my first tinkerings at fallout moddng

pob255

Well I'll start off by saying Hi

I've not done much in the way of modding since my quake3 & redfaction modding days

I put off getting fallout3 for a while, as I was a massve fan of the black isle originals and was rather worried what Bethesda might have done to it.

Fallout 3 and borderlands have been the only games I've played since october. ;)

I've been doing doing quite a bit of reading up and trying to find plugis/utilities that will work with my rather old copy of photoshop 5.5 and max 4.2, finally got them both working :)

I'm rather rusty so I'm starting off slow, here's what I've managed so far.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/pob_aka_robg/fallout3/redcoat.jpg

British redcoats fallout 3 style

I noticed how much one of the merc outfits looked like it could be converted with just a simple retexture, which also spured me on to . . .

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/pob_aka_robg/fallout3/dragoon.jpg

still work in progress, a retextureing of the mechanist armour, dragoon power armour, losely based on the household calvary.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/pob_aka_robg/fallout3/smle2mk2.jpg

Based on the "Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield" Number1 mark3, the standard rifle used in the first world war.

I started with the hunting rifle and edited the mesh in max.

This is a render from max but I have got it in game, fully textured and working.

Model still needs a couple of details to be added and a general clean up.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/pob_aka_robg/fallout3/em3.jpg

I've been trying to think of a good weapon to make from scratch, so while look at pictures of guns (I was looking for a good shotgun) I saw a name.

Enfield EM-2, that was all I needed, this was a gun that has had a long and mostly forgotten history, the EM2 I based this on was a later model from the 1950's

The perfect weapon for fallout. :)

The Enfield EM1 and EM2 original development started back in the 1940's, it was being prepaired to go into production in 1960, when the then newly formed NATO decided on a standardised bullet.

The EM2 sadly could not be simply rechambered for the new 7.62mm round or the later 5.56mm and so was scrapped and a new simplified weapon was made, the SA80

The SA80 was based on an M16 mechanism in a bullpup housing, this finally became the L85 used by the british army today.

I've got this model in game and sort of working, sort of because of the issues with it being a bullpup and there being no bullpup animations.

Because of that I've heavly tweeked my original model, shorten the stock and shifted the frame forward, then elongate the front grip&barrle.

Now it fits in the default assault rifle animation/skeleton very well, however I still have the issue of the magazine reloading animation.

Now working on the UVmapping and then I'll be able to make up a texture for it.

A couple of questions,

Has anyone made correctly animated bullpup?

How do I go about adding a reflection/specular map to a model in th GECK?

Thanks all. :smile:

I've still got to figure out what to do about a hat to go with the redcoat outfit, probably have to make one as the best thing I've found so far is the wig.

Also need to figure out how to make a facion/npc's, all part of a mod idea of mine for a new map like a "point lookout" however I realise it's a heck of a lot of work and I'm only just starting to get to know fallout3 modding.

I never played or modded Bethesda's other games.

Yeah looks sweet.

Why would u want to stick to max 4.2 ?

3ds max 2010 is great.

-Ex

well lets see, it's stable, I know it, it works

and to buy a copy of max 2010 costs £3,000

Same goes for photoshop although that's only a couple of hundred pounds.

However 5.5 is the interface I most prefer, although it's also got the massive advantage over the CS series that it's a heck of a lot less bloated and clunky.

When I need to reinstall windows, as I've recently done, all I need to do is copy the photoshop program folder over, make some new shortcuts and it works.

It is just a gun that soooo should be in fallout.

Has anyone made a decent bullpup animation sequence? or any links to tutorials that can get me started on making them?

I've spotted a couple of intrestings things when trinkering with the model in nifscope.

To position the magazine all I needed to do was move the existing assault rifle magazine backwards.

If I move the base NiTriStrips it works, although in game when the reload animation plays the fresh magazine is no longer in the persons hand as they pull it out from the waist.

It still follows the hand movement up into the gun just floating behind the hand.

Looking at the model again I spotted the NiTransformData which contains the poisiton data for each key of the insert/remove magazine animation.

So I reset the NiTriStrips back to it's original position and instead changed the position data of every key of the animation.

Works fine in Nifscope, in game when you first select the gun from your inventary it's correct.

However the moement you reload the magazine jumps back to the original assault rifle position and stays there. :huh:

Any help trying to figure out how the heck Bethesda setup these animations in the first place would be great.