Getting banned for constructive critic

Klabauter88

Even though chances are high I probably will get banned for this question here :D, but why is constructive criticism prohibited on this site? I really don't get it... If I would make a mod or something, I actually would be happy about people giving me some constructive critic, because it sometimes can help to get better at making mods.

When endorsements are the only thing left to look at what people like and what they don't like, it's almost like the site rules encourage people to only make mods for fame instead of actually trying to push the game. It seems really bizarre to me how sensitive many people are here, because that no mod is perfect is clear, anyway, so prohibiting constructive criticism is really beyond me.

People provide their mods here for free, that's clear, but this is no reason to prohibit constructive critic, since it's nothing negative, but actually there to build people up. Just because some people take this too personally is no reason to ban people who actually did nothing wrong.

Edited by Klabauter88

It isn't bannable. However, saying "It's crap." is not constructive..... which is what's been happening more oft than not as of late.

You leave useful, i.e. constructive, criticism (or comment), as allowed in the rules. However, attacking a mod author or other users, or trolling in general, is bannable.

However, if you were banned or blocked for a useful comment (at least, if you feel it was meant to be constructive), then you can appeal your warning or ban notice.

I did not get banned, but I noticed that comments which give anything but praise often quickly get deleted here. I also read in the rules that constructive criticism is prohibited. Constructive critic often can be very subjective, because it often also just comes down to personal tastes, but like I said, just because some people take this too personally and start to gang up on someone, is no reason to prohibit it.

Constructive criticism is not prohibited here (I don't remember any rule going in that direction) it is actually encouraged.

The thing is most people don't know how to do a critic that is constructive. They critic, yes, but they forget to be constructive...

"This sucks" is not constructive, "I'll endorse if you change this and this to your mod" isn't either, "the version of X is better" doesn't help. "I don't like that, change it" won't make the author feel supported.

Maybe we need a tutorial or something to explain how to criticise in a constructive way!

Constructive criticism is welcomed typically on this site and will not get someone banned. However as mod authors are allowed to delete any post in their file threads that they see fit, for any reason, then there will be conflict at times. For moderation purposes, we have a very concise definition of constructive criticism and what is supposed to be posted on file threads in our Terms of Service found here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

If it does not fit this then we moderators may address the posts. Again as I said, mod authors can remove any post from their file thread for any reason and this will not necessarily get anyone banned from the site, though mod authors can also ban someone from their mod.

If you have questions about specific things please contact a moderator or use the Contact Us button at the bottom of the forums. Discussing specific moderation is not allowed in public forums. Discussing something removed by a mod author should also be asked in private for good manners. ~Lisnpuppy

Constructive criticism is welcomed typically on this site and will not get someone banned. However as mod authors are allowed to delete any post in their file threads that they see fit, for any reason, then there will be conflict at times. For moderation purposes, we have a very concise definition of constructive criticism and what is supposed to be posted on file threads in our Terms of Service found here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

If it does not fit this then we moderators may address the posts. Again as I said, mod authors can remove any post from their file thread for any reason and this will not necessarily get anyone banned from the site, though mod authors can also ban someone from their mod.

If you have questions about specific things please contact a moderator or use the Contact Us button at the bottom of the forums. Discussing specific moderation is not allowed in public forums. Discussing something removed by a mod author should also be asked in private for good manners. ~Lisnpuppy

I see.... So, my comment probably just got deleted by the mod author then... Ok, then now I understand this.

I just got confused by this, because I just said what I wished would have been different, and gave reasons for this, and then suddenly everyone got totally defensive and my comment got deleted. I thought a moderator did delete it, but now I understand.

I also read this thread here http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2881-all-newbies-read-this-before-posting/ and to me it appeared very much like every chapter was about rule violations. I thought chapter X was also prohibited, because it really sounds like it. But when it's just an explanation of Constructive critic then that's something different of course. Anyway, thanks for clearing this up. I was just wondering.

Edited by Klabauter88

You should refer to the new and updated Terms of Service that I linked though that description of constructive criticism still can apply. You can also see Dark0ne's original post on the mod author tools here about half way down the original post: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/837208-blog-piece-nexus-moderation-system-overhaul-etiquette-and-ethos/