CTD help

ddejohn

Game launches fine from SKSE loader, and through Steam. When at main menu, trying to load a previous save I get a CTD as soon as I hit the "enter" key to load the game.

Desktop:

i5 4670 3.4-3.8Ghz

GTX 770 2GB

8GB DDR3 1600

100GB free space

Game is in the standard Steam location. Latest version. No DLC. Using latest NMM, SKSE, BOSS, and LOOT.

Before I get to the BOSS log, some additional info: last time I played Skyrim was in December. I deleted the game from my computer, and have since installed Windows 8.1. Before deleting the game from my computer (back in December), I copied all the game files I had (I had about 65 mods installed at the time), and backed it up on my non-OS drive.

Last night, I downloaded Skyrim from Steam, and copied all my game files from back in December. The game worked fine. When I checked on NMM, most of my mods had been updated in the 8 months since I had downloaded them, so I went ahead and updated all of my mods. That's when the game stopped working correctly. My eye texture wasn't loading, and most of my armor wasn't loading anymore. I was tired and it was late, so I deleted everything with a plan to start over from scratch today.

And that's what I've been doing all day. I downloaded Skyrim from Steam, downloaded SKSE, NMM, BOSS, and LOOT. Downloaded some mods, and launched the game to see that everything was working before continuing to repopulate my game with my old mods. I haven't been able to get past the main menu without CTD (except when starting a new game). Now, I've tried my best to go through my old mod folder on my backup drive, and match all the mods that were items, armor, et cetera, so I wouldn't have to deal with the error when loading a game that some of the items in the save were no longer installed. I did that, but I'm still getting that error, but I don't believe that's cause to crash to desktop when trying to load that save file. I figured that my save file wouldn't be affected by any of the weather or lighting mods I used to use, or the ENB, since that's no longer installed either.

Here's the BOSS log (I see the update.esm message asking to use TES5Edit, but I had that same error message when I last played the game, and the game never CTD'd):

• Skyrim.esm Active Checksum: C665FD56
  • Update.esm Active Checksum: E5B67BDA
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
    • Contains dirty edits: 92 ITM, 3 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Version 2.0.5a Active Checksum: 4A395AFA
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
  • Falskaar.esm Version 1.1.4 Active Checksum: 7889C5B8
  • ApachiiHair.esm Version 1.4 Active Checksum: 783F7167
  • HighResTexturePack01.esp Active Checksum: D596F02A
  • HighResTexturePack02.esp Active Checksum: D596F02A
  • HighResTexturePack03.esp Active Checksum: D596F02A
  • Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp Version 1.1.7 Active Checksum: 3BE2E4A3
  • Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp Active Checksum: 3A253C5D
  • SkyUI.esp Version 4.1 Active Checksum: 9330CAF7
  • MashupUNP.esp Active Checksum: 9055904E
  • WestWindMisfit.esp Active Checksum: 279910DD
  • treehouse.esp Active Checksum: 56C59165
  • Fortify1H-Daggers.esp Active Checksum: D782BEE1
  • dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp Active Checksum: 910FBBF3
    • Note: Ragdolls will conflict with other mods that change the skeleton.nif. Check Custom Skeleton Replacers for compatibly with other skeleton.nif.

I noticed you haven't had any responses,i was wondering if you've tried cleaning the save you're trying to use.

Then there's Realistic Ragdoll make sure you have the right skeleton.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31724/?tab=1

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?

Just tried cleaning my saves to no avail. And I have made sure I am using the correct skeleton. Thanks for the save cleaner tool though. That'll come in handy.

Did you copy your old INI files to? If you are using old INI files then remove them and run Skyrim so new ones are generated. If you still use the old one there could be settings in there that are looking for whatever you had installed before 8.1

Did you take a good look at the mods you updated and any notes by the author? Some mods sometimes require you to start a fresh game after a major update or you have to uninstall the old version first then make a save without it and then install the newer version.

Lastly, you might want to try Mod Organizer instead of the Nexus mod manager to install your mods. It has alot of nice features for installing mods and managing savegames. It also installs mods in a different way and keeps your Data folder clean.

GL

Did you copy your old INI files to? If you are using old INI files then remove them and run Skyrim so new ones are generated. If you still use the old one there could be settings in there that are looking for whatever you had installed before 8.1

Did you take a good look at the mods you updated and any notes by the author? Some mods sometimes require you to start a fresh game after a major update or you have to uninstall the old version first then make a save without it and then install the newer version.

Lastly, you might want to try Mod Organizer instead of the Nexus mod manager to install your mods. It has a lot of nice features for installing mods and managing savegames. It also installs mods in a different way and keeps your Data folder clean.

GL

Well, with the first install (the late night one), I downloaded Skyrim from Steam for the .exe, and then I replaced all of the game files with my old backed up game files from December. The game was working fine until I tried updating some of the mods. That's when I deleted everything and started over from scratch again yesterday.

So now, everything is brand new. I've been going through my list of old mods and installing the latest versions of everything straight from Nexus (not using anything from my backup folder). This is where the issue is with my old save files (which come with the fresh Steam download of the game).

Anyway, I started a new game. And I'm sort of enjoying it, although I'm missing all my awesome equipment. Not sure if it's worth it at this point trying to use my old save game. I really just use Skyrim for exploring at this point since I've done literally everything there is to do in the game.

I'll look into MO, though. Thanks for the tip.

Gilibran is definatly right about Mod Organiser, but there's something else that might be the problem. The other day I got sick of how the mods were all named stupidly inside my data folder, no caps wordsjoinedtogether or seperated-with-these- and it really annoys me (ocd). Anyway I found out the hard way that if you rename them or the name changes at all. The save doesn't recognise the mod any more and results in a CTD. So if by some mericale the mod authors have renamed the mods then there's a good chance that's the perp. Mod Organiser can allow you to manually link up a mod in the load order with a mod in the Skyrim/Data folder so the save knows that, although the names changed it's the correct mod. Just my thoughts on the matter.

MS.

Gilibran is definatly right about Mod Organiser, but there's something else that might be the problem. The other day I got sick of how the mods were all named stupidly inside my data folder, no caps wordsjoinedtogether or seperated-with-these- and it really annoys me (ocd). Anyway I found out the hard way that if you rename them or the name changes at all. The save doesn't recognise the mod any more and results in a CTD. So if by some mericale the mod authors have renamed the mods then there's a good chance that's the perp. Mod Organiser can allow you to manually link up a mod in the load order with a mod in the Skyrim/Data folder so the save knows that, although the names changed it's the correct mod. Just my thoughts on the matter.

MS.

Interesting... I'll have to check that out. I'll backup the current game files, and then replace everything with my old game files tomorrow, using MO this time around, and report back.