After 8hrs of trying, I'm about to give up! CTDs just keep happening!

Helagos

From you log in last 6 lines i suggest game trying to access to quest/questparts that are absent. And method names are starting from "DLC ".

I want to ask you early, but what version of Skyrim you have ? Do you have all DLCs or Legendary Edit. of Skyrim ?

I have the Legendary Edition with the High Resolution Texture Packs installed via Steam. As for what version I'm running, I've tried to figure that out but I'm not sure how to in Steam. I do have the game set to automatically update, so it should be the latest version. Could you tell me how to check my game version through Steam?

If I remember, there is always one file that the validate cache doesn't update - and it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

Ah, ok. I assumed as much since it kept trying, even after a reboot. I just don't get why it's continuing the same behavior after a new install on a completely different drive.

Edited by Helagos

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deselecting ESP's and then trying to go into that same saved game will only cause more troubles.

Try uninstalling all of your mods. Now make a NEW saved game. Don't go to your old one, MAKE a brand new character. If you don't CTD, slowly install a few mods at the time until you find a culprit.

If your new character works fine with the mods you have installed, then your old saved game is borked and un-salvageable. I would recommend using the Saved Game script cleaner tool, but for some reason moderators have hidden the file.

Deselecting ESP's and then trying to go into that same saved game will only cause more troubles.

Try uninstalling all of your mods. Now make a NEW saved game. Don't go to your old one, MAKE a brand new character. If you don't CTD, slowly install a few mods at the time until you find a culprit.

If your new character works fine with the mods you have installed, then your old saved game is borked and un-salvageable. I would recommend using the Saved Game script cleaner tool, but for some reason moderators have hidden the file.

Yeah, I've run into that on a few of my mods. There were suggested mods that are required to go along with them and they were hidden by the mods or by the author themself. I'll give that a try when I get home. I'm honestly not that far into the game as it is anyway, so wiping out the other saves won't be a big deal.

On that note, is there a way to skip the intro scene without installing a mod? It's just rather long and boring after going through it for the umpteenth time.

So, Bethesda responded to my question. I explained the issue and sent them a copy of the most recent Papyrus log I gathered. I've already tried everything they suggested except for the last suggestion about my sound settings(?). Here's a copy of their suggestions.

• Verify Integrity of game cache by right-clicking on it in your Steam library

• Check for updates for your PC's graphics card drivers

• Disable any Mods you may be running

• Run TESV.exe and SkyrimLauncher.exe as Admin or in Compatibility Mode by right-clicking on them and selecting Run as Administrator, or by clicking on Properties and selecting the appropriate Compatibility Mode

• These files can usually be found here: C: Program Files (x86)>Steam>STEAMApps>Common>Skyrim

If the above solutions do not work, please try reducing the quality of your system's sound settings by doing the following:

• Click on the Start menu, then click Control Panel

• In the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound, then Sound

• In the Sound menu, click on the Playback tab, then select your playback device and click Properties

• Finally, click on the Advanced tab and set the default format to 24 bit/ 48 khz

• Save the new settings and load the game to see if it has solved the problem.

I'm not certain how changing the sound settings will help resolve a stack overflow issue, but why not?! lol

I feel like I just got a scripted fix-all response.

Edited by Helagos

I'm not certain how changing the sound settings will help resolve a stack overflow issue, but why not?! lol

You know, that sound system ... :laugh:

If the fles are hidden, that's not a big problem. You can simply google it and find on other resource or even on author's page.

Than you can add this flles to your NMM.

The only thing I can think of, is to allow papyrus to use more RAM.

For me, and I understand this it not "normal" I have...

fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800.0
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000.0
iMinMemoryPageSize=256
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2147483647

... by default. I have Steam cloud turned off, and I don't want to use it.

There is a lot of debate on what to is and is not editable.

