thekrimzonghost

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, looks like a recent Steam update broke the game on POL:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-12878-Skyrim__Failure_to_Launch.html

Which may explain why I had it working fine in the afternoon, and then having it refuse to even start after dinner. [sigh]

After trying several reinstalls, I ran it in debug and got:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bcbc3c4 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 007f, blocked by 007b, retrying (60 sec)

Searching on that, led me to the thread posted above. So now I'm installing wine 1.7.36, and we'll see.

ETA: 1.7.36 got me started; it fixed the issue noted above.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I followed some of the methods described in this thread and got everything to work. Here is what I did:

1. PlayOnLinux > tools > manage wine versions > install 1.7.34-csmt (good performance) > install steam and Skyrim in that version of wine

2. Install SKSE as thekrimzonghost described

3. PlayOnLinux > tools > manage wine versions > install 1.7.39 (highest version right now, im guessing it will have best compatability)

4. PlayOnLinux > Configure > select the 1.7.39 prefix > Navigave to install components tab > select the following components (my list is considerably shorter than others mentioned in this thread, its best to try and minimize the number of components/overrides, maybe it can still be shorter by removing physx): dotnet40, msxml8, msvc90, physx

5. download scrun.dll file from http://originaldll.com/file/scrrun.dll/2011.html. Then navigate to 1.7.39 prefix on your HDD(might be at home_folder/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives) find the folder /drive_c/windows/system32/ and overwrite the scrun.dll file there with the one you downloaded.

6. Install FNIS in the 1.7.34-csmt(not the 1.7.39 one) prefix as thekrimzonghost described.

7. PlayOnLinux > Configure > select the 1.7.39 prefix > WINE > Configure Wine > Windows Version > WIndows 7

8. After you installed your desired mods and FNIS in the Skyrim folder on the 1.7.34 prefix, you can run FNIS via the 1.7.39 as follows PlayOnLinux > Configure > select the 1.7.39 prefix > Navigavte to Miscellenous > Run a exe in this drive. Seems to work flawless for me and I can see the animations in game.

9. Run the game in the 1.7.34-csmt prefix with: PlayOnLinux > Configure > select the 1.7.34-csmt prefix > Navigave to Miscellenous > Run a exe > skse_loader.exe

Thanks for the input - very helpful! That said, after having reinstalled from scratch 5-6 times, I don't plan on doing it again unless I *have* to. ;)

Steam/Skyrim won't run on vanilla 1.7.34, not for me anyway, as I noted in my previous post. I run it - and everything else - on 1.7.36

As an aside, I found that when running Skyrim for the first time, it installs its own libs. In order:

- Directx9

- DotNet35

- VisualC Redist

Which is an odd order since DirectX will fail to install because it needs DotNet35 installed - yet the installer runs after this. I "solved" that by manually running Skyrim's DotNet installer manually.

Going further on a tangent, Skyrim utils that work/don't work for me:

- Creation Kit: very flaky, prone to crashing or freezing (but apparently it is as flaky in Windows).

- Nexus Mod Manager: don't work

- Wyre Bash: doesn't work

- Mod Manager: crashes at start 75% of the time. (*)

- Tes5Edit: works fine

- Save Game Cleaner: Works

(*) I don't use Mod Manager to handle mods, nor as a skyrim loader. I found it too late and so install most things manually. But it is handy for dealing with those mods that have many optional parts, such as XP32 Maximum Skeleton, for example.

• 1 month later...

A very helpful post. Thanks!

If it is useful to someone. Wyre Bash works whit Mod organizer.

Be sure to install python (included in the installer package).

Add executable in Mod Organizer with the following parameters:

Binary: Path to\pythonw.exe

Start in: Path to\WryeBash\Mopy

Arguments: "Patth to\WryeBash\Mopy\Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw" (quotes necesary)

I use Wine stagging 1.7.41 via Playonlinux but surely work whit other releases.

Game works fine but runs out of memory easily with many mods, much more than in Windows, causing black textures and crash in a long run.

Has anyone been able to use ENBoost or Loot?