fed up with library PC's, so I bought a smartphone

hard8

Hello all

I was tired of time limits on using the library's PC, so a week ago I bought a smartphone, a Samsung galaxy S5.

It's been a year or longer since I've had Internet at home or a PC, still won't be playing any PC games any time soon, catching up on credit card debt, hope to have the money to build my dream gaming PC in a few years.

Only having problem's signing into my yahoo email.

Might have been better off buying a cheap laptop (get the replacement/servicing plan since most of these will usually crap out after a few months), and just use the wifi hotspots in places that allow public access... Like community colleges, some public buildings/parks, libraries, most coffee shops, and lots of fast food places. This gives you the ease of a computer screen to access mail and such, while also not needing to worry about expensive data plans, overages, and who might be accessing your phone's history while you check your mail.

A small, laptop just for some web usage and basic applications will only cost you about $200-300 depending on how large of a screen you want, if you want a mouse, and if you need a bag for it (or if you want to just keep it in a backpack). You won't be able to play any modern games on it, but it does make for a reasonable option when times are tight and you're needing to save up for something better.

Just don't abuse those public hotspots or be a dick if someone asks you to move along.

I have unlimited local and long distance call's across Canada, and unlimited Internet and data with windmobile for cheaper then a homephone with Rogers or Bell Canada.

My windmobile bill is under forty Canadian a month.

My windmobile bill is under forty Canadian a month.

Ah... meanwhile for us Americans, you cannot find an unlimited data plan for under $80 a month. Most of the carriers are trying desperately to phase out unlimited plans since they can charge almost the same for restricted plans, charge people more for going over, and have lower costs since they are spending less on handling the bandwidth.

One thing we do have is Unlimited uncapped and untethered internet, we might not have the fastest speeds in the world, but we do have Unlimited data plans to back it up and make it worth while.

While the states youtube they have terrible bandwidth caps and youtube i heard from a friend of mine is being throttled big time.

Edited by Thor.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing reps from places like Rogers/Fido, Bell, etc. like to harp on about with Wind's "unlimited" data package is the speed caps they introduce under their Fair Use Policy - once you hit 5GB, they cut your data speed in half; and once you hit 6GB, they cut it in half again. So once you hit 6GB of data you have a hard time downloading even the simplest of emails.

The thing is though, none of the Big Three here in Canada offer anything close to 5GB of data for anything less than $60/month. And that's just the data plan, saying nothing of the text and calling plans that run about $30 for the average 100 minutes/unlimited texting bundle. With Fido, my wife and I were paying ~75/month each for 6GB of data, 200 minutes, and unlimited texting. That's ~$150 a month for our cell phones.

As far as I'm concerned, unlimited calling and texting across Canada with unlimited data, all for just $35 a month? My cell phone bill is now half what it used to be, and we get more out of it than we did with Fido. I'm more than happy to call that soft 5GB limit "Fair Use".

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad