Creating SI Facegen characters: Tutorial

urrl

Hello and welcome to those interested in creating your own celebrity characters!

I am leaving these instructions mainly I because I do not know how much longer I will continue with this hobby.

I have really enjoyed doing this and encourage anyone who has such a passion as I have to check out this tutorial thread.

What you need:

A paid version of Singular Inversions SI Facegen .....$300...am I crazy???

Free software  Paint.net

Construction Set

A Photoshop like software used for touching up the exported SI Facegen face map, before converting it to a DDS file using Paint.net.

I use Picture It 2000 software to adjust the texture exported from SI Facegen version 3.5.3

Know that I will welcome any advice or tips on my method, as I certainly think it can be improved upon, since some complain of not being able to hear all of the the stock dialogue from their other CM Partners. But this is not only about CM Partners, it also shows how to make a playable celebrity character for Oblivion.

My method begins by first creating a main playable character. I do this because I can manipulate the face better in stock facegen and then use the .esp file with the CM Partner. You are fortunate that I am making a CM Partner of my new character Brad Pitt.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/AshleyT99/BPPortrait.jpg

In CS the first thing I do is click on File/Data then check the Oblivion.esm and then check what ever other mod I need such as a non stock hair style.

I do not set any file as active.

Next, after clicking OK, I make Brad Pitt in CS by creating a duplicate race (You must right click on a preferred stock race, such as the Breton race, then choose Duplicate Race, in order to create one.) which I named Pitt by clicking on the text Data tab re-naming the Name slot as Pitt, and changing the description to something I prefer. If you click on the Face Data tab of your duplicate race you will see the "Head" row. What you need to do now is point your new race to the face texture, which you converted into a .dds file with DDS Converter (free software; just google it) to the place you have put your .dds face file on your computer. If you download one of my main playable characters such as Duncan the Highlander which is found here:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=30184

The folders inside the Data folder will show you where and how to package and place your .dds face files. You should make folders as I did as necessary and put your .dds file inside. Then place it.

Now back to CS; the Head Row. Click on the tab on the right side of the row (the left side is for meshes). Now you can point your mod to the face file by finding it on your computer. My mods path usually is textures/characters/chimera faces and there in the chimera faces folder will be my BradFace2.dds file.

Now your mod will have your SI facegen face instead if the stock face.

Next click "text data" tab and check the box for "Playable"

Also after you are done with assigning the face file, be sure to click on the General Data tab next, to give your race a stock voice. You will see in the male voice race slot the voice contains the word "copy" and your CM partner will have no voice if you use it; so it must be a stock voice unless you somehow create your own, which I do not know how to do.

Now that you have a face and a voice for your main playable character you may want to increase the Base Attributes and skill bonus, but that's up to you; it all is found on the General Data tab.

If you use a hair mod for your character, you should have already checked your hair mod in when you clicked on File/Data. Additional hair is added by clicking on the body data tab. In the origional CS window where File, Edit, View, World, Character row is listed, click on character and choose hair. You can drag the hair you want into the Hair Styles box which is located in the window of the Body Data tab.

Here is the important part of saving your character: If you are using any mods to make you character such as a Hair mod, DO NOT choose File/Save. Your hair mod will be lost. Instead first click on OK to make your mod's window disappear, then click on the OK button of the Hair window you dragged hair tyles from to make that disappear. Next choose File/Tools/Combine Loaded Plugins to name and create your own characters personal .ESP file.

But wait, you are not done. Activate the new characters .esp file, which should now be automatically listed as you start the game, then make a new character. You should be able to choose the new race you just created in stock Facegen. I usually open the game in a 1024x768 window, and having placed a photo of my celebrity to the right of the game window, I can see how to manipulate my character's features.

When you have your playable character the way you want him/her to look then save your game.

Remember that I usually photo shop my exported face maps before converting them to .dds files. I can show you this also if you ask.

Part II

Creating a CM Partner using the face from your newly created playable character.

First be sure to have the CM Partner Mod installed and activated in your game.

In CS go to File/Data and check Oblivion ESM, CM Partners ESM and CM Partners ESP.

In Object Window choose NPC and look for your cmBeth, cmBobo, cmBree partners, then double click on the one you need in order to make your own CM Partner from it. I will choose cmBobo, a male.

I change his ID name from cmBobo to cmBrad, and directly underneath I change the Name to Sir Brad.

I uncheck the Quest Item.

I click on Inventory and add or delete whatever items I need to, dragging items over from the Object window, like clothing and whatever armor or weapons I need.

I click on SpellList tab. I delete cmRestoreHealth to avoid my character from using health spells on himself all the time, since he can only be knocked out temporarily and never killed as long as I have the Essential square checked. I can add spells by dragging them from the Object Window.

