the "Master Race" dilemma

Arcadiast

Project cars, And pretty much all next gen games coming out will utilize processes better, but we might need more ram to compensate. 8gb is pushing it.

Direct x 12 and mantle will help bring better cpu utilization.

Edited by Thor.

Crysis was a game that pushed current gen hardware (for when it was released) pretty hard. They made money on it, but, it probably didn't make as much as it would have, had it not been quite so hardware demanding. But then, it may not have been quite as good a game either......

A pretty good selection of folks are still running on 32bit operating systems. They are unable to utilize more than 4gb of ram, and even if you have 20 installed, it will only 'see' about 3.2gb..... It's a limitation of the O/S, and there is no getting around it. When everyone has a 64bit O/S, then games that require large amounts of RAM will actually be viable.

You shouldn't mention Crysis, its a game even today graphics have struggled to match, and that was 7 years ago. You would think after all this time games would have surpassed it by now, but it hasn't. Its sad really.

Edited by Thor.

Crysis was a game that pushed current gen hardware (for when it was released) pretty hard. They made money on it, but, it probably didn't make as much as it would have, had it not been quite so hardware demanding. But then, it may not have been quite as good a game either......

A pretty good selection of folks are still running on 32bit operating systems. They are unable to utilize more than 4gb of ram, and even if you have 20 installed, it will only 'see' about 3.2gb..... It's a limitation of the O/S, and there is no getting around it. When everyone has a 64bit O/S, then games that require large amounts of RAM will actually be viable.

Crysis was indeed one of the last games that pushed even High End Systems but as Thor mentioned, that was roughly 7 Years ago. 7 Years are a very long time in Computer "Timeline". Crysis still looks very good compared to actual Triple AAA Titles, that says a lot.

However, you make a very good point. The decision to develop Games for a majority of Systems can even be considered Gamer friendly because especially with Multiplayer Titles, its a good thing that I dont need a several Thousand Dollar Rig to compete with my friends. The problem is, thats why Game Developers included the Graphics Options in their games. If you had a PC that was not High End then you could tone down the Settings to a degree that allowed you to play it with good framerates, ideally at the cost of some minor details like Shadows or Lighting.

Just for example, they could make a Triple AAA Title that in its max Settings would push the best and most expensive Systems to their absolute Limits but would look better than todays Games even on low, playable Settings. People would not accept that today. They would not say, "alright, right now with my rig I have to play this game on low or medium settings, game still looks good...no problem" but they would say "I paid full price, I want the game to run its best on my machine".

Its a question of mindset really. Would you be ready and willing to wait a couple years until you can get a system that can play that particular Game in full details? Most will not.

There are some Game Creators working with big Publishers who would LOVE to create the best looking games possible but since that would demand to much and they need to make money he will always get the order to tone it down as much as possible. Especially when they plan to release the game on multiple Platforms with varying Hardware Capabilities.

Actually, I think I have to say that this is nobodys fault. Its just how Gaming has evolved and perhaps I am just to old and to much "stuck" on the "glorious old days".

One thing would make me very happy however, if people would learn to communicate in forums like civilized human beings. That alone would help enormously.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO you aren't "PC master race" unless you got a PC that can max out Crysis 3 at 4k resolution and get 60fps. You'd need something of the magnitude of SLI Titan Zs ($3000 a piece) to do that. You'd probably be looking at an $8000 PC. So unless you're rocking that, then you're in no position to be snubbing your nose down at console gamers, and even if you are in that position, you'll still look like an ass for doing it.