Scripting with UDK

wghost81

The idea with DynamicLoadObject looks good. This way is it possible to do without mutators at least when we need to spawn modded child class instead of original parent class.

That sounds pretty nifty. One noob question about getting the game to recognize custom classes though, what's the preferred method? Can I simply drop cooked script files (*.u) in the game folder or do they need to be neatly packaged in a *.upk? In the latter case the *.upk needs to be registered in an *.ini, could that also work for loose script files?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compiled u files are uncooked but have the same structure as upk. I prefer to use them instead of cooked upk packages, because cooking removes all debug information. And I also compile all the packages with debug flag on to get additional logging possibilities.

To get your package in game you need to add it to DefaultEngine.ini Engine.ScriptPackages section to NonNativePackages array. And as we understand it now, you must add it after main game packages.

Note that not me nor Amineri have tested DynamicLoadObject thing. It's just a theory. But if it works, adding your package to ini and loading new class with DynamicLoadObject will be enough to replace parent spawn with its child spawn.

Edited by wghost81