I usually choose:

Standard Fire DamageTarget3Journeyman

Standard Frost DamageTarget3Journeyman

Standard Shock DamageTarget3Journeyman

Standard Telekinesis3Journeyman

StandardSummonAtronachFlameJourneyman

To finish click OK on lower left side of window. When asked to create a new form click YES.

To exit CS click File/Save and name you new CM Partner's ESP. I named mine BradCM

Note: you will not be using this CM Partner in the actual game, but you will later learn how to make a usable CM Partner from it.

It's more like a CM dummy partner mod for now.

Open Wrye Bash. Click on Mods tab. Find you new CM partner's file and check it.

Right click on your mod and choose import/face. A new window containing all of your game saves will open. Choose a save from the playable character you created. in my case it gave me the name:

sgkuSirBradd00

Remember the name it gives you, then get out of Wrye Bash, and open CS again.

Check Oblivion ESM, your main playable characters ESP file (in my case it is Pitt2) and your new CM Partner's ESP file and set your CM mod (in my case it is BradCM) as an Active File before clicking OK.

Click "YES To All" if a Warning window pops up.

In Object Window look for your CM Partner and double click on it to open it's window.

In the Race slot choose your playable character's duplicate race.

Click on the Face Advanced tab. Your CM Partner may or may not look much like your playable main character at this point.

Now, in the object window look for that imported face named sgUnkuxxxx000 that you made in Wrye Bash. In my case it was sgUnkuSirBrad00. Double click on it and go to it's Face Advanced tab. It won't look much like your character until you change its race to the same duplicate copy as you did in your CM character's window. Then it should look exactly like your playable character! But how to transfer the face over to your CM Partners window? Simple; in the lower middle of your imported face's window you should see both Copy and Paste tabs. Click only on the Copy tab. Now click on the Paste tab in your CM Partner's window. Your character should look much more like your playable character's face. To get it as perfect as possible, notice the imported face's Brow Ridge-high/low setting is different than your CM partner's setting. In my case the imported face's setting is 3.6000 while my CM Partner's setting is only 2.4500, but if I type the imported face's 3.6000 setting into my CM Partners Brow Ridge-high/low setting and press the enter key on my computer, my CM Partner's window will disappear after the value is entered. If I double click on my CM partner to get it's window back, the values should be pretty much the same, as well as all other values in the list. All you need now pretty much is to adjust hair style, eye color, etc.

When done, press OK in the imported face's window to get out of it.

Press OK in your CM Partner's window to get out of it.

For some reason certain CM beasts and creatures are created and duplicated every time you make a new CM Partner. I mark them for deletion before proceeding further. In Object Window click on Creature and right click on these creatures to mark them for deletion:

cbDog, cbmGoblinSkirmisher, and all other creatures that begin with the letters "cb"

Now we can proceed further.

As usual, do not save, but choose File/Tools/Combine Loaded Plugins.

I choose the name PittCM for the finished CM Partner. Now get out of CS. This time when you open it only check Oblivion ESM and your finished CM Partner (PittCM in my case), but activate your character before clicking OK.

In the Object Window you should see a new Race with the suffix COPY0000.

Click on that race and you should find only one NPC, which is your Cm Partner.

Double click on your partner's name to open his/her window, check his/her looks, stats, etc to make sure the partner is OK, then click OK to get out of the window.

You can place your character in the Oblivion world now. This must be done in order for you to find your CM Partner in the actual game. In the Cell View window double click on the place you want your character to be found. I always choose a building; in my case I will choose Bruma Chapel. Notice in the Cell Window the building appears but you must place it upright, and to do this you must be very careful or it may mess up your game. Left click on an area on the lower left under the building and drag your cursor diagonally up toward the upper right, until a square box is formed that completely encloses the entire building. If the enclosing square touches any part of the building you must try again until you get it right. When you release the cursor all of the cell structures within the building will be highlighted. Next, press the C key on your computer and you will see the building stand upright. If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse you can zoom into the building. Remember all items must remain highlighted throughout this process. If you click on something and the highlight lines disappear you must start over or you may move a part of the building you should not move. Now that you are zoomed into or near the building notice if you press down and hold your scroll button, then move your mouse you can not only zoom but move up and down to different parts of the building. Find a good place in the building for your CM partner to wait for you. and in the Object Window, drag the name of your CM Partner into the view window into the building, Once you release the left mouse button the CM Partner should appear inside the building. Press the F key to station your CM Partner so its feet are on the floor. Notice also that if you right click on the highlighted box your Partner is in, you can turn him/her by dragging to the right or left. In my case all of the highlighted lines in the building have disappeared but I think at this point it is OK.

We must now save and exit CS. If you have any doubts as to whether you moved any sections

of the building in this process, you should exit without saving and start over.

