Asking for Help. Using Blender with Skyrim Nif files

macrads

Hello everyone.

First I must say I’m a complete beginner to modelling meshes and using 3d programs.

My first choice is Blender as it’s free and this is a hobby for me, so I’m really not interested in buying costly 3d applications.

I’ve been reading at all sorts of tutorials for Blender and they are all very useful, but the main difficulty I’ve found is how to import/export Skyrim Nif files to Blender, since all info I’ve found is outdated.

I’ve followed step by step this tutorial (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3790) strictly using the old versions mentioned in the tutorial.

So I’ve the following questions. Is there no new method to import/export Nif’s to Blender?

Is there no new version of Blender Nifskope scripts or other tool that deals with incompatible nodes? Because I always get lots of errors in console and in order to use Blender, half the nodes have to be eliminated in Nifskope before importing to Blender, which is ridiculous.

In short, is there some other method that is not outdated that simplifies importing/exporting nif files to blender, or can you please direct me to a good forum or webpage that can give me technical help?

Thanks to all.

Edited by macrads

Caliente's Bodyslide 2/Outfit Studio includes a nifcleaner program that automates most of it.

I've had it work quite well for some objects, but usually get wicked seams on necks. Bodyslide also includes a texture blender.

Neomonkeus is/was working on updating the scripts according to the Niftools forum. His posts here on Nexus indicates it's still import/export with Blender 2.49 for now.

Some have reported here that you can get an older version of 3dsMax free for a year if you swear an oath that you are a student, or something.

I haven't tried nor read the terms of service. Perhaps someone who has will chime in.

This is a good tutorial as well, but no there is no current updated scripts. http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-creating-skyrim-armor-in-blender-tutorial-series/

Apparently some "modders" (in quotes because when I check their releases its either nothing, or have nothing to do with models at all) look down at those of us who use blender, I dont know about them but I currently do not have time to relearn the whole process atm.

@bcofer: More or less what I understood is that there is indeed a free download version of 3dsmax on their official website for students and teachers, but you must prove (I don't know how) that you are attending one of the schools recoginzed by them.

@nivea: thanks for the link; I didn't know this one. As for the modders who look down on blender users, I don't really care, lucky them if they can get their hands on 3dsmax or whatever 3D program for "free" due to their professional activity, as I said before, for me it's a hobby.

Edited by macrads

• 2 weeks later...

@BCofer - Think that is what he said, I wouldn't take that monkeys word for it though. - niftools.sf.net/wiki/Blender

Same with anything said on the Nexus, wouldn't believe much either, best place for official updates at the moment is the forums and our twitter feed.

Never had time to play with Bodyslide 2/Outfit Studio something. Officially its not that its something Niftools could endorse, as it technically a content porting, even if that is not its purpose, we understand it fills a much needed workflow gap.

That said, the guys who do development on it pop in for a chat every now and then.

This is a good tutorial as well, but no there is no current updated scripts. http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-creating-skyrim-armor-in-blender-tutorial-series/

Apparently some "modders" (in quotes because when I check their releases its either nothing, or have nothing to do with models at all) look down at those of us who use blender, I dont know about them but I currently do not have time to relearn the whole process atm.

@Nivea,- Thanks, exactly what we needed for skin partitions support, just right now, should be......er.....nothing to see here, keep moving along. :D **steals link**