Why have you become Modder?

BlackerrR

I've just always loved tinkering with stuff and finding out how it works, From Legos, to appliances, cars, electronics, it's all a fun and fascinating experience for me. So when I found out that I could create things from scratch and then put them into a game and let my character use them... it was like Christmas morning.

I downloaded a few mods for Oblivion, but the first mod I ever made was a house mod for Morrowind. I never uploaded it but it's a vampires estate in Molag Mar. I incorporated and tweaked an alchemy sorter script as well as some skeletal mannequins from other mods. It was a lot of fun and added a personal touch to my game. Since then it's just become addictive. I can't stop modding! HELP!

-Razorpony

Because I'm a selfish git.

No, seriously, I am.

I started modding because I wanted my game to work with every mod I wanted. When I found I had a conflict or even if something just looked a little wrong, I fixed it. If I couldn't fix it it went in the bin, or on the backburner whilst I went off and made myself either the same thing, but better (in my own, not so very humble opinion of course) or taught myself how to fix it.

I'm also an eternal twink and an almost ethereal perfectionist. Which is why I've never released anything, and why its difficult for me to really say I ever willl. Even the released mods that I've d/led and merged I consider to be works in progress. I've got some stuff I shared with my brother, that he at least seems to like, and I've just got my housemate into modding things, though he's only got a rather poor lappy so most of the stuff I use would likely reduce his lappy to ash.

And last but not least, because I'm greedy. If its available I want it. I'll try pretty much everything once. I always check the recent uploads pages on the Nexus a couple of times a week, I've been through the custom races category about 5 times and I've just finished going through the entire (Yepo... all of it) clothing category and I'm currently going through all the armors. Basically for my "Cyrodil Nexusized" project... if there was ever liable to be a mod I released, that would almost certainly be it, however, due mostly to the fact that getting all the permissions for the mods it will contain when its done is pretty much impossible, but also partly to the fact it'd be an upload the size of Bill Gate's house, and will positely throttle any machine not quite as capable as mine, thats real unlikely to even see my brothers PC, let alone a download server.

As I said, I'm a selfish git. :D

Jenrai

Because I'm a selfish git.

No, seriously, I am.

I started modding because I wanted my game to work with every mod I wanted. When I found I had a conflict or even if something just looked a little wrong, I fixed it. If I couldn't fix it it went in the bin, or on the backburner whilst I went off and made myself either the same thing, but better (in my own, not so very humble opinion of course) or taught myself how to fix it.

I'm also an eternal twink and an almost ethereal perfectionist. Which is why I've never released anything, and why its difficult for me to really say I ever willl. Even the released mods that I've d/led and merged I consider to be works in progress. I've got some stuff I shared with my brother, that he at least seems to like, and I've just got my housemate into modding things, though he's only got a rather poor lappy so most of the stuff I use would likely reduce his lappy to ash.

And last but not least, because I'm greedy. If its available I want it. I'll try pretty much everything once. I always check the recent uploads pages on the Nexus a couple of times a week, I've been through the custom races category about 5 times and I've just finished going through the entire (Yepo... all of it) clothing category and I'm currently going through all the armors. Basically for my "Cyrodil Nexusized" project... if there was ever liable to be a mod I released, that would almost certainly be it, however, due mostly to the fact that getting all the permissions for the mods it will contain when its done is pretty much impossible, but also partly to the fact it'd be an upload the size of Bill Gate's house, and will positely throttle any machine not quite as capable as mine, thats real unlikely to even see my brothers PC, let alone a download server.

As I said, I'm a selfish git. :D

Jenrai

Haha, I'm the same way. I've got tons of mods mish-mashed together for my own personal use. I've got Crowded Cities and Roads NPC's using all of the armours and weapons I download, but can't use at the same time. My own textures on a lot of things, both from scratch, or from a base I downloaded. I've got multiple different _male folders, so I can create NPC's with different fighting animations and movements. So many sweet animation mods, difficult to pass them up. I often just choose bits and pieces of mods, and discard the rest. Not to mention editting every tapestry in the game with beautiful art I find on all over the internet. I do the same with Loading Screens. I've been using a great mod with many extra loading screens for quite some time. I got a little tired of screenshots, though. So I replaced those with art as well.

