changing npc hair - what went wrong?

Sephnroth

Hi, hope this is the right place for this!

Simply put I wanted to change Lydia's hairstyle - my game has been perfect and it was the only thing bugging me a bit. I did a search, found some tutorials on how to use the CK and it seemed simple so thought why not!

mistake apprently. In game Lydia's hair does not seem to of notably changed, but now her face is darker than the rest of her body - im assuming its reverted to a vanila texture or something (i have around 120 mods installed, including CBBE). So, sad at the failure I removed the plugin I made. Reloaded skyrim and.. her face is still dark and wrong. Absolutely no idea how to fix it.

This is what I did:

Opened CK, hit load, selected skyrim and ApachiiHair and hit ok. Found lydia, opened her up and changed her hair to one I liked and the colour to blonde - looked fine in CK. Hit save, saved it as "DavesLydia" and then ran skrim through steam to check it was loaded under DATA FILES, hit ok, closed launcher, ran BOSS for good measure and then launched game from SKSE. My mod was kept as last one to load in the list.

If I open my DavesLydia plugin in CK then lydia shows in there with the blonde hair I chose. No idea what went wrong or how to fix this texture mess up :( help?

thanks for the quick response! but sadly it has not helped :( I opened my plugin, selected Lydia (housecarlwhiterun) and hit ctrl+f4. That has put a dds and a tga both called 000A2C8E in Data\textures\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\Skyrim.esm\ but loading up the game and shes still got her default hair, its still black not blonde and her face is still dark and grey. do I need to move those exported textures to somewhere else? do I need to somehow despawn and respawn lydia?

Thankyou for your time :)

Are you sure the Lydia from your plugin has the same ID as the vanilla Lydia? Also what mods do you use for Lydia? If you use a standalone mod like Bijin warmaidens for Lydia you can't change her in the creation kit.

Edited by Valkasha

how can I check her ID in game? Although in the CK I havnt done anything by id, just by the name housecarlwhiterun - and it broke the correct npc in game :P

As far as im aware I have no specific mods for Lydia - but I do have Amazing Follower Tweaks which could be doing something? I installed Alternate Actors to try and change NPC faces that way but whenever I try to use it the ingame GUI just disapears :/

Don't use the alternate actors mod, it's bugged as hell.

Anyways, do you use nexus mod manager? Did you put your mod at the bottom of the load order? Do you use the racemenu or enhanced character edit mods?

Anyways if you change lydia in the creation kit, save it as a new ESP and then export her with ctrl+f4 she should be changed and not have a grey face. Try redoing it.

I have disabled alternate anctors mod as i couldnt make it do anything anyway, so thats gone now.

I use no mod manager, I install manually and then use the default data settings to enable and disable and I use BOSS to fix the load order - everything has been fine until I tried to do my own mod. my mod is at the bottom of the list in the skyrim launchers data files window so I presume its being loaded last!

I just deleted my DavesLydia.esm and started again and im still having the same problem. That is, I deleted my mod, ran skyrim, it said stuff was missing when I loaded so I said ok and then I saved fresh to make a clean save. Then I closed skyrim, opened creators kit, hit open and selected the files skyrim.esm, update.esm and apachiihair.esm. I then selected housecarlwhiterun from actors/actor/nord race/female and double clicked to open the settings. I enabled Full Preview, changed her hair to ApachiiHairF28 and changed the hair colour to HairColor03BrightBlonde. I then press ok and now housecarlwhiterun has a * next to the "1" in the count collum. I hit save and it asks me for a name and I type in DavesLydia and save the plugin. I then select housecarlwhiterun and hit ctrl+f4, it asks me if I want to export and I hit yes.

I then loaded the skyrim launcher, went to data files and there at the bottom of the list was "DavesLydia.esp" already ticked, so I press ok and close the launcher. I then ran BOSS which reported no errors. I then launched skyrim by running SKSE, loaded my "clean" save and Lydia is still there with DEFAULT hair (NOT the one I chose), her hair is black not blonde and her face is darker than the rest of her body. At a complete loss :(

After exporting with ctrl + f4, did it give you the *done* pop up?

Also BOSS is outdated and might very well put your mod above the apachii sky hair instead of below it where it should be. Try not using it or check whether your mod is still at the bottom after using it, if not, place it back at the bottom. If apachii skyhair doesn't load before your mod then that is probably the problem.