Make sure your CM Partner's ESP file is activated before playing. You should now be able to find your partner.

By the way, here is the finished Brad Pitt CM Partner, still needs a bit of work before uploading.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/AshleyT99/MainPlusCm.jpg

A word on exporting from SI Facegen

Note when you export quite a few files are exported.

You only work with the face tga file. I usually do not choose tga; I change the setting so it exports in tiff. Unfortunately many times photo shopping is necessary because SI Facegen is not designed to match the neck and body line of the game character. The following is my latest redo on Natalie Portman's face file, since I found a better photo of her to work with. This is what Si Facegen gives me:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/AshleyT99/N4.jpg

Notice I cleaned up the forehead in this case quite a bit, below.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/AshleyT99/N3.jpg

Below, notice the brighter cut out from a different face file, a layer, which I will use to surround the face, mostly for a better neck and body line match, as well as to lighten the area where the sides of the face meet the ears. Also the nose cut out from an Angelina Jolie character gives the nostrils much more definition in the finished character.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/AshleyT99/N2.jpg

Next the cut outs are stretched as needed and placed where needed.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/AshleyT99/N1.jpg

Here is the finished character:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/AshleyT99/Amidala2010d.jpg

I usually save as a .bmp file before converting to a .dds file, but I am no expert; you may be better off using a different format or stick with tga instead of tiff in the beginning, I just thought tiff would be better, hearing that some pro cameras use tiff format.

You should however save the face you worked on with a format that keeps the layers as separate elements, as I do, so I can indeed touch up colors if needed, if I find the playable character's face is lacking color, or if I want to borrow an element from another character's face. Some photos just don't have the proper color to begin with. Sometimes I just look for a better photo to work with and try again. It's time consuming and I will never say it is easy, but I can honestly say hours will fly by to those with a passion for it, I know time goes by far too quickly with me when I am working with faces.

Oh man, thank you so much. I'd always wondered how you did those. I'm a fan of some of your works (actually, I like all your works but I don't necessarily like the artists themselves). I particularly love Annabelle Lee.

This is pretty complicated, but surprisingly not as complicated as I thought it would be. I now just need SI. It might be a while until I get it though, since I'm saving up for a lot of things... But still, thanks for the detailed tutorial.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Ressurection here, but I'm quite stuck... How do you export the face as a texture map? I can only save a shot of the whole head, or as a file I cant use due to not owning any of the software. I have the things you recommended in the tutorial. I just can't figure out how to export it as a texture map and not just a screenshot of the viewport.

I had facegen for a long time, but everything turned out too low-res for my tastes. Stubble and beards looked like smears. :c

The direct approach of taking a large image of the face is much nicer, but a bit more difficult for a novice.

Hi Urrl - great tutorial.

You obviously know your way around the whole process, so can you answer me this - why you need to make a new playable race to put this face onto a npc - wouldn't a combination of the techniques used in TNR and NPC Tex Tweak allow you to put the face onto (say) an imperial? Or are there other problems?

• 1 month later...

Ressurection here, but I'm quite stuck... How do you export the face as a texture map? I can only save a shot of the whole head, or as a file I cant use due to not owning any of the software. I have the things you recommended in the tutorial. I just can't figure out how to export it as a texture map and not just a screenshot of the viewport.

It's not immediately obvious since there isn't a texture specific option. You go to File- > Export and It will first bring up a window to save the mesh of the face you made, you can just leave it on obj and name it whatever (you wont need it). Once you've done that it will ask what type of image format to use for the textures (jpg,tga,bmp etc). After you choose that it will export the mesh and the texture maps to wherever you selected.

I just wish there was a way to use the actual mesh that FaceGen creates as well. They generally look better than what I come up with manually.

You obviously know your way around the whole process, so can you answer me this - why you need to make a new playable race to put this face onto a npc - wouldn't a combination of the techniques used in TNR and NPC Tex Tweak allow you to put the face onto (say) an imperial? Or are there other problems?

Because each race in the game shares a single texture set. Not a separate one for each character. If you didn't make a new race for your character you would have to switch the texture of one of the existing races, which would mean every character and noc in the game of that race would have their textures switched to your new one as well.

Because each race in the game shares a single texture set. Not a separate one for each character. If you didn't make a new race for your character you would have to switch the texture of one of the existing races, which would mean every character and noc in the game of that race would have their textures switched to your new one as well.

You missed the point of npc Tex Tweak. I quote...

"It allows you to create and use a unique texture for every NPC in the game by using a simple OBSE plug-in. At the moment it only works with OBSE version 12 and Oblivion version 1.2.0.416." ... except it probably works with later versions of OBSE too

Edited by MarkInMKUK