Examples:

http://shy.jsphr.net/upload/img/ups11915.jpg

http://shy.jsphr.net/upload/img/ups11916.jpg

http://shy.jsphr.net/upload/img/ups11917.jpg

http://shy.jsphr.net/upload/img/ups11918.jpg

http://shy.jsphr.net/upload/img/ups11919.jpg

http://shy.jsphr.net/upload/img/ups11920.jpg

I really started taking an interest in modding because I started getting a guilt complex from downloading so many mods. I felt like I was just taking and taking but not giving anything back so I really wanted to try giving back.

But like another poster wrote-I think my mod is going to conflict with other bigger and better mods from much more experienced modders and I don't see anyone wanting to download my mod if it's going to conflict with those mods. :sad: I am good with decorating. I have a knack for making spaces look nice. But that's been done a dozen times over with exterior beautifications. But that's the only thing I can do right now that I feel comfortable with.

Although my mod is a lot more detail oriented. But because it is so detail oriented I find I'm using up too much Poly or something of that sort. :huh: Because it's making my game run choppy.

I'm almost giving up on modding out of frustration right now. So much time and work and now I find I have to delete a good portion of everything I've done because with other mods-it just uses up too much poly or something I really don't understand but it's what other posters have told me.

So, I'm taking a break.

Going to put it on hold and try something smaller like just decorating the interior of one house instead of the whole village and maybe that'll perk me up and make me feel inspired again.

I hope to someday be able to give back something decent for other people to use. Especially those people who've helped me throughout my mod making learning and to those modders who give so much by sharing their mods.

Because mods dont have everything I want. How many hardcore invasion and war mods do you see out thar? :\ Without just fighting the same creature over and over.

I've already made a mod that took me a few mins of learning and making and its my favorite simply because not many mods are all under the same genre. Some people like adventures, some people like new homes, yadayada, not enough for my favorite genre.

Because mods dont have everything I want. How many hardcore invasion and war mods do you see out thar? :\ Without just fighting the same creature over and over.

I've already made a mod that took me a few mins of learning and making and its my favorite simply because not many mods are all under the same genre. Some people like adventures, some people like new homes, yadayada, not enough for my favorite genre.

You know, I think you'd like my "demolition" game set. See, I have an BAIN installer package I keep laying around with the Enhanced Daedric Invasion mod and the FCOM plugin for it. When I feel like really tearing the place up I load Jenrai Venom (my main) up, that, and set the difficulty slider up to 100%. Madness ensues. Take as many Partners with you as you can. And I still hope you can run REALLY bloomin fast. :D The Daedra that spawns have wiped out Fort Akatosh on my game, on more than one occasion. They don't mess around. heh heh.

As for just battling the same kind of creatures, yeah, that gets on my nerves sometimes too, but FCOM in itself usually takes care of that.

I also get a kick out of spawning a good few dozen bandits and marauders out in the wilderness, then gatecrashing their fight. For either of these though, you'll need a decent rig. The amount of stuff you'd have going on slaughters slower ones.

Jenrai

Because I encounter something in the Oblivion game,which awakened my creative side,and maybe something a bit deeper inside of me,some old wounds,probably.

The reason of my desire to mod,is mostly driven by that 'deeper feeling' I have and completely reflects in the mod I am making,it is all wrapped around it,it is about a second chance,resurrection and seeking for a long lost conscience,fighting against sense of guilt,fighting against bad reputation and blurry interpretations of history.

Despite ruthless nature and strong rules in reality,I do believe that a person or a whole nation,deserves a second chance,and it shouldn't be judged by what 'the books are saying',and to not be left and forgotten over a single mistake,or because of some individuals who would like to go on a different path.

I got no second chance and I probably won't get it never,in reality,but I did found my second chance,here

in Oblivion

Captain Moranda