OBSE Issue

Greetings. I recently decided to reinstall Oblivion after formatting my hard drive and upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. I had Oblivion heavily modded and working perfectly with Vista, but now I can't even get OBSE to work and I can't figure out why.

The only difference I can think of is Windows 7 and I recently installed Spybot after my computer caught a nasty virus. I've tried disabling Spybot and it doesn't help. And I can't FATHOM that an application would work better on Vista than on 7. I've tried running the obse_loader as administrator, I've tried running it in compatibility mode, I've tried installing it (Oblivion) directly to C:, I've tried turning off my anti-virus and whatnot, I've read through the readme.txt several times and checked the official OBSE website and cannot find a solution. If it helps, I find this .txt in my Oblivion folder after the game fails to launch:

crc = 7934C86C

dll = C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\obse_1_2_416.dll

hookBase = 001D0000

loadLibraryAAddr = 75EC4BC6

Process::InstallHook: waiting for thread = WAIT_TIMEOUT

Couldn't inject dll.

terminating oblivion process

I'm no expert computer tech and this doesn't mean a whole lot to me. But this isn't my first time modding, and I'm sure I've covered all the would-be simple fixes. If anyone has any insight into what my problem might be it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

experimentally delete the oblivion.ini in your game saves area

No effect. The same error message pops up.

Partly shameless self bump. This problem is infuriating. I'm attempting to install FCOM this time around but hell...if OBSE is giving me this much trouble, I might want to just give up.

It looks like your game is installed in the default location. That works fine in XP and for the Vanilla game in Win7. But the UAC that Microsoft introduced with Vista will try to block any changes to programs installed in the 'program files' and 'Program Files (x86) folders. Disabling UAC is not recommended as that leaves a back door open for any virus or spyware that manages to get passed your firewall and antispyware program.

Best solution. uninstall Oblivion completely and reinstall in a different unprotected folder. Most people use C:\Games\Oblivion

If you are not sure about uninstalling, Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to save your mods and save games to be put back in later, or you can leave them out and start over - your choice.

If it helps, I find this .txt in my Oblivion folder after the game fails to launch:

crc = 7934C86C

dll = C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\obse_1_2_416.dll

hookBase = 001D0000

loadLibraryAAddr = 75EC4BC6

Process::InstallHook: waiting for thread = WAIT_TIMEOUT

Couldn't inject dll.

terminating oblivion process

Your computer security (or computer security software) is preventing OBSE from working with Oblivion. It could be caused by your firewall (that's how I've always seen it), or possibly by the built-in Windows 7 UAC security.

Things to check:

1. Your Oblivion is installed somewhere other than c:\Program Files (x86) (the directory C:\Games\Oblivion is commonly used as an alternative).

2. Your Oblivion.exe is set to "Run as Administrator" (the obse_loader.exe should also be set for this).

3. Your firewall... If it comes to this, AS A TEST ONLY, disconnect from the net, turn off your firewall, and see if Oblivion will now work with OBSE. (After this test, turn your firewall back on!) If it does work, you will have to look for the settings in your firewall to have it make an exception for Oblivion/OBSE to run. Each firewall does it differently and calls it differently so this is hard to tell you about from a distance. Some of the things I have seen it called are: "Host Intrusion Protection", "Process Protection", and "Heuristics". In the exceptions section for this, it should allow you to specify the name and path of a file that it will not perform this check on. Tell it to leave Oblivion.exe alone (also the construction set if you want to use that program as well).

In general, Dll injection is a common and very useful vector for malware, but in this specific case, we know that we can allow OBSE to be injected into Oblivion because we want it to work properly with our mods. :biggrin:

Ok, I've tried doing the clean reinstall and that didn't solve the issue.

I tried disabling the security on my computer (Windows Firewall, AVG Anti-Virus, Spotbot, UAC) and it won't work.

I've tried installing it to the alternative directory (C:\Games\Oblivion) and it still won't work (though that was never a problem for me in the first place).

Every time its the same damn error message; "Couldn't inject dll." Two additional things I've noticed....rarely, RARELY it will work if I launch the game through OBMM. Never directly from obse_loader.exe, however. I also found an obse.txt in addition to the obse_loader.txt I mentioned in my original post. It reads:

"OBSE: initialize (version = 18.6 010201A0)

oblivion root = C:\Games\Oblivion\

plugin directory = C:\Games\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\

patched

OBSE: deinitialize"

Looking at my Data folder I don't see a subfolder for OBSE. Either its hidden or that could be the problem. I don't know, I'm completely out of ideas here. It simply refuses to work.

EDIT: Looking at the Data folder with hidden items shown, there is no OBSE subfolder. Again, don't know if that matters or not. Just trying to think of anything.

EDIT: Looking at the Data folder with hidden items shown, there is no OBSE subfolder. Again, don't know if that matters or not. Just trying to think of anything.

Interesting

we may be on to something here

1 - who installed OBSE for you

2 - we know you didn't do it yourself, because it doesn't install to the Data folder and you would remember that

3 - something is happening, therefore its not installed into the data folder by mistake - as you have found out

4 - who re-installed OBSE for you - you re-installed and you are still getting the injection error - or are you re-reading the same old error file

5 - just for fun, are you using the Direct2drive version of the game - would explain quite alot

6 - being thorough - are you using the Steam version of the game

Interesting

we may be on to something here

1 - who installed OBSE for you

2 - we know you didn't do it yourself, because it doesn't install to the Data folder and you would remember that

3 - something is happening, therefore its not installed into the data folder by mistake - as you have found out

4 - who re-installed OBSE for you - you re-installed and you are still getting the injection error - or are you re-reading the same old error file

5 - just for fun, are you using the Direct2drive version of the game - would explain quite alot

6 - being thorough - are you using the Steam version of the game

I installed it. Installed Oblivion and copied the three little OBSE files all on my own. No, those three files are not in the Data folder, they are in the Oblivion folder. And no, I'm not re-reading the same old error file; attempting to run obse_loader.exe right now as I type this still spits back "Couldn't inject dll."

No, I'm not using the D2D or Steam version of the game. 2 disk GOTY Edition, fully patched of course. I've done this before. I had it working just fine when I still had Vista. Its only now that problems arise. I simply don't remember if there was an OBSE subfolder or not...its been months since I saw my previously modded Oblivion folder.

OBSE installation does not create the OBSE subfolders in Data - whenever you install a obse plugin (like Elys) for the first time, you have to create the subfolders yourself to put the plugin dll in for obse to find.

I installed it. Installed Oblivion and copied the three little OBSE files all on my own. No, those three files are not in the Data folder, they are in the Oblivion folder. And no, I'm not re-reading the same old error file; attempting to run obse_loader.exe right now as I type this still spits back "Couldn't inject dll."

No, I'm not using the D2D or Steam version of the game. 2 disk GOTY Edition, fully patched of course. I've done this before. I had it working just fine when I still had Vista. Its only now that problems arise. I simply don't remember if there was an OBSE subfolder or not...its been months since I saw my previously modded Oblivion folder.

As an "it might help" step, take a look at the properties for each of the obse dlls that you have (right click on each of the files from the file explorer window). At the bottom of the General page, look for a "This file blocked..." message and an Unblock button. If you see it, unblock the files.