Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask how do people make new spells in skyrim. I'm not talking about using the ones already given in CreationKit. I mean, like replacing textures, for example black, green, purple flames instead of red etc. etc.
1.- If there are already tutorials, can you direct me to them?
2.- If not can anyone give leads on how to do it?

Thank you :)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would making an object persistent (by being the target of a package) cause conflicts with other mods that move that object? So if I make a bench in Candlehearth Hall persistent in it's vanilla position, simply by referencing it with a package, will it stay in the vanilla position if my mod is loaded after another mod that moves that object?

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask how do people make new spells in skyrim. I'm not talking about using the ones already given in CreationKit. I mean, like replacing textures, for example black, green, purple flames instead of red etc. etc.

1.- If there are already tutorials, can you direct me to them?

2.- If not can anyone give leads on how to do it?

Thank you :smile:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/773855-changing-the-colours-on-spell-effects/?p=10994206

This is a magic question.

I had foolishly thought that it would be relatively simple to make a magic effect that would grow with the character and always, for instance, calm animals of ten levels or more below the player's. I thought there would be a LevelOffset function, however, I do not see one and now realize I was hopelessly optimistic.

So, my quick question, just to make sure: that needs a script, doesn't it?

I had foolishly thought that it would be relatively simple to make a magic effect that would grow with the character and always, for instance, calm animals of ten levels or more below the player's. I thought there would be a LevelOffset function, however, I do not see one and now realize I was hopelessly optimistic.

Hmm. Well you can reference the player's level with GetLevel, and you can use GetLevel on the target of a MGEF, I believe. So perhaps (with scripting in your MGEF), if the target's level (akTarget.GetLevel()) is less than the player's level by 10 (if akTarget.GetLevel() <= Game.GetPlayer().GetLevel() - 10) then do your stuff.

Hmm. Well you can reference the player's level with GetLevel, and you can use GetLevel on the target of a MGEF, I believe. So perhaps (with scripting in your MGEF), if the target's level (akTarget.GetLevel()) is less than the player's level by 10 (if akTarget.GetLevel() <= Game.GetPlayer().GetLevel() - 10) then do your stuff.

Thanks. And dang. I managed to script one thing, once, by chopping the script from another mod and hacking it together, but that was two years ago and I've forgotten everything. :P I think now is not the time to wade back in; I'll tweak the Bosmer another way.

Thanks. And dang. I managed to script one thing, once, by chopping the script from another mod and hacking it together, but that was two years ago and I've forgotten everything. :tongue: I think now is not the time to wade back in; I'll tweak the Bosmer another way.

I wouldn't bother putting a script on the magic effect. Create a global that will reference the player's level, then put a condition on the magic effect that it only occurs if the SUBJECT has GetLevel < YourGlobal (check the "Use Global" box to select a global to use for comparison). Then create a simple quest that fires through the story manager and updates your global every time the player levels up.

The difference between these two approaches is that using MatthiasSwaag's approach, the magic effect will temporarily be applied until you dispel it. I believe the minimum duration for a magic effect is one second, so the effect would last that long on any target. With my approach the effect would never occur at all.

The only script you would require would be on the quest. It would be basically:

int n = Game.GetPlayer().GetLevel()

MyGlobal.value = n-9

stop()

Put the script in a quest stage set to run on start.

Edited by lofgren

<lots of snipping>

I wouldn't bother putting a script on the magic effect. Create a global that will reference the player's level, then put a condition on the magic effect that it only occurs if the SUBJECT has GetLevel < YourGlobal (check the "Use Global" box to select a global to use for comparison). Then create a simple quest that fires through the story manager and updates your global every time the player levels up.

The difference between these two approaches is that using MatthiasSwaag's approach, the magic effect will temporarily be applied until you dispel it. I believe the minimum duration for a magic effect is one second, so the effect would last that long on any target. With my approach the effect would never occur at all.

The only script you would require would be on the quest. It would be basically:

int n = Game.GetPlayer().GetLevel()

MyGlobal.value = n-9

stop()

Put the script in a quest stage set to run on start.

Wow, you have no idea how much I appreciate your help. You don't even want to know what kind of convoluted steps I was resigning myself to having to do before I posted here... Thank you!

I want to make an AI actor find a piece of body armor or clothing (I don't care where it is, or what; I just want them to go and it get it be it in a container or loose or whatever).

I cannot figure out any way to make the Find procedure do this-- the closest is by using All: Wearable, which makes the NPC get a bunch of other stuff as well-- and I can't get Quest Aliases to find objects that're in containers.

Any suggestions?