Bone scaling in animation possible?

Daxner

All my scaling transforms in animations exported to Skyrim from Max through HCT are ignored.

Scaling a bone in skeleton works, that's not an issue here. Just animating it.

I'm using the correct tasks in HCT. I'm having no problem with neither exporting or playing anims, nor anything else related to skeleton or animations whatsoever. No skew warnings. I'ts just that any scaling I do is omitted in Skyrim.

I've tried both Max 2010 + HCT 2010.2 and Max 212 + HCT 2012.3 + hktcnv.

I've tried omitting the spline compression and checking the content of hkaInterleavedUncompressedAnimation and the scaling transform vectors are defined there correctly. I've tried adding Bake Scale task into HCT. Nothing.

There seems to be no problem on Max side or Havok side, just Skyrim.

The child bones are correctly translated, as if the parent was really scaled. But it isn't scaled. F.i. scaling clavicle makes the whole sub-hierarchy elongated, but there's no true geometry scaling. Scaling bones with no children has therefore not even indirect effect. I'm not using a skeleton with exclusive scale-bones, because I'm not really sure it has any meaning animation-wise.

What am I doing wrong? Is it even possible to use scaling transforms in hkx anims in Skyrim?

• 4 weeks later...

*bump*

adding the pics showing what I mean. real-bone-scaling in max vs children-translation-only in skyrim

I also realized I never considered NIF data to be a possible source of problem as well. can it be? some NiNode flags needed perhaps?

also, if there's anyone who'd say "hey i made an animation using scaling xforms and it worked correctly", it'll be appreciated as well

• 6 months later...