Steam and OBSE.

Chaotic16

Just a simple question. How do I know if OBSE is working with the Steam version of this game? I mean, when I install it accordingly, it still opens up the Oblivion Launcher instead of just Oblivion itself. But supposedly according to the readme, it's still using OBSE. But my mods that were working fine with my physical copy of this game aren't now and everything is screwy. I've done a fresh reinstall a trillion times and some mods don't work the way they should.

So the only thing I can think of is that OBSE is not running. How do I confirm this?

As a side question, is there any way to make it so Oblivion does not launch through Steam? I've also bought Guild Wars through Steam and noticed that Guild Wars does not require Steam to be running to play. So is there a way to do that with Oblivion? Thanks muchly.

Just a simple question. How do I know if OBSE is working with the Steam version of this game? I mean, when I install it accordingly, it still opens up the Oblivion Launcher instead of just Oblivion itself. But supposedly according to the readme, it's still using OBSE. But my mods that were working fine with my physical copy of this game aren't now and everything is screwy. I've done a fresh reinstall a trillion times and some mods don't work the way they should.

So the only thing I can think of is that OBSE is not running. How do I confirm this?

As a side question, is there any way to make it so Oblivion does not launch through Steam? I've also bought Guild Wars through Steam and noticed that Guild Wars does not require Steam to be running to play. So is there a way to do that with Oblivion? Thanks muchly.

If you want to confirm OBSE is actually working, install some small mod that requires OBSE, like 'Keychain' and see if it works. Another way to confirm, without using mod is.. using some OBSE function in console mode; for example, enter the console mode, click on any non-essential NPC, type 'SetRefEssential 1', then see if the NPC becomes essential(If OBSE is not working, you will see error message).

If you want to confirm OBSE is actually working, install some small mod that requires OBSE, like 'Keychain' and see if it works. Another way to confirm, without using mod is.. using some OBSE function in console mode; for example, enter the console mode, click on any non-essential NPC, type 'SetRefEssential 1', then see if the NPC becomes essential(If OBSE is not working, you will see error message).

K, I opened console, clicked an NPC (made sure he was non-essential / killable) and entered that in. The console gave me the message:

Script command "SetRefEssential" not found.

That the error you were talking about?

EDIT: Yeah, it definitely wasn't working. But I found a thread on ... somewhere, where I could replace the obse_loader.exe with one that was compatible with Steam. I guess, regardless of what the obse readme says to install it for Steam users, the standard obse_loader.exe you download from places like here are incompatible with Steam.

(For anyone who is interested, I grabbed it from here)

The official OBSE download comes with a steam loader. Also an easy way to find out if it is working is to check your save files, OBSE creates a second save for any game that was saved while it was running. You will have 2 an .ess and a .obse file...

The one from silverlock works fine for me....

Are you sure you have followed the instructions correctly?

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion". (It's C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion for me.)

2. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

The one from silverlock works fine for me....

Are you sure you have followed the instructions correctly?

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion". (It's C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion for me.)

2. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

Lol, Copy + Paste OBSE files into Oblivion folder?

It is weird though. The one I originally installed was working fine with Steam then one day, it just decided NO. All OBSE files were in the Oblivion, though I couldn't use the OBSE_loader.exe because it wasn't for Steam (example: If I clicked the obse_loader.exe, it would give me some error message telling me "THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT REEETAAARRRD"). Yet, it worked with Steam for a little while. The new obse_loader.exe I downloaded will let me click it and start Oblivion that way.

• 3 months later...
Hey I'm having a really similar problem... OBSE was working fine with the custom obse_loader.exe you linked, but not with the original silverlock version. Deadly reflex worked fine for a while - but than after I installed Pluggy and Nifscript OBSE stopped working. Does anyone know if Pluggy and NifSE (nifscript) are compatible with steam?

I had nothing but problems trying to run Oblivion through Steam, and it wasn't just because I couldn't get OBSE to work, but it affected many mods that had nothing to do with OBSE. Believe me, you're better off doing what I did to finally get a fully working version of Oblivion on my computer. I purchased the GOTY boxed set from GameStop for twenty five bucks and I've never looked backwards toward the Steam Monster, again -- at least not with Oblivion. There are games which work quite well through Steam, but I'm convinced from all the negative comments I've seen on the Internet regarding Oblivion + Steam that the Steam version of this game is seriously bugged and not worth even the time it takes to download it.

The Steam version of Oblivion works fine and is 100% compatible with any mod on the market that I've tried, which are many. I currently have roughly 100 or so mods active on my current character and run pretty much crash free, very stable. Many of the mods require OBSE, some require Pluggy, others require NifSE, some need Wrye Bash, they all work without a hitch. Just make sure you have the proper (read:Steam) version of OBSE from silverlock.org and you copy the files to the proper directory. Also make sure you have the Steam overlay enabled. After that it's all about following readme's for each individual mod.

Also a simple way to know if OBSE is working when you start Oblivion is you will get a little black DOS box in the upper left when you launch Oblivion. You can launch Oblivion directly from your Steam Library, no reason not to. I'm really not sure why people have problems unless it's just lack of reading documentation and just diving in head first. Anyway I'll try and help anyway I can but it's really as simple as following the readme's, it's all I did and it's been working for years.

• 2 years later...

The problem here is that the newer version of the steam Launcher aka the main steam program do not add the subfolder Valve to the list mine is C:\Program Files x86\Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion (yes i'm using a 64 bit version of Windows 7 and yes i can get Oblivion to run unfortantly i have to tell Windows to run it as Admin however the obse files don't play nicely with Steam. and i'm beginning to wonder if it might have to do with the fact my Windows is 64bit. may have to tweak the obse so it will work under 64bit OS

one small thing wasn't there a command you could run under the console that would return the version of OBSE if it was running correctly, I know there is for SKSE