Edited by Guest

I haven't been 100% thorough in catching up so if this was mentioned and I missed it please forgive me. The most common causes of CTD's on a PC are the result of memory mismanagement, the so-called 3.1GB cap. There are two tools designed to do away with most of that. Namely Sheson's memory patch and ENBoost by Boris. What I would do is check out the Skyrim Stability Guide in detail and do everything it says, paying particular attention to your enblocal.ini. Then I'd head over to Ewi's ini's and pick an ini for your rig. High is an awesome config but I, myself, can't run Ultra without some unpleasant stuttering. It's for cards like the gtx780 or those thrice blessed folks that can run Skyrim with Crossfire or SLI without getting horrific microstutter. In any case, the memory management within SKSE, the VRAM management within ENBoost, and a properly configured set of ini files (make sure you look over them yourself and adjust accordingly, and no, using ENBoost does not mean you are using an ENB, so tweak accordingly. Don't worry Ewi's instructions (within the inis) are fairly clear.)

I think that's it. Good luck.

Edited by WHITELION1284

You know, that sound system ... :laugh:

If the fles are hidden, that's not a big problem. You can simply google it and find on other resource or even on author's page.

Than you can add this flles to your NMM.

It turns out I had already changed my default hardware settings for my sound card due to an issue with Diablo 3 last year. It's actually set below what they suggested. But I could always tweak it more. As for the hidden files, it's not big deal. I think I'm just going to slim things down and use the Stability guide a few people have suggested. So I've got some reading up to do.

The only thing I can think of, is to allow papyrus to use more RAM.

For me, and I understand this it not "normal" I have...

fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800.0
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000.0
iMinMemoryPageSize=256
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2147483647

... by default. I have Steam cloud turned off, and I don't want to use it.

There is a lot of debate on what to is and is not editable.

I'm not even sure what Steam Cloud is doing for my game? Does it backup my Skyrim saves? Or does it do something else?

I haven't been 100% thorough in catching up so if this was mentioned and I missed it please forgive me. The most common causes of CTD's on a PC are the result of memory mismanagement, the so-called 3.1GB cap. There are two tools designed to do away with most of that. Namely Sheson's memory patch and ENBoost by Boris. What I would do is check out the Skyrim Stability Guide in detail and do everything it says, paying particular attention to your enblocal.ini. Then I'd head over to Ewi's ini's and pick an ini for your rig. High is an awesome config but I, myself, can't run Ultra without some unpleasant stuttering. It's for cards like the gtx780 or those thrice blessed folks that can run Skyrim with Crossfire or SLI without getting horrific microstutter. In any case, the memory management within SKSE, the VRAM management within ENBoost, and a properly configured set of ini files (make sure you look over them yourself and adjust accordingly, and no, using ENBoost does not mean you are using an ENB, so tweak accordingly. Don't worry Ewi's instructions (within the inis) are fairly clear.)

I think that's it. Good luck.

I don't think anyone has directly mentioned the Stability Guide but I've had other friends mention it and I've come across it while searching for info on my issue(s). I think what I'll do is wipe out the game and start over with a fresh install. I'll stick with the core .esm files and add the unofficial patches as well. Then I'll follow the stability guide(s) that I've been pointed to. Once I've confirmed that the game is stable, I'll look into adding a few light mods that will just make the game more enjoyable for me. I honestly just want prettier graphics(environmental and character models). I'm fairly certain that my 660Ti and 550Ti can handle that together. I hardly ever run into any stuttering issues even running on Ultra. Though I will most likely stick with the High settings just for better performance and a lower chance of CTD. Thanks for your suggestions and pointing me in the right direction.

I'll keep you guys up to date on how it goes. Though I won't make much progress until next week due to RL stuff going on over the rest of the week and weekend.

It's not the stability guide, per se, that is likely causing your problems. If what I think is happening is happening then starting over won't help you. You need to get the game to handle memory better, and the stability guide can help you do that. There are two applications, one is SKSE with a proper SKSE.ini (real easy). The other is ENBoost, which requires a little more setup but is eminently worth it. Lastly, you can check out Ewi's cutom inis and allow somebody that actually knows what he's doing to provide you with config files for your game, which by default, is setup to be played unmodded on an XBOX 360 or playstation 3, which tend to have very limited resources and cannot handle anything that adds additional stress to the papyrus engine. Your default configs will crash very quickly after you start installing hi-res texture packs like Apachi hair or Skyrim2k. So sure, start a new game, fail to address the underlying problems, and come back here looking for the same help that you're being offered now when you start crashing again.

(apologies, I'm feeling cranky today)

Edited by WHITELION1284