My Opinions about Skyrim

CompanyOfGamers

I remember getting the Dark Brotherhood quest way back when. I had killed someone accidentally, a soldier IIRC, after stumbling upon some random bear fight and trying to help from long range with a bow. I think a horse reported me. :mellow:

In any case, the non-Spoiler version is that I reloaded a save to avoid that quest line, and to this day I have never completed it. I deal with the DB the "other" way now. It took me months to finally get through the Thieves Guild, because of hesitation at the orphanage. Not to mention the Namira and Boethiah quests, or even Hircine. Now, I have played shooters, war games, space epics, etc., and have rarely even thought twice about nuking entire planetary populations with my latest, purpose built, enhanced technology mega-weapon. I'm not really sure where my moral difficulty in Skyrim comes from.

Skyrim was obviously meant to be "gray" on purpose. The Civil War. The Aedra/Daedra metaphor and religion. The Forsworn. Even the Falmer. Racism in Windhelm. The whole game turns around blurred and ill defined concepts of good and evil. Probably one reason its so popular; you get to make your own choices. I don't see the whole game as "dark" cause MY personal faction is a blazing beacon of good and righteousness held up for all of Tamriel to marvel over. Come over to my side, or I'll kill you.

Games are supposed to be fun. Different people will like different games. Skyrim is one of those that is just not for everyone. If it's not any fun, then you need to find a different game. One that is fun for you to play. Forcing yourself to play just because everyone else plays it will just get you depressed - and besides, not everyone else does play it. :blush:

I feel a little bit of the same way that there aren't enough GOOD quests. but it doesn't really bother me, I want to beable to pull down evil deadra statues. I want to beable to tell off a Deadra when I wont complete their quest and it not be in the failed quest spot, but a non accepted quest spot.

I would love to have more helping quests, and crafting quests. Craft 100 complete sets of armor for <civil war faction of choice> or Make 100 soups to Feed the poor of <insert city/town>. Capture and imprison thieves vs killing them. Lots of things I wish could give me the option to be less violent. Though I still want to beable to cut a guys head off or sneak up and slit his throat should I feel it.

@bben46

Thanks for your answer and recommendation. I will think about that. Skyrim is actually good game for me. Beautiful Graphics even in Medium mod without any High Resoultion Package and we are free to do our choices, we can join several factions or we can join civil war if we want. But, I have a problem about the theme of this game. When I've heard this game, I've thought we use a character like Aragorn the son of Arathorn, or maybe dirtier character Captain Jack Sparrow but, the Quest line of Skyrim is mostly evil. This shocked me quite much. I think this game makes me sick when I play it but, I love several things about the game so, I don't want to leave this same time, I am in a dilemma. Ofcourse, I don't want to a game do good things every time, little dirtier character is more interesting and enthusiastic for a game player. But, it can't be reach %30 or %35 maybe. If there was a evil-meter, Skyrim would take 8.5/10. In addition, even though Assasin's Creed is a dark universe too, it don't effect me at all.

I have found some solutions to not to make some Daedric Quests,

- First, to not do Molag Bal's quests, kill the Vigilant of Stendarr before talking with him.

- Second, to not do Sanguine's quests, kill the Sam before talking with him in inn. If he is a killable person.

- Third, to not do Sheogorath's quests, kill Sheogorath in former Emperor's mind, If it is a killable person. Its artifact sucks.

- Fourth, to not do Namira's quests, kill Eola in the Hall of the Dead or, to make more money, help Eola for her first quest, after that get Brother Verulus to her second quest and kill all Cannibals in front of Namira's Altar and rescue Brother Verulus, he will give you 1000 golds. $$$ Cha-ching $$$

- Fifth, to not do Hircine's quests, kill Sinding from long distance(to not to talk with him) with a bow in his cell. Maybe you can get Hircine's Ring its corpse if you can reach him, but it is nearly impossible. Maybe you should start dialog and put "Tab" button and give him a last strike with you two-handed weapon after you make his health being decreased with your bow.

- Sixth, to not do Sithis' quests (in other words "Destroying the Dark Brotherhood") kill Astrid in Abandoned Shack. If you have Low Level character, I suggest you to earn Werewolf Transformation ability to kill her, it will be easier I think.

- Seventh, to not do Noctural's quests (in other words "Destroying the Thieves' Guild"), you must install a mod.

