August holidays, Fileserver to CDN switchover and WYSIWYG editor for descriptions

Dark0ne

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used this website in a while since I've been playing games like Team Fortress 2 or New Vegas (on the Xbox 360), but the CDN servers are working fine for me so far. Thanks for the update, and I hope you have a good rest of your vacation!

In response to post #17937779. #17937849, #17958584 are all replies on the same post.

There must be an element of prioritisation based on file size too.

It took a long time for the last version of Book Covers Skyrim to be scanned and when I updated the mod on the 28th August, the small update file passed quickly but the bigger BSA archives are s till unscanned over two days later.

What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) editor in uploads

Something that's been requested a lot over the years is a decent way to manipulate the BBCode usable in file and image descriptions to make file and image pages look prettier. Lots of mod authors have learnt the code themselves while lots of others have struggled.

We introduced a WYSIWYG to the description fields to help with this. The editor should provide tools to help manipulate your description and show you exactly what it looks like on the page.

It's not been without its bugs, and we know there are still a couple left to squash. If you're really struggling with it/hate it then if you click the "BBCode" button then it'll switch to code-mode, which is basically resetting the form field to how it used to be. No WYSIWYG stuff.

This. Oh my flipping god.

I was seriously excited when I noticed this at the beginning of the month. This is a huge improvement, imo. Learning bbcode isn't difficult and wasn't the issue in my book -- I usually use the BBCode editor in all of my forum posts, because I find it easier.

The problem was that the old editor had no *preview* ability and the field itself was tied to saving the entire "Edit Attributes" page for the mod. Not having any preview ability meant that formatting took substantial guesswork. Picking font colors was annoying, since you couldn't physically see the color against the proper page background. Font sizes seemed to sometimes work and sometimes not. Spacing was unpredictable, depending on whether you were inserting text adjacent to quotes, pictures, spoilers, bulleted lists, etc. My solution was to open my mod homepage in a separate tab and then repeatedly save the edits to activate all the changes. Then refresh the home page tab and see the results. Then re-edit again. Rinse and repeat. Lots and lots of wasted time and effort. In my experience, editors that are strictly BBCode still have a preview ability associated with them so the user can check the formatting before they post.

The overhaul I did to our mod page earlier this month took a _fraction_ of the time it normally does.

*Thank you* Dark0ne.

In response to post #17937779. #17937849, #17958584, #17971554, #17979769 are all replies on the same post.

Only the smaller files have been scanned on my mods too, but none of the 1GB files (of which there are several) as yet.

As I have 2 very large mods at Nexus, I am keen to get these 1GB files virus-checked as I receive a lot of 'broken-download' posts on both mods due to the servers cutting out part-way though downloads, and have done for a very long time now. Although hopefully after all this is done, it will mean less (or no) complaints, which will honestly come as a blessed relief for all concerned.

Fingers crossed that the CDN route wil prove a more reliable download method and end the 'broken file' syndrome that my mods seem to suffer from. Reliability over speed for me, every day of the week. But I'm hoping for both! Earlier posts look promising, so I'm quite optimistic about it all. Edited by NMC