Cleanup - reinstallation?

KonradA

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum and I hope I'm posting in the correct section. I'm fairly new to modding my Skyrim game and the first thing I did was to install mods from the Steam Workshop. Later on I realized that many recommended to install the Nexus Mod Manager and then install all the mods from this website.

Now I noticed that my game reacts a bit odd and that probobly due to the mods I've installed. I'm not sure if I have a lot of mods but they go over a hundred. The mods I have are those that top most of the lists and lots of quest and item mods. The problems with my game now is that my nights aren't dark anymore. My sound reacts odd: the wind is very loud while the music is very quiet (I haven't moved the sound settings). Another thing is that the game often crashes to the desktop.

For this reason I would like to clean up my mods and reinstall everything to get a fresh start. However, I would not like my saves to go corrupt due to this. Is there any risk of it or am I safe? What I wonder is if you have any suggestions or recommendations on how to do this fresh cleanup. Should I reinstall Skyrim, can I restore it to vanilla, keep my mods in the Nexus Mod Manager? As you can see I'm still a rookie but I'm willing to learn and hope that you have some constructive input. Thanks in advance!

The best idea for a rookie! Do a clean re-installation of the game.

Don't use the same savegames, they might be corrupted. After the game re-installation, start a new game.

Please only install the necessary mods. I'm not an expert about loading order...that's why I have only five mods installed.

If you don't know how to deal with a huge list of mods, they'd probably bring you some problems/a lot of problems.

Of course, I'm not saying a person shouldn't install 300 mods. But only experts should know how to do it correctly..

Why is there a risk that my savegame files would be corrupt? Is there no way to fix this? I'd rather not restart a new game since I've come a bit into the story and wouldn't want to do everything all over again.

Which mods do you use?

I've played Skyrim before on PS3 and have done most of the quests. The reason I wanted to start anew on PC is because of all the mods. I'd like the most essential graphic mods installed and then I'd like some follower, quest and item mods along with other improvement mods like sounds of Skyrim.

A fresh reinstallation I can handle. Should I manually delete some folders that the uninstaller will not? Perhaps mod folders or such? Like I said, I really do not wish to start all over again. I'd really appreciate if there was some way to save my savegame files. Thanks!