New to Skyrim and addons, need some help.

TrainerGrey43

Just got Skyrim and looking to get addons for it. Problem is, not very tech savy, and don't have a way to extract the files I download from Nexus. Doesn't help that my laptop is slow at times, but that's another problem.

What help I'm asking for is how do I get the addons I download onto my Skyrim file. Already have some from the Steam Workshop, but a lot of these are better. Any help and step by step process would be much appreciated. Thanks for any help.

First things first: forget the steam workshop. There are very few mods there, that aren't on the nexus too and managing mods coming directly via steam is a pain in the back.

And before you even start modding your Skyrim seriously I highly recommend to read up on a few things. Start with this post about the load order and the FAQ, especially the generel section.

There are some other good beginners guides somewhere here, but I can't find them right now. Anyone else has the links? I'll build them in the FAQ as well. For future requsts.

This post -> Only you can Prevent Forest fires by the creator of ETaC, Miss Jennabee, is well written . also pointing new users to a few Gopher vids can help also...

Beginner's Guide to Modding Skyrim : Introduction ...... Get used to using Google,...Search->"Gopher Skyrim" and the top hit should be his Youtube channel ..think at present he has over 1000 vids.

As this is a Laptop :Caution..it is very easy these days to overload a Desktop let alone a laptop. Have you played the game much at all?...i would at this time recommend not adding mods and play the Game Vanilla. At least once! I think everyone should have played the game thru once as vanilla, to really get an appreciation for what the Modders have actually accomplished. This being my 3rd play-thru , still recall that first time thru without any mods..(CK was not released yet) and how different my game is now. That way when something goes wrong you will know the game, and can spot things before they get out of hand.

I recommend MO (Mod Orginizer) as a Mod installer/orginizer. (Gopher has just started a few vids on MO). As a first timer you may want to just use NMM (Nexus Mod Manager). Never used NMM myself, went from using Wrye bash to MO .

EDIT: How to ask for Help <- is another pinned topic here that is good to read , that way if you have a problem you can get the proper help. \\

As a first step i also recommend getting all the UNofficial patches.

Edited by camaro_69_327