Yup I get the "Done" message box. I have just gone to appdata/local/skyrim/ and checked plugins.txt and loadorder.txt and DavesLydia.esp is the very last one in both of them so should be fine as I understand things.. completely confused as to whats going on :/

As a final thing I will post here the entire contents of plugins.txt incase you can see something obvious that i've missed. I wont bother with loadorder.txt - it has additional plugins that are deactivated because they caused CTD.

ApachiiHair.esm
SexLab.esm
TERAArmors.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
Brawl Bugs CE.esp
lightplacement.esp
better dynamic snow.esp
splashofrain.esp
loud waterfalls.esp
brightertorches.esp
realrain.esp
enhancedlightingforrealisticlighting.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
enhanced soundtrack 01.esp
enhanced soundtrack 02.esp
1k_dds_nif_vurts-flora-overhaul.esp
calientevanillaarmor - banditpack curvy.esp
detailed rugs.esp
staticmeshimprovementmod.esp
staticmeshimprovementmod-part2.esp
staticmeshimprovementmod-part3.esp
prometheus_beastskeletons.esp
better embers.esp
bigger and boulder.esp
enhanceddistantterrain.esp
hdplants+herbs.esp
hqsnow.esp
improvedfishbasic.esp
moss rocks.esp
real glaciers v2.esp
skyrimlive.esp
wildhorses.esp
footprints.esp
SkyUI.esp
almalexia regalia.esp
angelicarmor.esp
asharaprinceofthewoods.esp
daedriccorset.esp
dhuntress.esp
elven archer armor.esp
Futa equippable.esp
galliaarmor.esp
huntressarmor.esp
prvti_heavyarmory.esp
soularmor_1.0.esp
soul armor 2.esp
soul armor 2 heavy.esp
ts_fetishpantyhoseoutfits.esp
ts_slickarmour.esp
viceroyinquisitor.esp
yukikaze.esp
ancient watchtowers.esp
bettercitiesjarlshouses.esp
bettercitiesdocksolitude.esp
betterdawnstar.esp
bettermarkarthexterieur.esp
betterwinterhold.esp
Breezehome_Fully_Upgradable_NoDLC.esp
BFU_whiterunenhanced.esp
tos_granitehall.esp
markarth_plus.esp
Sweet&Sexy Lingerie.esp
thundersnow1.esp
vallanstead.esp
Yuri The Elder Trainer.esp
female mannequins.esp
female mannequins in homes.esp
bigger trees -falkreath.esp
guard dialogue overhaul.esp
ImmersiveFP.esp
matsoimmersivesun.esp
openfaceguardhelmets.esp
ruins clutter improvement hd.esp
SexLab Romance.esp
SexLab Submit.esp
unreadbooksglow.esp
enhanced_whiterun.esp
riverwoodenhancedplugin.esp
taveriften.esp
tavesolitude.esp
tavewindhelm.esp
tos_amber_guard.esp
tos_laintardale.esp
townsandcitiesenhanced.esp
gkbforest.esp
tavefalkreath.esp
sos - the dungeons.esp
sos - the wilds.esp
sos - civilization.esp
FNISspells.esp
More Hair Colors Vanilla.esp
theeyesofbeauty.esp
race+.esp
arganna the belle argis.esp
better dogs by bellyache - vigilance husky.esp
delphine.esp
kathfollower.esp
modruby.esp
saadia.esp
sophitiafollower.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
dd - realistic ragdoll force - realistic.esp
water.esp
mrpmap.esp
susan.esp
fallentreebridges.esp
staticmeshimprovementmod-part5.esp
staticmeshimprovementmod-part6.esp
better hunting prices.esp
immersive sounds - footsteps.esp
bl - tundra revamped.esp
argonianaleretexture.esp
keki pastel hair colors 2.esp
rrhair2.esp
LovelyHairstylesCE.esp
Tera Armor Level List.esp
FNISSexyMove.esp
staticmeshimprovementmod-part4.esp
tundra cottage.esp
DavesLydia.esp

its a right pain this is taking so long to make work because actually making the plugin took only a couple of minutes, i was very impressed with CK!

Yeah CK is a great tool, however apachii is a bit weird with it. On the apachii mod page the author describes how he edited Lydia step by step, try following that. Otherwise you can make a copy of Lydia in the creation kit, give it a slightly different name and a different ID and then simply spawn it ingame with the console. (help lydia then player.placeatme idofnewlydiajusttrythemalltoseeifitsthere)

If that doesn't work I have no idea, it should work.