Does any one use Nexus Mod Manager anymore?

Madcatm2

Doesn't MO make it harder to mod things and customize already installed stuff (like textures)?

Either way I dont really care for MO or NMM all that much, I use NMM to keep tabs on mods that update alot and then use Wrye for my custom replacer mods and mods that do not have good folder structures.

I do it this way because it makes things easier on me a a modder, and I find it best to always know how to install stuff manually its a MUST to know because modders need you to know wtf a data folder is and where to find the stuff in them.

Hand more then a few people ask for help about my mods only to find out they could not help trouble shoot because none of them knew where the .esp was installed, what a texture folder was or that there was even a mesh folder at all.

You need to know the basics before you grow to installers imo.

Doesn't MO make it harder to mod things and customize already installed stuff (like textures)?

Either way I dont really care for MO or NMM all that much, I use NMM to keep tabs on mods that update a lot and then use Wrye for my custom replacer mods and mods that do not have good folder structures.

I do it this way because it makes things easier on me a a modder, and I find it best to always know how to install stuff manually its a MUST to know because modders need you to know wtf a data folder is and where to find the stuff in them.

Hand more then a few people ask for help about my mods only to find out they could not help trouble shoot because none of them knew where the .esp was installed, what a texture folder was or that there was even a mesh folder at all.

You need to know the basics before you grow to installers imo.

When I first started modding (that is, installing mods) I didn't even know the installers existed. Spent two years modding manually, got pretty good at it.

It's fundamentally untrue that manual offers you the most customizability. There is no magic or secrecy involved in MO or NMM. You can review every file they install and edit every detail. The difference is that with MO you can have different profiles, uninstall and reinstall mods at the click of button, overwrite some conflicts with one character and different ones with another character, know exactly what is in every bsa, and wipe your mod folder and start with afresh install with a single click -- and then put everything back exactly the way it was. So far all of the purported advantages of manual installation that have been offered here are based entirely on ignorance and are objectively flat out wrong. Of course you can continue to manually install your mods if that's what you want to do, just know there's no actual benefit to it and in fact significant disadvantage.

Suppose I like to install a mod, then go into the folders and change textures and meshes to my liking. If I do that NMM certainly does not let me know which items I have edited and will overwrite and install over them pretty quickly, and all that work is lost in a button click. Of course I am supposed to backup it all up every time I edit anything to custom folders, but sometimes as I am human I forget.

Wrye tells me which textures have been edited or changed in the window, so I can say oh crap I forgot to back those up or uninstall the mod and keep the changed items, then just reinstall the missing items and not replace my custom stuff.

All I know about MO is what other modders have told me, that its fundamentally harder to edit installed mods.

I am prolly one of the few who edit their mods alot to fit what they want, it seems most people click and play lol.

Suppose I like to install a mod, then go into the folders and change textures and meshes to my liking. If I do that NMM certainly does not let me know which items I have edited and will overwrite and install over them pretty quickly, and all that work is lost in a button click. Of course I am supposed to backup it all up every time I edit anything to custom folders, but sometimes as I am human I forget.

Wrye tells me which textures have been edited or changed in the window, so I can say oh crap I forgot to back those up or uninstall the mod and keep the changed items, then just reinstall the missing items and not replace my custom stuff.

All I know about MO is what other modders have told me, that its fundamentally harder to edit installed mods.

I am prolly one of the few who edit their mods a lot to fit what they want, it seems most people click and play lol.

NMM will overwrite and install over those meshes and textures if you reinstall the mod and click Yes when it asks if you want to overwrite the textures and meshes that you edited… exactly the same as if you reinstalled the mod manually.

The modders who told you that it is harder to edit installed mods with MO are flat out, 100% totally wrong. There's really no other way to put it. In fact you can keep both the edited versions and the original versions around and installed side-by-side. It's far easier to edit installed mods because instead of going into a big messy data folder you can look at just the files that your mod installed. And if you do want to look at all of the data in one folder, it's just one button to do so.

Personally I like to create patches for mods rather than edit them directly, precisely because I don't have to worry about forgetting about something when I update or reinstall the mod. Just install the mod and then install the patch. MO makes that process infinitely easier because I can look at the two versions right next to each other and it tells me exactly what is changed from one to the other.

Manual installs 4me 4ever.

Each their own.

Blind faith one click solutions are great and save time, but those solutions also make users depend on help from others more often.

eg: I used XXXX app to dl the mod and the mod didn't load in my game, what did I wrong? how do I get it going?

So instead of debugging the mod problem, your now debugging XXXX app problem before even getting to the mod.

My logic, the more 3rd party solutions used to install a mod, just adds more to what can go wrong.

I'm also a strong believer of Murphy's Law and Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.