Membership time expires.

No one is trying to, in your words, "weasel out" of anything. Every one of those "benefits" is provided to Premium Members, even when the entire Nexus environment is overwhelmed. Every. Single. One. But some people are trying to manufacture a further obligation where none exists, and demand a level of service ("... or else!") that was never promised.

The forums are to talk and so talking.... :smile:

First of all it needs a summary:

- i opened the topic asking for a plus for premium users

- this because i think that there is a difference between a premium and not (partly true)

- for you there is no difference between users

- we aren't speaking about a single person (when i use I or you....i don't intend ME or YOU but it is an intercalary to speak - the Italian language is diffucult but very accurate in this, unfortunately in English it simple to be misunderstood because there aren't often explicit methods)

- we aren't blaming someone of something

- we are speaking to give new ideas to improve this site

I would to remember that this is a WWW and the laws can be different between countries and the way to think also (for example i am Italian), so you cannot do an example of your country because it can be wrong.

This is my opinion:

i accept your idea IF you intend that Premium isn't a donation but that's a payment (you can intend it LIKE A WAY TO DONATE but it's not a DONATION).

A DONATION, like the word says, is something that a person decides to do and it isn't a payment to buy something.

A PAYMENT is obviously something that a person decides to do but it is a payment to buy something.

So, making a payment does not mean being better than others or expect to be treated differently, there is a payment, there is what i bought by that payment (in this case premium features). I use a shopping cart, i put the things in it and i pay. THAT ISN'T A DONATION. Then.....if you intend that it is a CONTRIBUTION to upkeep the site, ok, but it is a payment to buy something. This is it.

The difference between Premium and not, already exists, but this does not mean that a premium is "superior", but the distinction is a fact. I made a subscription, other people no. THAT'S A FACT. You cannot avoid this fact when you give the possibility to do it. There are great people here, modders and not, that aren't Premium and viceversa. I am not speaking about this.

If i buy Premium, i buy Uncapped file downloads,Premium only file servers,Download multi-threading,No advertising,Private message capacity, there isn't wrote "you will be marked as Premium Member"; but there is another level to take: i "GO PREMIUM", so you mark me as PREMIUM. It's not the same thing that i enter ebay, buy something and finished.

The different level of service (for example for the support or other else) is another thing again. Don't mix what do you aspect to be premium, with what you ARE to be premium. If i bought a sandwitch and a coke, I cannot expect even a cake with the same money :smile: