What do you want in a new overhaul mod?

Arrogancy

Hey folks. After trying out Requiem and SkyRe I found neither was quite what I was looking for, and after making a few patches for Requiem I thought: you know, I might as well do this from the ground up.

So I'm wondering: What things do people like in overhaul mods? What don't you like? What's easy to do? What's hard?

You can take a look at my design document (a giant google spreadsheet) here: https://docs.google....#gid=1497829727 Since it is a google spreadsheet, it'll update as I work on it more, and you can follow along with my work in real time. Fair warning though! It might be a bit messy.

Thanks for reading this far, and I hope you'll share your thoughts!

(A longer version of this post appears in the Mod Request Forum. I wasn't sure which Forum I should have posted this in.)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Requiem and SkyRe are like the two extremes - and don't get me wrong, they're both great. But Requiem is very hardcore and SkyRe is very incompatible/more "fun" I feel like. A balance of the two would be great. Easier said than done, I know.

Also, keep it modular. It allows for much greater compatibility.

Yeah, that's definitely my impression - SkyRe is focused on game mechanics, Requiem on verisimilitude. I think SkyRe is a lot more polished and better-designed, but it lacks the sort of vision that Requiem has. SkyRe is like playing a game; Requiem is like visiting a new world.

A balance of the two is definitely what I'm shooting for - though I'll probably be closer to Requiem than SkyRe. I'm much more interested in the game mechanics serving the atmosphere than the other way around.

Although, unlike Requiem, I am keeping the pickpocket ability that lets you steal people's equipped armor. I did rename it though: it's now called "That's Impossible".

:smile:

Edited by Arrogancy

Yeah, that's definitely my impression - SkyRe is focused on game mechanics, Requiem on verisimilitude. I think SkyRe is a lot more polished and better-designed, but it lacks the sort of vision that Requiem has. SkyRe is like playing a game; Requiem is like visiting a new world.

A balance of the two is definitely what I'm shooting for - though I'll probably be closer to Requiem than SkyRe. I'm much more interested in the game mechanics serving the atmosphere than the other way around.

Although, unlike Requiem, I am keeping the pickpocket ability that lets you steal people's equipped armor. I did rename it though: it's now called "That's Impossible".

:smile:

Well I'd be interested in this sort of overhaul. Just keep in mind it takes a lot of hard work to get anywhere near Requiem or SkyRe, but it definitely pays off.

Ya' know, wouldn't it be interesting to have an overhaul that introduced the old TES classes, but in a new way?

You start out the game as a traveler or freelancer or whatever. Then you decide to do the thieves guild questline. Once you were apart of the thieves guild, you would unlock the thief class. Being in this class gave you boost in certain abilities, as well as a decrease in others.

Think of it like this: A thief would be able to utilize daggers perfectly and would be able to use the maximum damage it can output, but would get a severe damage reduction if wielding any two-handed weapon, regardless of perks. So daggers are A-rank while two-handed are F rank, and vice versa. Thieves would be the only class that should be able to pick locks, especially in higher tiers.

You could also only be one class at a time, but be able to use some of the skills from a class you have experience invested in. (Switch from thief to battlemage).

In other words, a system similar to Bravely Default (a modern spin on a traditional methods). I don't want to cover a whole page, so google its mechanics if you are interested.

Though a system like that would have to be integrated for followers as well.

That seems like a huge amount of work for very little upside.

Alright. So I'm thinking you could base it off of the modules, like in SkyRe. Take a look at each, and see what your take on it would be, and see about implementing it. I personally would like something in between the difficulty level of SkyRe and Requiem, with some new - but more balanced than SkyRe - perks, and some deleveling.

Ya' know, wouldn't it be interesting to have an overhaul that introduced the old TES classes...

We dont need mods for things that are already in our heads.

If you want to play a thief class , just roleplay and NEVER go OoC. Its simple, no mods needed. :)

I dont know where to start....

As for overhauls, i want something that takes away the "arcade hack'n'slay feel". Dont hate me but Skyrim has barely any RPG elements.

Skyrims melee combat feels like unreal tournament...with swords. I love RPGs and i love to play warriors with huge weapons. Skyrim ruined that for me.

Who ever played Dark Souls....knows how a combat system has to play out :).

The crime system also needs a good change. You kill 10 people, pay some gold and its fine? That just nonesene to me. The crime system is so superficial.

My elf mage is pretty much a mass murderer. I should lose my house in Whiterun and also the Thane title. Or even get banned from the whole Whiterun Hold, maybe even more.

The fact the people still act normal after i killed 10 people in the middle of Whiterun just blows my mind. And how the hell do the guards in Winterhold know that the bread in my inventory is stronen?

At the moment i'm playing with SkyRe and so far its okay. I'm playing a mage and it was fine for most parts.

But now i am well geared and got destruction magic up to 120. 95% of all enemies die with just one cast. I play on legendary. This takes away the fun, because i love hard games.

Destruction magic need rebalance and rescaling.

Another thing is Robes vs Light Armor on a mage...there's no need to wear robes.

With light armor my mage has more defence (i can take 2 arrows now), get EXP from wearing light armor (slightly faster leveling), and more exposure protection (Frostfall).

And with Robes...sure there's dreamcloth but the extra stuff from enchanting is not worth the pain.

So far i can only talk about SkyRe and Mages, thats what i play at the moment.

I made my game as hard and curel but also as realistic as possible. But still there are flaws. The dragon AI is just brainless! Archers seem to have aimbots and one shot me. But i rather take 15 tries to clear a bandit camp then just breeze through it.

This is what came up straight in my head...sure thereÄs more but its enough for now.