- Azura are Meridia are not wholly evil Daedra so I can work for them without hesitation. This leads to a little dirtier character. I want to The Black Star, because I love soul-hunting in the game, I dunno why but, it's kinda fun. Actually, you can do Mephala's quests too. She is evil but quests are not like Sanguine's. Sanguine's Artifact is very useful I think. Thieves' Guild would be fun too I think. I hate Noctural but, I have no problem with it. It doesn't want any soul, blood or human flesh I guess. To doing Clacus Vile's quests are not much dark too. Get dog to him, after that get the Axe to him, don't kill Barbas take Clacus Vile's helmet. Sheogorath's quests aren't dark so much, too. I can take his artifact even though it is useless thing. As a result I can take quests from Azura and Meridia without any hesitation and take quests from Mephala, Sanguine, Noctural, Sheogorath and Clacus Vile with some hesitation. Because, Azura and Meridia have good sides, but others don't. In addition you must do Barbas mission because, its not killable.

NOTES:

- I have already tried Fourth, Fifth and Sixth ones. First one probably work because, the Vigilant of Stendarr is a killable person.

- I think Sithis neither a Daedra nor an Aedra but, it looks like evil. I can count its quests as Deadratic too.

- Werewolf Transformation ability can be earned from the Companions' quests but; you should know, the Companions were bounded to a Daedra called Hircine, and it has betrayed them. Some members likes being Werewolf, someones hates being Werewolf. For someones, it's a gift, for others it's a curse. Werewolf-lovers loves Hircine but, others don't in my opinion. I think it's a gift if you use it to do good things not like a Vampire Lord. But, in Werewolf Transformation you must eat just human bodies to improve your perk in the beginning. I hate that, it isn't different from cannibalism. After that, you can hunt Foxes, Elks and other animals to eat and improve your bloodlust. It is normal but, eating human corpses maybe don't harmful at all, because you must even kill your enemies if you are normal human too. I can't allow this behavior if it is even for bandits' corpses.

Edited by CompanyOfGamers

Or just use common sense and do not commit automatically to everything that is added to the game journal.

With a little bit of thought, you can even pass Bleak Falls Barrow without harming the bandits living there.

While I do wish there were better alternatives for "good" characters who get mixed up in the Daedric schemes, I'm mostly talking about better dialogue choices. At long last, I've become comfortable with leaving certain quests unfinished in my journal (there's also a Quest Eraser mod for those who can't stand having a cluttered journal: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26660/?), and beyond that it's just a matter of roleplaying. You can go wipe out the Boethiah cult without sacrificing a follower, you can leave the Mehrunes razor fragments with their guardians, you can clear out Meridia's temple without agreeing to become her champion. Heck, regardless of your opinion on Malacath I always feel like doing that quest and helping the tribe/getting rid of their gutless leader is the right choice. Even the Companions, you can see it as a means to an end where you free 3 other individuals from Hircine's control (along with yourself).

Sometimes even good people get put into bad situations (having to kill the vigilant in Molag Bal's house), and I like that. It doesn't mean you have to continue that quest line any further. And as others have said, in a lot of ways I feel like Skyrim isn't dark enough. The main quest, and the Dragonborn and Dawnguard quest lines, 3 of the 4 biggest quest lines in the game, are all pretty "white" quests for "good" characters where the objective is to kill the bad guy and save the world. Even if you're choosing the vampire side in Dawnguard, you still kill Harkon and Vyrthr rather than joining/helping them. If anything, I feel like there should be more "evil" quests in Skyrim. Heck, a lot of the Daedric quests aren't exactly evil (Sheogorath, Sanguine, Meridia, probably others if I thought about it). Yes, you can do plenty of evil things like steal and murder, but those are mostly up to the player outside of Thieves/Dark Brotherhood questlines. There have been accounts of people roleplaying the game as pacifists who don't kill anyone (sneak past people, use Calm or Fear spells, etc.). There aren't options for things like raping and pillaging, for sacking an entire town or city. Game of Thrones is far, far darker than Skyrim in my opinion. No doubt about it.

The game could also use more grey questlines ala the civil war, where there's no right or wrong choice.

My one biggest morality peeve however, is the Destroy the Dark Brotherhood. I hate that you have to murder the orphanage lady to get it started rather than getting the mission by drawing them into an ambush or getting info on the hideout from Penitus Oculatus. Thankfully, there are mods for such things...:)

Things that should be mentioned:

The main questline doesn't really involve doing anything evil that I can recall, except briefly associating with Brynjolf. (And honestly the evil-ness of the TG is debatable, save for its relation to Nocturnal.) Other than dealing with the Blades, that is. (I hate you, Delphine, I hate you. Do your job or get out of my temple.) It also should be noted that you can serve Aedra, in certain capacities. There are no Aedric quests because Aedra don't work like Daedra; they tend to associate less with mortals. However, the dragons are Aedra, so working for Paarthurnax or helping Durnehviir in Dawnguard would count. And of course just by doing most anything, you're serving Akatosh, as he's the reason you're Dragonborn.

Hey now, Nocturnal is not evil. None of the Daedra are. They're pineapple. By that o ran that morality isn't relavent to them. Molar can no less decide not to oppress and rape than a bear can program binary. The Daedra are self aware concepts, not people.