How do you extract files from a PC game disk to use in a 3D animation programme?

Hello, I am new to all this and I am wondering how to take files from my game disk, like 3D models, sets/locations etc and put them onto my computer to use them in a 3D programme (Like Daz 3D) Can anyone help me? Is it even possible? If it is please let me know how to do it.

The main game, at the moment, I would like to get files from is Mass Effect, I'd like to get the character models, locations, weapons, armour, ships etc so I can put them into my 3D software (Daz 3D, previously mentioned) and use them to create mini Mass Effect tributes/movies.
Thank you

• 10 months later...

Old topic, but it might help other people: another solution would be UE Viewer, a wonderful tool by gildor available here: http://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel
You can view all sort of models, textures (including normal and spec maps), uv sets, rigs, animaions, and extract them. It works with almost every Unreal Engine 1/2/3 games, and Gildor also provides a tool for extracting audio from UE games.

3D Ripper DX is also a solution, but it's tricky and requires editing in a 3D package, Max, Maya, or Blender for exemple (I don't know if Daz 3D is capable of doing such things). It only works with DX9 games though, but all DX9 games are supported. If you're smart, you could extract content from emulated games too... (PS1/2, Gamecube, Wii, Dreamcast, N64...)

Some games also have this kind of tools, but it's game specific. For exemple, I was able to unlock the UE3 editor of Mirror's Edge by putting somes files from Unreal Tournament 3 in the ME folder. I had a lot of fun playing around with the editor, learning how things are done by pros. It might work with Mass Effect and other UE games too - some even provide the editor with the game altogether.
Please note that this is considered reverse engenring, and it's illegal.
I learned a lot of things with Mirror's Edge content, but keep in mind that you CANNOT use content from other games in wathever project, be it commercial or not, it's like stealing other artist's work... It's lame, and illegal. You can - and will - get legal issues if you do.

Use theses kind of tools ONLY for educational purpose!

Thank you, all I wish to do this is for educational purposes and just for fun, I don't intend to use the models for anything other than to see all the intricate little working of models and scenes. I think it is good to see how professionals do things, up close and personal with what they have created. I have no intention to use another's work for anything commercial, only to see how I can improve my own 3D skills.

Then it's alright, and imo a very good way of learning. You should consider getting 3ds or maya though, they're free now with a 3 year licence (as a student edition, but it's the full version with updates, unlike cracked versions). Mudbox is free too, in the same maner. Actually the whole Entertainement Suite (3ds, Maya, Softimage, MotionBuilder etc...) is free as student edition. Just type in any school name when they ask it for the download, they won't check, and when your licence expire... Just redo it :smile: Or, you could go for Blender. Free, open source, completely modular, very powerful, it even has functionality that "the two bigs" (3ds & Maya) don't. Plus, it's constantly evolving, and if you need a particular feature, you can add it with an easy to learn programming language, Python, or kindly ask a programmer who might do it for you!
Have fun! :smile:

Edited by TheSleepwalker