Enhance the vanilla experience?

ZaySk

Hey guys, so Skyrim was the game that introduced me to the Elder Scrolls games, so I've never played Oblivion. I tried to play it on 360 but just couldn't do it after playing Skyrim first, but now that I have a nice gaming rig I'd like to play through this game. I'm NOT new to modding, I have a HUGE load order for Fallout:New Vegas and a relatively big load order for Skyrim, so I know how to install all different kinds of mods, manually or through a mod manager.

Which brings me to my question, since I've never played Oblivion before, what mods should I use to enhance the vanilla experience? It was easy to choose mods for Fallout and Skyrim because I played through the vanilla games countless times in my 360 days. I'd like as many high quality texture mods as possible, along with anything else that will improve my gameplay experience.

My system specs -

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz

GPU - MSI GTX 770 2GB

RAM - 16GB 1866MHz

256 GB SSD

To once again emphasize it, I'd prefer to save the big overhaul mods for future playthroughs, I'd like mods that will enhance the vanilla experience.

Thanks guys!

Qarls redimized for world textures, bomrets for shivering isles, detailed terrain, cl tools and clutter, those will hit most textures. To make the guilds better, mages guild quests, fighters guild quests, guild advancement. Those make sure a novice can't be in charge. If you like to craft items, craftybits. It's real time crafting and cooking, not menu based. You actuall make the stuff in fron of yourself. Add to that, a bloody mess. Adds blood from fights, if you use the bloody fights plugin. With craftybits, you get bloody from skinning animals. I also use basic primary needs, hunger, thirst, sleep. Basic physical activities, more realism. Elz realistic gravity and Sm encumberance and fatigue. I didn't like how you can run almost forever. Theres also basic personal hygiene, you need to bath and use a toilet. The toilet can be optional. If you don't want the toilet at all, but like the idea of bathing, theres the Bathing mod from antistar. I don't add non vanilla armors. The armors and weapons you make with craftybits can be better than vanilla. Homemade is usually better, lol. Hope this helps.

also, I'm not sure how diseases are in Skyrim, but they're a joke in oblivion. Vector makes them more dangerous, and allows for the PC to get NPC's sick. It works with diseases from other mods as well.

Edited by fienyx

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few mods you should probably check out. Definitely pick up the unofficial patches. The leveling in Oblivion creates some real problems - if you want something as close to vanilla as possible, pick up one of the all +5 attribute mods. Personally I prefer the more complete Realistic Leveling & Fundament combo.

Other than that, I'd pick up Qarl's Texture Pack (whichever version your video card can handle) and Bomret's Pack for Shivering Isles. There are a lot of other great texture replacers, but those are the big ones. Slof's Horses are a must-have for me (I don't think its on nexus, though).

Pick up Call Mount to stop your horse from wandering away. Quest Leveller or AULIAS, so you don't need to worry about what order to do the quests in - one is automatic, the other manual. Harvest Flora is great, because it allows you to tell the difference btw ingredients you've gathered and those you haven't. If you have the DLC, SM Plugin Refurbish is a must.

Oblivion Character Overhaul 2 changes the faces to something much better...more in line with Skyrim's.

For the UI, HUD, etc.: DarN UI is most popular and similar to vanilla in look/feel. Dynamic Map and Map Marker Overhaul are fantastic. Since you're familiar with modding, HUD Status Bars will make your HUD be exactly what you want and is completely compatible with all of the above. Finally, you may want a hotkey mod: I use Super Hotkeys, but Hotkey Pro is amazing, as is Enhanced Hotkeys.

I use most of the ones fienyx mentions, but they impact the gameplay a lot more than the ones I've mentioned. If you really like super immersion though, look at that list.

My rule: never use mods for your first playthrough of a game. Exceptions to this for Oblivion I would make for the Unofficial Patches. And Oblivion Character Overhaul 2. Just those two and a good ENB and you are all set.