Why have you become Modder?

BlackerrR

You will have to forgive me for bad English.

Why have you become a modder? Are you shooting for big project or is your goal to make smaller mods? Have you noticed something you don't like in vanilla Oblivion or you couldn't find specific mod on the net so you decide to make your own?

I realy want to hear others' reasons, to see what made you to become one of modders.

I became because I have big project in plans, haven't started yet, but i'll start as soon as possible.

You?

Pretty much no idea. I saw the CS disc with morrowind, just installed it after a while and went on modding,

I don't know if I'd ever have modded if I started playing oblivion instead of morrowind. I probably wouldn't :P.

Well, PES helped a bit too, as I was a frequenter on the planet-sites..but still, blame the morrowind CS-Disc!

My first reason to mod oblivion was simply because I modded already and wanted to do something nice.

I noticed there weren't much town-mods around so I started creating a town (never released that one.).

And that went on and on......and on. :smile:.

Probably just a hobby like any other. The game provides a playground of sorts. Did you ever play with LEGOs when you where young? This is the same for me.

I don't really care about consistency with canon or about the vanilla game itself. But I like doing my own thing with the tools and possibilities the game (and the community) provides. :smile:

My first TES mod was actually a cheat mod for Morrowind because I didn't want to keep using the console every time. It was a ring that offered high health and magic recovery, and added several spell to the player which provided even more useful stuff. Then, just because I was sick of having to run everywhere in that dang game, I made a house mod which had doors that led to all parts of that world. I had made a few versions of this mod, getting a little larger and more complicated, even trying to add in shops and a small town at one point. But eventually lost interest.

With Oblivion, I started off much the same way, making a few cheat items, but dove right into the AI and scripting stuff. Instead of working on a house mod, I tried adding more NPCs to the world who had a bit more of a dynamic element to them. Eventually I lost interest in that mod, but continued picking up more and more skills by creating small mods just to test a concept; summoning spells, clones, companions, some worldspaces, ect. The project I'm working on now started as a mod to create a large city full of NPCs and shops as a practice for worldbuilding and questmaking, but quickly developed into something much more epic without losing anything in the process. It's larger, and more challenging, but also something far more meaningful than just another "large city" mod. I still focus mostly on the scripting and AI stuff, but have at times had to do pretty much every other job as well.

Because

I cant think of any reasons

Ok you just made me give up modding

Just kidding

But seriously, I have no single reason to be modding o_O

I started modding because I downloaded a mod that didn't work. I just loved the idea behind the mod and really really wanted it to work.

Then I continued modding because I would download mods or play vanilla Oblivion quests and think, "Golly, it should have been more fun than this. Maybe I can do better."

I try to make small mods, because any mod a person makes has the tendency to grow, and it could end up quite huge.

It is pretty nice to hear other modders about their reasons for mods. I see different views of modding and each of you said something different.

Me too started with small mods, in my mods "collection" i have one simple (and my first attempt to make mod) mod that fixes, changes or whatever dozens of stuff, but i won't upload it because, as far as I see, it'd conflict with dozens of mods. :confused: After that, I decided to realy try my potential for modding, and I think I've proved it. I made a house mod (Mansion of Cyrodiil's Champion) which included all sort of objects, dialogues, NPCs, AI, few scripts, spells etc...which made to learn basic stuff. I learned what a faction is, where to use it, why it exsist and I can say same thing about AI packages and so on...But I was suprised when I found out that I KNOW how to make script from scratch, without coping Bethesda's scripts. It made me proud and EVERY newbie in CS should know that scripts are NOT so hard and boring thing to do, it took me little time to say "aha, I got it!"

For me, it is boring to place items in NPCs inventory, aaah, it's just killing me, seriously! :tongue: