New "SORT BY" type

demarnem

Hi there,

there are heaps of mods around and I have a hard time finding ones that are considered to be "good" by the majority.

Sorting by 'Most endorsed' and 'Most downloaded' works, but it's pretty hard to judge what's really good from that.

So, I thought I would ask you to add a new "SORT BY" type.

The new type would be base on the endorsed/downloaded ratio (or, "%" if you multiply ratio by 100).

IMHO, it would make more sense than any of the other methods because it would push back mods that are downloaded a lot but are not endorsed.

Any chance of adding such a thing?

If you have too much time at your hands, you could take it a step further, and add ranges (either manual number entries or checkboxes for pre-defined values like on Newegg). E.g. 0-5%, 5-10%, 10-25%, 25-50%, 50-75%, 75-85%, 85-95%, 95-100%, or something like that anyway, so I could look for a specific range.

Thank you for considering!

This sounds good on paper but it'll throw up some really odd results, I got the calculator out a while back and found that small niche mods would go right up, the type of mods with a small but dedicated following, the ratio on those mods is much higher than on the big well known ones.

That could be easily avoided by setting a min. download limit for mods to even show up; say, min. 1000.

But that could be another filter, too ;-)

The limit would be logical as people would be using this to get a list of mods that are popular - and mods that are downloaded only by a small group cannot possibly be popular.

I'm sure you'll figure out a good value for the limit.

Edited by demarnem

Most endorsed IS most popular. Every one of those endorsements is from someone that liked that mod and thought it was good enough to recommend to others.

As for 'Really good' that is highly subjective - there are people that go bonkers over some niche mod that most people could care less about. I have seen mods that are downloaded a lot, then not endorsed much - why? because the author did a good job of marketing his mod in the description, People tried it based on that description - or more likely a picture :rolleyes: , then likely removed it and didn't endorse as it wasn't what they expected from the description or pictures. Finding these is a good use for tag search - which allows you to search by something other than popularity.

Finding those that are considered good by the majority is as simple as looking at the top files listings.

Go to the front page for any game here. Look at the buttons across the top- hover ( do not click) over 'Files'

On the drop down list, click on 'Top Files'

EVERY file for that game is listed by endorsements (popularity) in several categories.

25 or 100 not enough? Scroll to the bottom and click on 'forward' to see the next 25 or 100 files in that category.

That could be easily avoided by setting a min. download limit for mods to even show up; say, min. 1000.

But that could be another filter, too ;-)

The limit would be logical as people would be using this to get a list of mods that are popular - and mods that are downloaded only by a small group cannot possibly be popular.

I'm sure you'll figure out a good value for the limit.

They can get well over a 1,000, the system you're suggesting would have put some New Vegas comic strips I made above most of the current top 10, NV bounties, AWOP ect. One of the top mods would a be joke mod called "A Tree" that adds nothing more than a tree to the gameworld, again over 1000 downloads. This was discussed at length on the modders board, to start with I was thought it was a good idea, I changed my mind after getting the calculator out.