Fallout 3 Crash Fix Guide

I been trying for days to get Fallout 3 going on my rig and i fixed the Startup CTD by just moving my FO3 install from the Bethesda Softworks folder in my Program files into my Games folder i can't believe i never thought of that. No Uninstall and Re-install Necessary.

Edited by DecrepitRocket

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I been trying for days to get Fallout 3 going on my rig and i fixed the Startup CTD by just moving my FO3 install from the Bethesda Softworks folder in my Program files into my Games folder i can't believe i never thought of that. No Uninstall and Re-install Necessary.

Yes, that will work. However, you will run into a problem later on with some utility programs when they search the registry for the game location and cannot locate the game. The registry entry is made at the time the game is installed. There is no entry made or an entry change when you move the game.

• 9 months later...

Hello...

I have a really weird crash in my game. I had the freezing crash and I fixed it and I was playing the game without any error or crashes for sometime. But after I added some mods to the game, game started to crash on a specific point. If I go out from that location and escape, there will be no problem in fact, but I still want to solve the error.

For this, I have deactivated all of the mods and I made a completely clean save and I have deleted all of the mod files. But error has not fixed. I cannot see what is the problem as long as I cannot see what happens in console. I believed that an animation file or something like that is missing. Or it can be some background programs that windows runs.

Here is the location; Rivet City marketplace or outside of Rivet City (even the fast travel option is not working sometimes.)

Also is there a way to check what is happening in the console on that specific point, please tell me that too.

Thanks for the help. :smile:

I found the same type of thing, that I crash when I get close to a book,,must be a certain type of book,,maybe from a mod that has replaced a texture or the texture could be missing and be the cause of my crash.

So far it has happened in two locations for me, one in a shop where there are some roaches to kill,,not too hard at all,, and the book is near the cash register, below to the right of it, the other is in a old church (hells bells) that is half gone and has a ,,,umm,, book holder/stand and has a shelf in under it and has another book that crashes my game.

I'm going to try other types of book mods to see if the texture can be changed to see if that will fix it ?

• 4 years later...