Heavy moded Skyrim - requirements

kseon12

Hi all :)

Last week i waste for modding skyrim. At the and i set up to 217 mods(most of them from RealVision ENB). The fps i think normal, but i have freezes. And when i arrive to checkpoint(where we choose player) freezes become more often.

Here my PC hardware:

1) Asus m5a99x evo

2) Phenom II x4 980 3.7 GHr (with Zalman radiator)

3) Radeon hd 6850 msi cyclone 1 gb
4) DDR3 8Gb (2x4Gb) Kingston HyperX Fury

5) XFX 800W (i guese ?)

5) Hitachi HDS723020BLA642

So, been wondering where is my narrow chanel ?
I know that my videocard is not so powerfull, but maybe the first problem is HDD ?
P.S.
In my enblocal.ini there are two lines
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=4096
The second line was written that it's RAM (but why there "video"). If it's really RAM, maybe i can tweak it to 8192 ?
And what about the first line ?

The bottleneck is indeed your video card. 1GB is too low for fancy graphics stuff.

ReservedMemorySizeMb: After all I've learned I would recommend to set this at first only at 256 with that video card. If your game is getting more stable you can try to set it back at 512. If crashes/freezes come back again set it again to 256.

VideoMemorySizeMb: As the name already says it is NOT the amount of RAM you have. It's about how many VRAM your GPU has. So the information you got is wrong. But there is a way to use some of your RAM. Take a look at this quote is from the ENB forum:

However, if you set it to a higher amount, the game will then be able to use some of your system memory as VRAM. RAM isn't usually as fast as VRAM but more is always better. The formula you've seen go around is for 64-bit OS's and is

VRAM+RAM-2048=VideoMemorySizeMb (maxes out at 10240). According to Boris most recent information, the limit for that setting is still 10240. You can set it higher, and it will show higher, but ENB will not use more than 10GB,

regardless of what that shows. This formula is for a 64-bit OS running at least 8GB of VRAM.

So in your case you can try to set it to 7168 IF you have a 64bit Windows version. But I would not really recommend it since your GPU is too weak. I would stick with the pure value of your graphics card and set it to 1024.

Edited by Novem99

The bottleneck is indeed your video card. 1GB is too low for fancy graphics stuff.

ReservedMemorySizeMb: After all I've learned I would recommend to set this at first only at 256 with that video card. If your game is getting more stable you can try to set it back at 512. If crashes/freezes come back again set it again to 256.

VideoMemorySizeMb: As the name already says it is NOT the amount of RAM you have. It's about how many VRAM your GPU has. So the information you got is wrong. But there is a way to use some of your RAM. Take a look at this quote is from the ENB forum:

However, if you set it to a higher amount, the game will then be able to use some of your system memory as VRAM. RAM isn't usually as fast as VRAM but more is always better. The formula you've seen go around is for 64-bit OS's and is

VRAM+RAM-2048=VideoMemorySizeMb (maxes out at 10240). According to Boris most recent information, the limit for that setting is still 10240. You can set it higher, and it will show higher, but ENB will not use more than 10GB,

regardless of what that shows. This formula is for a 64-bit OS running at least 8GB of VRAM.

So in your case you can try to set it to 7168 IF you have a 64bit Windows version. But I would not really recommend it since your GPU is too weak. I would stick with the pure value of your graphics card and set it to 1024.

Thanks for answer.

So ReservedMemorySizeMb is the VRAM value that is not will be used. But i don't understand with the second value. Why so big range ? How this value affect on CPU and game at all ?

About hardware. So, instead of buying SSD, i should look for videocard ? I thought about it, and looked on this card XFX Radeon R9 270 2048MB DDR5 (256bit) (900/5600).

About CPU, is there any AMD proc that whoud really be better than mine ?

Edited by kseon12

You will benefit from a better videocard more than upgrading to an SSD (although an SSD is not bad at all for Skyrim). For a heavy modded Skyrim with ENB and lots of 2k or even 4k textures the R9 270 won't be strong enough in my opinion. I would look at least for a R9 280X if you wanna do that.

is there any AMD proc that whoud really be better than mine ?

I'm not so familiar with AMD CPUs but especially Skyrim benefits from an Intel CPU. There are several Intel CPUs out there that would outperform the Phenom II x4 980. Granted they are also more expensive.

You will benefit from a better videocard more than upgrading to an SSD (although an SSD is not bad at all for Skyrim). For a heavy modded Skyrim with ENB and lots of 2k or even 4k textures the R9 270 won't be strong enough in my opinion. I would look at least for a R9 280X if you wanna do that.

is there any AMD proc that whoud really be better than mine ?

I'm not so familiar with AMD CPUs but especially Skyrim benefits from an Intel CPU. There are several Intel CPUs out there that would outperform the Phenom II x4 980. Granted they are also more expensive.

If i only change card to r9 270 or 280x would it be enough for somehow ? Or from what i suppose to start (SSD, CPU, Video), becouse changing all the system is quite expencive would be

As already stated in my opinion the R9 270 could be a little undersized if you plan to have a heavily graphical modded Skyrim.

But you should definitely get a better video card. If you still have money to spend go for a better CPU and at last go for a SSD. Your RAM is fine as long as you really have a 64bit OS otherwise you can't use more than 4GB RAM out of the 8GB.

Well, for CPU i will need to buy motherboard - so after card it would be problematic :smile:

And the question, a moment ago i tested game with:

ReservedMemorySizeMb=128
VideoMemorySizeMb=6144
And there were not much freezes. Maybe i somehow wrong understand "heavy moded". Here my list of mods(Preview - increase by clicking).
Edited by kseon12

The tweak you are trying to use is for X64 systems that have...at least 8 GB system ram, AND 2 GB + VRAM..to use it properly...

Yes you are Heavily modded...you have a crap ton of mods, many that are taxing on a system. Way to many for a 1 GB video card. With , Reqiuem , 3dNPC, SOS , among others, you are lucky the game even loads...lol

You need at least a 3 GB GPU that has a 384 BIT memory interface.

Edited by camaro_69_327

The tweak you are trying to use is for X64 systems that have...at least 8 GB system ram, AND 2 GB + VRAM..to use it properly...

Yes you are Heavily modded...you have a crap ton of mods, many that are taxing on a system. Way to many for a 1 GB video card. With , Reqiuem , 3dNPC, SOS , among others, you are lucky the game even loads...lol

You need at least a 3 GB GPU that has a 384 BIT memory interface.

Systen is x64.

Well It's not even load, i can play(but i can see you, freeze :) ). Maybe of the first locations (i don't play for too long), or maybe i install something wrong ?

Some intresting thing - in task manager i saw that ENB takes about 1200 Mb, Skyrim itself - 800 Mb and 40% of proc. Maybe am i really done something wrong ?

For begin i thoght about XFX R9 270x, than about XFX R9 280X . But XFX R9 290X is not far from previous by cost...